• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[FAQ] Help, I am being plundered!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8152
  • Start date

DeletedUser30312

And I think therein lies the fundamental problem that's got people so up-in-arms about this whole thing: if you want a snowball's chance in hell of being successful in this game, the only way to do it is to dump hundreds of dollars into it. You want watchfires/ritual flames? You want a complete blueprint set for GBs in a reasonable time frame? You have to spend your actual money to the point of possibly putting yourself in a tight spot financially. Algona, as correct as you are in what you've said, you're an exception.

Wrong.

I haven't spent a dime on this game, and I'm quite successful. I seldom get threatened by other players, I'm usually in the neighborhood top 5, and I gladly farm the other neighbors when I get a chance. I've even farmed people who were clearly big spenders in the early ages, those who loaded their cities down with toms of premium buildings, including roads. As I level, these players get less common, and the big spenders aren't the ones who buy premium buildings that will eventually be obsolete, but rather powerful buildings that can be earned during events. F2P requires some amount of patience, but that means not rushing through the early stages of the game and learning how the game works and how to optimize one's play. I've read advice both here and on the wiki, I've watched videos on YouTube and so on and learned the various strategies to improve my gameplay. There isn't necessarily a "best" way of doing things, but there are a number of optimal and suboptimal approaches to the game, and being successful means learning what those are.

It also means finding an active guild that actually bothers to help its players by creating FP swap threads for GBs, actively trading, and maybe making an actual effort at guild activities like GvG or especially GE. If you're in a guild that doesn't actively trade, where there's no common threads for basic FP swapping, where the leaders are inactive and don't unlock the higher levels of GE and don't clean out the other inactive members that slowly build up in the guild, then no, you're not going to advance. A decent guild makes all the difference. Oh and BTW, Ritual Flames don't require any spending to acquire since you can only get them in the GE, and guess what you need here? A good guild, not a fat credit card.

Getting that first GB can be a bit tricky (not counting the Oracle), but once you start building them, it gets easier, especially if you have people helping you level the GBs. By swapping FPs with each other, not only does your own GB level, but you have the chance to profit from the other players' GBs when they level. That's an important source of BPs. It's generally best in a new city to guild hop a few days and gather BPs by aiding until you have enough to build to build at least the Zeus or LoA, but even if a new player doesn't do that, they can still use the Oracle in a decent guild to swap FPs until they've build better GBs. By aiding other players regularly, and it helps to have a good guild here and a well-developed list of friends, you can slowly gather the BPs. A pretty good guild can also help you acquire the goods you need, especially with the higher level GBs with powerful effects.

So no, don't start whining that I'm a whale and that it's so unfair to you because to put it bluntly, you're playing sloppy. Slow down, learn how the game works, improve your strategy and make strategic alliances.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35712

UujuOqB.png

DeletedUser31735

Idiot, you are all over the place!!! You crack me up!! What server do you play?

DeletedUser35712

Idiot, you are all over the place!!! You crack me up!! What server do you play?
My US main is on Jaims, but I don't play too much on the US server as I don't find as much enjoyment in it. I mostly play on the Finnish server Cirgard because it's relatively new and I'm trying to be one of the first ten people to get Alcatraz and Chateau. It's quite a rat race there.

Salsuero

And I think therein lies the fundamental problem that's got people so up-in-arms about this whole thing: if you want a snowball's chance in hell of being successful in this game, the only way to do it is to dump hundreds of dollars into it.

In October/November of 2016, as I started my game, I put $40 ($20 x 2) into this game... because I was naïve and didn't know better and I wanted some diamonds for event currency. And then I figured things out. I haven't spent a dime since and I feel great for where I am vs. where I wanna be. You are a weak player and it shows in your complaints. You don't need to spend a single dollar if you don't want to and you can still have a ton of fun playing this game. If you can't figure out how... try another game because this one is not for you.

Volodya

And I think therein lies the fundamental problem that's got people so up-in-arms about this whole thing: if you want a snowball's chance in hell of being successful in this game, the only way to do it is to dump hundreds of dollars into it. You want watchfires/ritual flames? You want a complete blueprint set for GBs in a reasonable time frame? You have to spend your actual money to the point of possibly putting yourself in a tight spot financially. Algona, as correct as you are in what you've said, you're an exception.

