• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Infinite Battle

Yew Wan Sum

Infinite Battle

First, there was Infinite Cycling via CF. Now there is infinite fighting!

Some history is in order. Back in 2021 I discovered a way to keep fighting indefinitely without running out of, or even using up any, troops. This discovery was made possible by two incredible and highly useful resources:

The higher age units guide is a labor of love that took a long time to put together. At first it was believed you needed to be in CE in order to do this, but eventually they worked all the way forward and back to identify the way to get up to OF troops in Indy. Truly a herculean effort!

Higher Age Units Guide v2.20 | Forge of Empires Forum

The FoElite spreadsheet showing attack/defense ratios is another amazing piece of work. I have found it to be accurate in terms of the actual mechanics of unit vs unit based SOLELY on attack and defense.

FoElite Ultimate Damage Calculator for Forge of Empires

I won’t go into the usage of each of these. You should check them out because they are awesome. It was only because of these two sources that I was able to discover and accomplish the Infinite Battle Lineup. Shoulders of giants, indeed.

The information in the FoElite Ultimate Damage Calculator alone is golden, but it does not reflect the true mechanics of battle in Foe. There is movement, initiative, special abilities, GB effects, etc. which all play a critical role.

What is obvious from the spreadsheet, however, is that once you surpass a 20:1 attack to defense ratio(attack value of your unit vs defense value of opposing unit), you are guaranteed a 1-hit kill on the opposing unit unless the unit has extra health or a special ability that reduces damage.

So...what if there was a way to create a lineup where the attacking units can all strike first, before any of the enemy units, and always do 1-hit kills? There is!

Knowing that I needed a 20:1 ratio for attack and defense, it simply wouldn’t be possible to attain this ratio while fighting using same age troops. This is where the Higher Age Units Guide above comes in. I figured I needed to find something that I could get in the lowest age possible(Indy) that had a really high base attack so that, once my attack bonus was taken into account, I could reach the 20:1 mark. Everyone raves about hovers, so I started there, but they are useless for our objective. They can’t reach and attack any enemy in round 1 and are not guaranteed to go first.

Say hello to my little friends….Recon Raiders! I set about looking at units to determine which ones may fit the need and I came across these often scoffed at troops. RR are an AF troop with movement of 36 and range of 9. For those unfamiliar, generally speaking but with a few special cases, the movement of a unit determines its initiative, or the order in which units act. 36 is higher than just about anything. Unless there is some special ability taking effect, RR are going to go first.

This means that Recon Raiders from AF when coupled against ANY lineup from Industrial Age, result in the Recon Raiders going first (no Indy troops have abilities like advanced deployment, etc. and Recon Raiders have almost the highest initiative of any troops in FoE) and since Recon Raiders have a movement of 36 plus a range of 9, they can easily cross any map and strike the enemy on 1st turn.

Now, can we guarantee a 1-hit? Yes! With at least 480% attack, the RR will have more than 20 times the defense of the toughest unit in Indy, the Jaeger Infantry. Careful, though. This is only at attrition 0. As attrition goes up in GBG, or as you get farther into GE, the enemy troops gain in strength. Here are some intervals for what attack% is needed for a given attrition level:

750% attack = 15 attrition
1000% attack = 23 attrition
1250% attack = 28 attrition
1500% attack = 33 attrition
1750% attack = 37 attrition

Bottom line: In Indy, a lineup of 8 Recon Raiders will completely wipe any and every Indy lineup instantly, without taking so much as a single point of damage. This allows you to fight infinitely while consuming zero troops, so long as your attrition says under the point at which the 20:1 ratio is attained. It’s simple to see via the damage calculator what value you need at what attrition.

Not to spout theory without results, I have accumulated hundreds of thousands of fights since I attained my AF and OF troops, and not lost a single troop. I have racked up 21K fights in a single GBG season. (The current record on Birka, at least as far as I’m aware)

IMPORTANT: There is still a caveat or two to discuss.

First, keep in mind what can stop this from working: Indy does not have any units with special abilities that interfere, but if you are facing other age units, you will run into units that make this approach fail. (Shields, Advanced Deployment, etc.) Also, when you are doing GE, you will see lineups with rogues and even drummers, etc. These can also mess up the no-damage, first hit, 1-hit kill. Switch to another formation for those(see below).

