• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Thanksgiving

Johnny B. Goode

Haha, funny thread!

I was born and raised in MA. I've gone on field trips to the Mayflower as well to Plymouth Rock. I lived only an hour - hour and a half away from Plymouth. I was greatly taught about the history behind the pilgrims that came to Plymouth and the resulting "Thanksgiving."

Peace is something that had to be created. Native Americans were absolutely not welcoming to foreigners they couldn't understand. The settlers weren't exactly friendly either. You are aware that England sent prisoners to America to get rid of them before the Mayflower arrived, right? The first settlers were very far from being good people.

However, that first Thanksgiving between the Natives and Pilgrims IS how Thanksgiving came to be.
Sorry, but just because you SAY SO doesn't mean it's true.

Johnny B. Goode

Right back at you!
Ah, but I quoted an expert on the subject. Plus, Abraham Lincoln never mentioned the Pilgrim feast when proclaiming Thanksgiving. Nor did the Continental Congress, nor President Washington. In fact, none of those even mentioned a feast at all. Just prayer and thanksgiving. And "harvest" wasn't mentioned specifically, either, mostly just the abundance of the land among many other things. Furthermore, most of the proclamations designated days in December, January and even February, in addition to November, which separates them even more from the concept of that harvest meal. Go to the Pilgrim Hall Museum website and read the proclamations for yourself.