My biggest issue with this game--and I suspect this aligns with surferbum's issue--is not the attacking/plundering. Because really, plundering happens so sporadically that it doesn't legitimately affect people. My biggest issue is that I'm always in a neighborhood with people who are practically invincible due to spending untold hundreds of dollars, and I get farmed along with those of us who are on par with our own advancement but don't have that kind of money. This is just a game, but the developers allow people to dump limitless amounts of money into it like they're investing in stock. The standard has shifted so drastically that those of us who play normally are being targeted by these players and blamed for "not collecting on time," "not playing right," "not understanding the game," or something equally stupid. You can understand the game and do everything humanly possible, but still be butt-f***ed on a daily basis due to unregulated pay-to-win. It's not our fault, and it honestly shouldn't be our responsibility to treat this game like a job (I saw that mentioned in someone else's comment) just so we can play at all.

So Jenny, your comment only applies in one of two situations: you're either attacking, or being attacked by, someone in your immediate point range. I will agree that it can be superior gameplay, but only if both people are evenly matched. Otherwise it's not superior gameplay; it's exploiting the pay-to-win feature.

As a general solution to the problem, I say force the advanced players (the ones with millions of points) into their own neighborhood and make them submit to the game's limitations of fighting on a level field. You know, like the rest of us. If players like surferbum are being attacked by people whose cities are nothing but special event buildings, GBs, and watchfires, then it's not unreasonable for them to be upset about the way the game is structured. As it stands, there is no effective counter-balance to this pay-to-win nonsense, and I think it's something InnoGames needs to address and fix.
Um... You do understand that Inno is a business and without these "play to win" players who upset you so much Inno will go broke and no one will be able to play at all? Would that really solve your problem? Seems like lose-lose, but I guess ymmv. In any case, if you're diligent in GE I guarantee you you'll win enough RFs to deter all but the very most dedicated aggressors... without spending a cent.

And for the record, I've been playing for quite awhile now and I've never once plundered anyone except in retaliation, so I have no hidden agenda in this comment.

Edit: "play to win" is a typo obviously; meant to echo "pay to win" from the OP. Hopefully we ALL "play to win", although sometimes I do have to wonder.

Last edited:

DeletedUser30900

Um... You do understand that Inno is a business and without these "play to win" players who upset you so much Inno will go broke and no one will be able to play at all? Would that really solve your problem? Seems like lose-lose, but I guess ymmv. In any case, if you're diligent in GE I guarantee you you'll win enough RFs to deter all but the very most dedicated aggressors... without spending a cent.

And for the record, I've been playing for quite awhile now and I've never once plundered anyone except in retaliation, so I have no hidden agenda in this comment.
you are always welcomed to join the team:)

DeletedUser27927

To be honest, I've been on both ends of this exchange and find it an exercise in futility.

Getting plundered is in some ways mentally taxing, but if it's only one other player hitting you, so much of your daily production ends up in inventory that it doesn't slow you down that much. Likewise, as a plunderer, I found that the booty wasn't worth the effort. It takes gobs and gobs of time and at the end of the day you don't end up with that much of the other players' stuff.

In the end, the big disuader is that the PLUNDERER's losses are permanent but the DEFENDER gets all his forces back. And you can always do thing like note the time when another player hits and throw up a defender boost from your tavern or your inventory. Plunderers are rare enough that it makes sense to tune your defensive forces to those of the would-be plunderer. Won't necessarily stop the plunderer, but it'll increase the losses and cut into the profit.

It IS a valid point that some people can go out and buy their way to "successful" plundering. I'm not sure I'd resent such a player. I'd laugh at them. Inno Games sure is--all the way to the bank. Remember: this is just a game. And another thing is that a good guild can do a LOT to help you economically.

I DID run into one guy who tried to make a sadistic game of trolling other players and getting into their heads, along with plundering their cities. He was VERY immature, especially considering that I'm in my 50's and he's even older than I am. He's under a no contact directive. I've got better things to do than deal with trolls with third-rate values.

DeletedUser27927

No, I don't understand that at all. In fact, I can't find any proof of it other than BECAUSE YOU SAID SO. There are other ways to earn a living. And, given the distinct possiblilty that some of these players are paupering themselves, I would find the prospect of ONE company going broke VASTLY preferable to that of MANY of their "customers" doing so.

But I'll admit that I have a chip on my shoulder. I'm a programmer with the obligatory college degree, but I'm disabled and have trouble finding work. Money doesn't exactly grow on trees for me, and this colors my attitudes. Mind you, I respect people who can handle a programming tool as complex as Flash, but I resent a company that, among other things, practices slavery (they call them "volunteer moderators" but I have an entirely different perspective on the situation).

DeletedUser

No, I don't understand that at all. In fact, I can't find any proof of it other than BECAUSE YOU SAID SO. There are other ways to earn a living. And, given the distinct possiblilty that some of these players are paupering themselves, I would find the prospect of ONE company going broke VASTLY preferable to that of MANY of their "customers" doing so.

