• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Battlegrounds Sucks

lemur

... memory, that is.

Does anyone else have trouble getting this feature to simply load? I enjoy playing it, but I usually get the Shield of Computer Death when I try to open it. I can sometimes get it to load only if I reboot the computer, clear the cache, take a shower, feed the cat, and put the computer on a bed of ice made from deionized water.

Does anyone at InnoGames know how to write subroutines that use minimal memory? These questions are vitally important to me!

Shield of Death.jpeg

Agent327

Only you and it has been that way for as long as I know. You can mention it every few months, but in the end, the problem lies with you and nothing else.

DevaCat

Actually, not just @lemur has problems with it. My game crashes each time I tap to open GBG. Has been for some time now.

I doubt the current generation would recognize tight code if it were to rise up and bite them on the .... Anyway, bloated and inefficient code's been a problem industry-wide for years.

WinnerGR

I doubt the current generation would recognize tight code if it were to rise up and bite them on the .... Anyway, bloated and inefficient code's been a problem industry-wide for years.
Current , aren't you too in the current generation ?
Its no just FoE all games with massive multplayer or bad tight coding have this , I notice iit most when GbG is flashing mad.
So yeah @Agent327 , your wrong though I doubt Inno can do anything abou tit.

DevaCat

Current , aren't you too in the current generation ?
Its no just FoE all games with massive multplayer or bad tight coding have this , I notice iit most when GbG is flashing mad.
So yeah @Agent327 , your wrong though I doubt Inno can do anything abou tit.
Current generation of coders/programmers, and no, I'm not part of that generation. What part of "industry-wide" did you misunderstand?

DevaCat

In that case I wonder what you are using, cause I have no problem at all. Never had.
I'm not at all surprised to hear that; quite a few others regularly report no problems at all. Old iPad, latest version of a dated iOS 9.x, a wifi internet connection that's less than stellar -- take your pick as to cause. I turned off animations long ago, but performance has degraded with each content addition -- Cultural Settlements, AD, Battlegrounds. The more complicated Event schemes have not helped matters either. The current Event for example has been unplayable in my 4 cities as the game crashes each time I try to open the event quest giver or the mini game windows.

On a retiree's fixed income, a new rigs not on the horizon but when I can I'm going to try a wifi booster to see if it helps any. If that doesn't help, I plan to ask Apple to reconsider the game's compatibility claims in the App Store -- supposedly even iOS 8 iPads are compatible, which I cannot possibly imagine being true.

It's a testament to the game's engagement that I still struggle to play it; any other game I would long ago have deleted.

Agent327

I'm not at all surprised to hear that; quite a few others regularly report no problems at all. Old iPad, latest version of a dated iOS 9.x, a wifi internet connection that's less than stellar -- take your pick as to cause. I turned off animations long ago, but performance has degraded with each content addition -- Cultural Settlements, AD, Battlegrounds. The more complicated Event schemes have not helped matters either. The current Event for example has been unplayable in my 4 cities as the game crashes each time I try to open the event quest giver or the mini game windows.

On a retiree's fixed income, a new rigs not on the horizon but when I can I'm going to try a wifi booster to see if it helps any. If that doesn't help, I plan to ask Apple to reconsider the game's compatibility claims in the App Store -- supposedly even iOS 8 iPads are compatible, which I cannot possibly imagine being true.

It's a testament to the game's engagement that I still struggle to play it; any other game I would long ago have deleted.

I have been in your situation. While the game develops and starts to ask more from you, you are left behind. Sadly, if the game did not develope, it would be left behind. Forget about that wifi booster. Unless you are usually far away from your acces point it will not change a thing and you will only waste money.

The way I see it the problem is your outdated system.

lemur

The way I see it the problem is your outdated system.
InnoGames externalizes as many of their costs as possible. Sloppy code is just one more example of this. It would be reasonable to argue that they must do this to be profitable. ("It's a free game" ... yada yada.) However, it would be false to continually blame their users' equipment as the knee-jerk response to complaints. My computer is only three years old, and the OS is newer than that.

But if I'm still playing this game, maybe that's an intelligence test. Hmmm ...

emmagirl2

InnoGames externalizes as many of their costs as possible. Sloppy code is just one more example of this. It would be reasonable to argue that they must do this to be profitable. ("It's a free game" ... yada yada.) However, it would be false to continually blame their users' equipment as the knee-jerk response to complaints. My computer is only three years old, and the OS is newer than that.

But if I'm still playing this game, maybe that's an intelligence test. Hmmm ...
FoE is not as compatible with chrome now

Agent327

My computer is only three years old, and the OS is newer than that.

Makes you wonder why your complaints about the same subject are much older.

About every post you make for many more years is to complain about the game not working right for you. Is it reasonable to continue?

WinnerGR

Last thing you need is my permission. First thing you need is a good computer.
Thats rather discrimenating , you should think about peoples situations , e.g. @emmagirl2 's.
Get a chromebook
However Chromebooks using ARM, are not designed for gaming and at this time, there is very little Forge of Empires are able to about this issue. FoE's developers are looking at this, however they couldn't say when or if a fix will be available.

------------

I would also like to inform you guys that since a recent Chrome update , FoE stopped working as well on Crome and they ( INNO ) now suggest using which are Opera and Firefox Quantum. In general, these browsers will work well with HTML5 as Adobe Flash is being phased out by the various browsers and will no longer be supported. This may cause some issues for players who are using Windows 7 as it is no longer supported by Microsoft and does not work well with HTML5.Edge, and Microsoft IE and regular firefox may cause issues with running the game including freezing or not being able to display the full game.

Last edited:

emmagirl2

Thats rather discrimenating , you should think about peoples situations , e.g. @emmagirl2 's.

However Chromebooks using ARM, are not designed for gaming and at this time, there is very little Forge of Empires are able to about this issue. FoE's developers are looking at this, however they couldn't say when or if a fix will be available.
So i need a gaming pc well i better get a paper round (but you need a bike for that)

WinnerGR

So i need a gaming pc well i better get a paper round (but you need a bike for that)
Its you choice really . The biggest issue with chrome is the user's computer does not have enough ram as chrome is a memory hog coupled with (in a lot of cases) the memory being shared to support video and the computer gets sluggish at best.

lemur

First thing you need is a good computer.
At the risk of belaboring what should be obvious ... I already have a good computer. (And I'm not using Chrome.) Now we just need some tight code from InnoGames. But now I'm repeating myself....