Second, sometimes the AI on FoE is just plain stupid.

VERY rarely, like 1 in 20-30 battles, the AI will pick a dumb target order or choose to move a Recon Raider without attacking. This usually happens on maps that have a lot of terrain. If you’ve ever watched the AI play, you’ll see sometimes it just stacks troops up one behind another rather than picking a different path. Also, a technicality of note is that starting in PE, the map scales distance by 1.5. Because you are using AF troops, you will be on at least an AF map, not the normal Indy ones. This is what I believe makes this occasional glitch possible. When this happens, you will accumulate 1 point of damage on 1 unit.

So far, the rate of this happening is so low that, on average, the diamonds I have won as a result of battles have more than paid for the cost of repairs. I just keep clicking autobattle until I see I need 2-3 heals(after 100+ battles), then click a heal all and press on.

Overall, battle is so fast, you are limited effectively by your internet connection latency to the server, the speed of your computer, and the programmed delay in FoE button response. On my machine, on a good day, I can consistently do less than 2 seconds a battle. (two wave battles require another click, rewards add yet another, etc.) There is no one faster in the guild, or that I have seen on the server. I never have to replace troops so I literally just mash the buttons. Without an exploit, the UI of FoE just doesnt go any faster than that.

So there it is, the Infinite Battle Lineup! But wait, there’s more!

Obviously, you want to manage your attrition so you can stay in the range of 1-hits. This is done by every big hitter in GBG already, so I won’t dwell on it much. Going beyond the ‘max’ attrition for Infinite Battle doesn’t mean you have to stop, of course. That’s the point that I switch to Turturret + 7 rogues. With that I can autobattle with minimal rogue losses until >100 attrition. I have gone up to 146 with autobattle.(Avoid lineups with more than 3 Lancers, i.e. fast units) Of course, your speed drops significantly when you do this because you are back to having to replace troops every now and then, and you will be spending diamonds to heal the Turturret here and there, but it’s enough that anyone with 1250% or more attack in a decent guild that builds camps should be able to pull in 1500 advances per day. Also, you will have a ton of rogues to burn through because you never need Indy troops so your Traz can kick out nothing but rogues every day. I have ~35K.

Other notes:

AO loses its value when using this strategy because you are never attacking same age units.

Mathematically and systematically this works in PE (but no higher), but I haven't personally done it.

Your +att%/+def ratio can be focused mostly on +att%. I use a 2:1 ratio +att% to +def%. More def allows you to go higher when IB-mode is over.

GE is cake, even GE5, BUT you should use hover or turturret + 7 rogues on the fights that have rogues, drummers, etc. otherwise your RRs will take some damage.

You might not need a Traz once you have sufficient rogues. I go through so few of them, and only after IB mode ends and I’m back to using turtle/rogue above 100 attrition, that I have a stock of about 40K. How many do I really need? At this point, being in Indy, the 70 squares might be better than a Traz.

Latency matters. Some Internet Service Providers read and track https traffic and it introduces latency. Using a VPN bypasses this overhead assuming you have a reasonably nearby VPN server location. It makes a noticeable difference in how fast I can battle. You need a reasonably fast machine too.

I hope you have enjoyed reading and next time you start a new city, give the Infinite Battle strategy a try! My home is on Birka and I'm already helping a few who are trying this and would happily assist others who want to see what its about. :)

Yew Wan Sum

qaccy

What is obvious from the spreadsheet, however, is that once you surpass a 20:1 attack to defense ratio(attack value of your unit vs defense value of opposing unit), you are guaranteed a 1-hit kill on the opposing unit unless the unit has extra health or a special ability that reduces damage.
This was the big takeaway from the guide for me. I never really looked to see what the magic number was for achieving one-hit kills and this is something that's pretty easy to remember.

xivarmy

the numbers in his spreadsheet seem a bit off... these are mine from testing:

Min AD RatioMax AD Ratio
01-010.00000.2515
01-020.25200.3454
01-030.34600.4546
01-040.45550.5100
02-040.51090.5966
02-050.59770.7032
03-050.70330.7989
03-060.80040.9216
04-060.92341.1093
04-071.11071.2105
05-071.21281.6160
06-071.62081.6592
06-081.66402.2448
07-082.24962.9395
07-092.94503.3600
08-093.36675.9431
09-095.95569.3164
09-109.331618.9156
10-1018.96899,999.0000

(max ad and min ad for the next range have a gap because I didn't have a test case for them to narrow it further).