But I'll admit that I have a chip on my shoulder. I'm a programmer with the obligatory college degree, but I'm disabled and have trouble finding work. Money doesn't exactly grow on trees for me, and this colors my attitudes. Mind you, I respect people who can handle a programming tool as complex as Flash, but I resent a company that, among other things, practices slavery (they call them "volunteer moderators" but I have an entirely different perspective on the situation).
A) One company going broke, especially a large one, means that there are many people now out of work. And hard working people, not morons who don't know any better than to spend themselves into the poorhouse in a game.
B) There is no proof that any players are "paupering" themselves other than "BECAUSE YOU SAID SO".
C) I am older than you, retired on a fixed income. I spend a little bit of money on the game, and I appreciate the people that spend a lot, because it pays the people that work hard to provide this entertaining pastime for us.
D) It's insensitive of you to characterize people volunteering (and receiving game currency as compensation) for a position that has very flexible requirements to the condition of slavery, which was/is forced and cruel. And it's rather hypocritical to resent the company for a perfectly acceptable practice and resent the "whales" that spend money on the game, and yet spend your free time reaping the benefits of their work/contributions.

DeletedUser35712

I resent a company that, among other things, practices slavery (they call them "volunteer moderators" but I have an entirely different perspective on the situation).

Man, now I can't put any volunteer positions for any companies on my future resume because that's officially slavery. Slavery doesn't look good on a resume, I think. What do you guys think?

DeletedUser35712

Likewise, as a plunderer, I found that the booty wasn't worth the effort. It takes gobs and gobs of time and at the end of the day you don't end up with that much of the other players' stuff.
Not really. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of times when I collected other people in the hood. Sure, for the first two days of the hood change, might take some time, but once you calibrate your spreadsheet with your phone notifications, you can just get notified when somebody's goods are up.
In the end, the big disuader is that the PLUNDERER's losses are permanent but the DEFENDER gets all his forces back.
Losses become much less of an issue once you got a rogue hideout and a high-level Alcatraz.
No, I don't understand that at all. In fact, I can't find any proof of it other than BECAUSE YOU SAID SO.
What, do you need a peer-reviewed scientific paper published in a respected academic journal as the amount of proof necessary to support @Volodya 's assertion? Do you think a non-MOBA, non-FPS game can even get enough profits through other means?
There are other ways to earn a living.
Like what, different skins for different buildings? In a game like Forge, I'm willing to wedge a bet that very few would want to pay Inno for custom building skins

Salsuero

Man, now I can't put any volunteer positions for any companies on my future resume because that's officially slavery. Slavery doesn't look good on a resume, I think. What do you guys think?

Depends on the position. If you're applying to be a slave somewhere else, you'd have relevant experience. I'd say go for it! What's the worst they can do... not let you be a slave? I'm guessing that's a win-win?!

DeletedUser35603

It's becoming a problem. He was able to plunder one of my Foeberge Shops early this morning because I fell asleep without setting things up for a time when I was awake. If he keeps attacking every single morning, which he's been doing since he got put into my neighborhood, he's going to be able to plunder more buildings. I don't have much, and I don't know why he wants what little I have when he's obviously got so much more than I do. I was in a much more level neighborhood before this one, where I wasn't at the very top, but nobody was attacking and plundering every single day.

1. don't fall asleep while playing the game.
2. have all your items collected as soon as they become collectable.
3. put up a city shield.
4. if you don't want to be plundered, don't research military tactics which allows for PvP.
5. Write to your attacker. Put some fps to his GB's. Let him know its better to be productive together than counter-productive as enemies.
6. i stayed in the iron age for the longest time, built a solid basis with GB's before I advanced. I learned combat. I got an Alcatraz and learned that having just a Rogue Hideout and a Champion Retreat would solve a vast majority of combat situation where i would be free of attacks (they hit me, I counter-attack and hit them back). You know, i have seen people in the Colonial Age without a solid development, no military, no GB's, etc. Don't be a part of the problem, be a part of the solution.
7. now, i am usually #1 on my hood and do not get attacked.

DeletedUser27927

A) One company going broke, especially a large one, means that there are many people now out of work. And hard working people, not ones who don't know any better than to spend themselves into the poorhouse in a game.
B) There is no proof that any players are "paupering" themselves other than "BECAUSE YOU SAID SO".
C) I am older than you, retired on a fixed income. I spend a little bit of money on the game, and I appreciate the people that spend a lot, because it pays the people that work hard to provide this entertaining pastime for us.
D) It's insensitive of you to characterize people volunteering (and receiving game currency as compensation) for a position that has very flexible requirements to the condition of slavery, which was/is forced and cruel. And it's rather hypocritical to resent the company for a perfectly acceptable practice and resent the "whales" that spend money on the game, and yet spend your free time reaping the benefits of their work/contributions.

