• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

I just microwaved my hand!

Nicholas002

Today I was gonna microwave my lunch at work, so I opened up the door, and it started running! In my mental autopilot of heating up my lunch, I wasn’t thinking, and the backwardness of it turning on when it opened, told the back of my mind to stick my hand in it:eek:
After about 2 seconds, I realized, and pulled my hand out, and shut the door, to minimize the radiation in the room.

my hand felt a little warm, and had a weird tingling feeling. Now, an hour later, it has a dull ache. The pain seems to be coming from the inside of my hand, like the bones or something. Now my elbow and shoulder ache as well, though I’m not sure if this is the cause of it.

thinking of what could have happened had I left my hand in there longer makes me feel nauseous. Think of what happens to a hamburger in a microwave after 30 seconds.

uggh! Now I can’t eat my lunch.

is there anything weird or dangerous like this you have done?

Attachments

• 0C75CBED-F975-4741-92BD-0F06B1E9DAD1.jpeg
    0C75CBED-F975-4741-92BD-0F06B1E9DAD1.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 27

Alpha Persei

Today I was gonna microwave my lunch at work, so I opened up the door, and it started running! In my mental autopilot of heating up my lunch, I wasn’t thinking, and the backwardness of it turning on when it opened, told the back of my mind to stick my hand in it:eek:
After about 2 seconds, I realized, and pulled my hand out, and shut the door, to minimize the radiation in the room.

my hand felt a little warm, and had a weird tingling feeling. Now, an hour later, it has a dull ache. The pain seems to be coming from the inside of my hand, like the bones or something. Now my elbow and shoulder ache as well, though I’m not sure if this is the cause of it.

thinking of what could have happened had I left my hand in there longer makes me feel nauseous. Think of what happens to a hamburger in a microwave after 30 seconds.

uggh! Now I can’t eat my lunch.

is there anything weird or dangerous like this you have done?
i know i shouldn't be laughing ,but this is too funny XD

Alpha Persei

the stupidest/dangerous thing i have done was ,lit my bed on fire once , i had just learn't how to lit a match all by my self and i wanted to see what i could burn with it and i wanted to desperately feel how hot an iron was, so i hid and waited for everyone to look away and then ran and touched the hot iron . but this all happened like a longgg time ago ^ ^

@Nicholas002 hope ur hand is fine

Farfle the smelly

Oh you poor silly thing. I blame your job in covid for making you so spacy.

Have I done something similar? I’ve blown up a microwave accidentally but I wasn’t in the room. Oops? But most of the time I run into doorways when I’m not thinking clearly. Like, bruises on my shoulders and elbows, that kind of run in. Oh! Last Friday I locked myself out of my house! In 95 degree heat. That was fun. Spent $75 on a locksmith. So yes, we all do stupid things.

Edit: I was honestly shocked it was so cheap to get a locksmith. I thought for sure they’d charge me $200+ since I was a captive audience. You bet your sweet petunia I wrote them a glowing yelp review when they left.

Alpha Persei

Have I done something similar? I’ve blown up a microwave accidentally but I wasn’t in the room. Oops? But most of the time I run into doorways when I’m not thinking clearly. Like, bruises on my shoulders and elbows, that kind of run in. Oh! Last Friday I locked myself out of my house! In 95 degree heat. That was fun. Spent $75 on a locksmith. So yes, we all do stupid things.

i do more stupid stuff sometimes without even thinking as well , but i'm wondering how/why did micro wave blow up ?

Last edited:

Farfle the smelly

i do more stupid stuff sometimes without even thing as well , but i'm wondering how?why did micro wave blow up ?
Aluminum foil wrapped burrito. Which I’ve never understood because microwaves can handle certain types of metal. What was it about my chipotle metal that blew it up?

AwesomeAadi10

Aluminum foil wrapped burrito. Which I’ve never understood because microwaves can handle certain types of metal. What was it about my chipotle metal that blew it up?
Aluminum foil is too small and thin for the electric currents of the microwave. Thus, BOOM! That’s why I always put the food wrapped in aluminum foil in a plate for the microwave.

Nicholas002

Aluminum foil is too small and thin for the electric currents of the microwave. Thus, BOOM!
Sorry bud. Microwaves heat the food with exactly that: microwaves. (A certain frequency of electro-magnetic radiation, slightly lower frequency than visible light). The electricity is only needed to produce the microwaves.

Nicholas002

You lost me at electro-magnetic radiation but I’m guessing your right since you seem smart!
E/m radiation is a form of wave energy. It includes radio, microwaves, visible light, uv, x-rays, gamma etc.

The only difference in all these is wavelength and frequency. They are all the same type of energy.

Nicholas002

Fun microwave experiment: mic your hand. JUST KIDDING. DON’T!

Fun microwave experiment: measure the speed of light using a microwave.

get a long chocolate bar, and put it in the microwave, without the spinning plate, so that it stays still.

mic it for like 10 seconds.
since the fixed points in the standing wave (the nodes) receive twice as much energy than the oscillating part (the antinodes),certain parts of the bar will melt more than others. The distance between nodes (the more melted parts) is equal to the wavelength. Since wave speed is equal to frequency times wavelength, and the frequency of microwaves is known, you can calculate the speed of the microwaves, which is the same as the speed of light. (All e/m waves travel at the constant “c”)

try it, and see how close you get. I did it once and got within like 10% error.

DevaCat

Edit: I was honestly shocked it was so cheap to get a locksmith. I thought for sure they’d charge me $200+ since I was a captive audience. You bet your sweet petunia I wrote them a glowing yelp review when they left.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who runs into door jambs lol. I always had hoped that as I evolved I would eventually vibrate at the same frequency as door jambs, and somehow just pass through them. Bruises attest to the fact that I'm just not yet evolved enough! ;)

@Nicholas002, I hope the burns weren't too bad. Could have been worse, you could have stuck your head close to figure out what was going wrong with the microwave!

Oh, anybody else try to hardboil an egg and explode it? Big mess (don't try at home)!

Lady Gato

@Nicholas002 - If you are like most guys, you won't -- but if you still have symptoms tomorrow you should get that checked by a dr. And get rid of the mal functioning microwave.

And among the funniest stupid things I did will get @gintama090 smiling. I had fake fingernails done for my wedding - ya kno long & pretty. Then that night for our honeymoon -- I used matches to light candles - romance, right? Well I accidentally caught those long fingernails on fire. And boy did that room get really stinky from toasted fingernails. :)

Alpha Persei

@Nicholas002 - If you are like most guys, you won't -- but if you still have symptoms tomorrow you should get that checked by a dr. And get rid of the mal functioning microwave.

And among the funniest stupid things I did will get @gintama090 smiling. I had fake fingernails done for my wedding - ya kno long & pretty. Then that night for our honeymoon -- I used matches to light candles - romance, right? Well I accidentally caught those long fingernails on fire. And boy did that room get really stinky from toasted fingernails. :)
that is really funny ^ ^
but i hope it didn't hurt though