Infinite fighting at 37 attrition is hardly special however :p No serious fighter worries about attrition numbers that low - even if they do occasionally have to sub out a troop. (and on my indy-camping-world i don't take scratches with my turtles yet for a while past then to justify using something different for the first 37 fights).

Last edited:

Yew Wan Sum

the numbers in his spreadsheet seem a bit off... these are mine from testing:

Min AD RatioMax AD Ratio
01-010.00000.2515
01-020.25200.3454
01-030.34600.4546
01-040.45550.5100
02-040.51090.5966
02-050.59770.7032
03-050.70330.7989
03-060.80040.9216
04-060.92341.1093
04-071.11071.2105
05-071.21281.6160
06-071.62081.6592
06-081.66402.2448
07-082.24962.9395
07-092.94503.3600
08-093.36675.9431
09-095.95569.3164
09-109.331618.9156
10-1018.96899,999.0000

(max ad and min ad for the next range have a gap because I didn't have a test case for them to narrow it further).

Infinite fighting at 37 attrition is hardly special however :p No serious fighter worries about attrition numbers that low - even if they do occasionally have to sub out a troop. (and on my indy-camping-world i don't take scratches with my turtles yet for a while past then to justify using something different for the first 37 fights).

I do appreciate people that bring data! I'm not sure if they would update the spreadsheet but you might try reaching out to the author. They may want to see the data. Actually I am curious as to how the data was gathered and what the dataset size was. You have a lot of significant digits there, and no uncertainty was specified, alluding to a large sample size. Just curious because I'm into that. :)

Kinda ruined it with that last statement though. Logical fallacies following analysis results are particularly jarring. :) Fallacy aside, the lack of definition of 'serious fighter' is problematic on its own. The real clincher though, is that bit about "the first 37 fights." There is an implication there that somehow attrition and fights are synonymous, and the whole thing about 'not worrying about attrition that low' is... Well, since we are already way into opinion territory, I will bite and supply my own. (Something along the lines of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" are going through my mind =P)

As someone who has ~2K fights on a typical day of a decent season, and just a few days ago put in 3273, also having >250K GBG fights on Birka, I volunteer for designation as a 'serious fighter'. You may accept or reject that claim. Regardless, I assure you that I do very much care about managing attrition and it is my sincere belief based on what I hear from those I play with that others do as well. None of us wants to be fighting at high attrition (but we will!) so MOST of our battles are at very low attrition. Unless you are in a guild which is overwhelmed on the map, even in a war season you can arrange proper camp support and stay low for a long time. In my case, this season, which is NOT a great one by any means, on a typical 'playing' day I will get 2000 hits, and end up around 50ish attrition by the time we are on the last cycle before reset, at which time I will just burn up whatever sectors are open until I hit 100(my daily goal). I'd say 1750 of those hits are in full IB mode. So I completely disagree with the assertion that 37 attrition doesn't matter.

Second, besides 'getting hits', the other major thing that I and those I play with value is speed. Simply put, given identical computer speeds and network latency, if we are racing a sector and I am in IB mode, and you are not, I win 100% of the time, and by a fair amount, not just a fight or two. The exact difference depends on a lot of variables including luck, but IB is the speed king, period. Of course, if you have a slower machine, or bad latency, IB wont make you faster than your comp or network allows, but the lack of those extra clicks always makes it better than it would otherwise be.

Don't knock it till you try it! If you are an Indy camper and have those RRs, give them a few thousand hits. Then do whatever you like best, no one will force you to do otherwise. :)

Thank you for the data and debate opportunity, they are both appreciated.