A) I detect the conservative tone of "makers and takers" BS. If they're "working hard" at conning other people out of their quite-possibly-ALSO honestly earned money, they don't belong in business anyway.
B) I never claimed that there was. It was a hypothetical discussion.
C) It is informative to hear of your situation, and your attitudes, as long as you do not make the mistake of comparing them to some fantasy you have built up from the oversimplified description that I gave previously. I continue to play this game, and I, too, occasionally spend some of my financial resources on it.
D) So what? It was insensitive of you to write your comment B) but that didn't stop you. And it is presumptous of you to imply that work equates to riches, especially in the modern-day United States. That may have been true at one time, but it isn't anymore.

Graviton

A) I detect the conservative tone of "makers and takers" BS.

Comparing volunteering to slavery and believing players are "paupering themselves" is emotional hogwash.

I don't spend real dollars on this game but I'm glad other people do, or I wouldn't be able to play it. Without profit the company can't continue; that's not politics, it's basic economics. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser35712

A) I detect the conservative tone of "makers and takers" BS. If they're "working hard" at conning other people out of their quite-possibly-ALSO honestly earned money, they don't belong in business anyway.
What?!? How the frick is Inno scamming money out of players? Show me one incident where Inno legitimately scams players, and don’t count the Cherry Blossom sale because players should have checked the details.
B) I never claimed that there was. It was a hypothetical discussion
1Aow5UN.jpg

D) So what? It was insensitive of you to write your comment B) but that didn't stop you.
OOooooooooooohhhhhhhh. Me likey a false equivalence.

And it is presumptous of you to imply that work equates to riches, especially in the modern-day United States. That may have been true at one time, but it isn't anymore.
What? Stephen Longshanks, a conservative? Oh boy, are you in for a treat... Besides, work never equates to riches. Work that is more valued in society leads to riches, and this value can be derived from the market economy that our amazing capitalist society holds. Why are we trying to bring in politics in the first place, and why do you hate conservatives like me by calling us that able-ist slur?
FnaVofA.jpg

DeletedUser

I detect the conservatard "makers and takers" BS. If they're "working hard" at conning other people out of their quite-possibly-ALSO honestly earned money, they don't belong in business anyway.
If you had any brains, you would know my comment was in reference to the company's employees.
It is informative to hear of your situation, and your attitudes, as long as you do not make the mistake of comparing them to some fantasy you have built up from the oversimplified description that I gave previously. I continue to play this game, and I, too, occasionally spend some of my financial resources on it.
Hey, you started with trying to get the sympathy card with your personal situation information, I was just letting you know that it wasn't justification for your attitude.
And it is conservatarded of you to imply that work equates to riches
Please show me where I said, or even implied, that work equates to riches. I'd appreciate it. I grow tired of people responding to statements that I didn't make.

And just for the record, I am neither conservative nor liberal, as either label requires you to be on board with a specific, presently rather rigid, set of opinions. I presently lean liberal, but disagree strongly with a few of their positions on specific issues. I disagree strongly with many, many conservative positions, though. And that is the end of my response to your attempt to turn this into a political discussion.

Salsuero

I'm a progressive liberal (by my own definition and not necessarily yours). You'd make me embarrassed and ashamed to have to claim you as one of our own, so please go somewhere else (politically-speaking). None of what you said is valid of this company. Sad.

B) I never claimed that there was. It was a hypothetical discussion.

Riiiiiight.

C) It is informative to hear of your situation, and your attitudes, as long as you do not make the mistake of comparing them to some fantasy you have built up from the oversimplified description that I gave previously. I continue to play this game, and I, too, occasionally spend some of my financial resources on it.

And you complain about them taking your money and that people spend money to "win" more than others? If you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem! Either way... I'm happy people spend money on this game... so I don't have to. You choose to do so, but it is absolutely not required to enjoy and succeed at this game.

D) So what? It was insensitive of you to write your comment B) but that didn't stop you. And it is presumptous of you to imply that work equates to riches, especially in the modern-day United States. That may have been true at one time, but it isn't anymore.

Ugh. Just... sigh. :rolleyes: This is the kind of crap that makes conservatives point the finger at us and yell "snowflake" and "SJW" crap. Stop being such a victim. You're making us all look bad and we don't need your help for that!