-Yew

xivarmy

I do appreciate people that bring data! I'm not sure if they would update the spreadsheet but you might try reaching out to the author. They may want to see the data. Actually I am curious as to how the data was gathered and what the dataset size was. You have a lot of significant digits there, and no uncertainty was specified, alluding to a large sample size. Just curious because I'm into that. :)

Kinda ruined it with that last statement though. Logical fallacies following analysis results are particularly jarring. :) Fallacy aside, the lack of definition of 'serious fighter' is problematic on its own. The real clincher though, is that bit about "the first 37 fights." There is an implication there that somehow attrition and fights are synonymous, and the whole thing about 'not worrying about attrition that low' is... Well, since we are already way into opinion territory, I will bite and supply my own. (Something along the lines of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" are going through my mind =P)

As someone who has ~2K fights on a typical day of a decent season, and just a few days ago put in 3273, also having >250K GBG fights on Birka, I volunteer for designation as a 'serious fighter'. You may accept or reject that claim. Regardless, I assure you that I do very much care about managing attrition and it is my sincere belief based on what I hear from those I play with that others do as well. None of us wants to be fighting at high attrition (but we will!) so MOST of our battles are at very low attrition. Unless you are in a guild which is overwhelmed on the map, even in a war season you can arrange proper camp support and stay low for a long time. In my case, this season, which is NOT a great one by any means, on a typical 'playing' day I will get 2000 hits, and end up around 50ish attrition by the time we are on the last cycle before reset, at which time I will just burn up whatever sectors are open until I hit 100(my daily goal). I'd say 1750 of those hits are in full IB mode. So I completely disagree with the assertion that 37 attrition doesn't matter.

Second, besides 'getting hits', the other major thing that I and those I play with value is speed. Simply put, given identical computer speeds and network latency, if we are racing a sector and I am in IB mode, and you are not, I win 100% of the time, and by a fair amount, not just a fight or two. The exact difference depends on a lot of variables including luck, but IB is the speed king, period. Of course, if you have a slower machine, or bad latency, IB wont make you faster than your comp or network allows, but the lack of those extra clicks always makes it better than it would otherwise be.

Don't knock it till you try it! If you are an Indy camper and have those RRs, give them a few thousand hits. Then do whatever you like best, no one will force you to do otherwise. :)

Thank you for the data and debate opportunity, they are both appreciated.

-Yew
I use recons and eels for continent on that world. But as I said, if the stopping point is 37 attrition, i have no issues before 37 attrition anyways :p First scratches are usually around 60 attrition.

As for the "serious fighter" comment, I meant that you could be in SAJM and do cheap fights to 37 attrition (and probably significantly higher since you won't mind the occasional casualty when its your own age units) on full auto without a care in the world - it doesn't take above-era troops to do that - your recon raiders are not special, it's the siege camps doing the work (and for a low age camper at attrition that low I'm just as fast using my 4 turtles, 2 rails, 2 rogues setup I promise - i already take no damage that low to justify a different setup).

Where advanced troops *do* have an advantage is fighting at high attrition. You want to present a comfy way to fight at 150 attrition, then I'll call that impressive :) (I've reached a point where it's quite possible, but not comfy - i either have to fight slow on manual or burn diamonds on auto when i hit bad luck if i go that high).

---

As for the data, it's not the sort of thing you need a large sample size of. You do an A/D calculation and see what the range is. Then change it by a bit (say by disconnecting a boost source) and see if the expected range changes. As long as you have the calculation down right when you start sampling (which i haven't verified his spreadsheet's formulas as I find the organization on it a bit chaotic and I have my own), the uncertainty on where the cutoff is is between the max for one range and the min for the next that I did not have the granularity to check between - in some cases I got it down to 0.001 (the flip-over point from 2-5 to 3-5). In other cases it wasn't so precise. I used a variety of units and boost levels on both my end and the target (primarily GvG when I was collecting this because I didn't have to be in a rush to collect numbers for every matchup in a battle) to try and hit in between my established max and the next min repeatedly to get them where they are. But if it's between my listed min and max for a range I'm 100% certain that it'll display the range listed - it's only the uncovered numbers that i'm uncertain of.

It appears he used a similar process as his "defender column" resembles my max and his "attacker column" my min. But he has larger missing gaps between them so probably didn't try as hard to nail down where the transition happened.

There is an interesting hypothesis I have that the distribution within the range changes as well - that when you're barely inside 1-3 instead of 1-2, you will almost never roll a 3. but by the time you're almost to 1-4, 3s will be pretty common. That would take a sample size to verify however and I haven't had the energy to do so - that's purely anecdotal :)