• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Interesting observation

I find it quite telling that the “new ideas” section in the forum has been relatively inactive with new ideas for quite some time now. I wonder if it’s the toxic culture created by the “experts” and an unwillingness to subject oneself to such vitriol and vile in a space design to harbor creativity and innovation. No matter the reason, it’s yet revealing.

kmc11

I stopped looking at the section. It's either on DNSL, completely game changing and hence most unlikely to ever be implemented or it gets bashed by people for a variety of reasons. Although there's valid points here and there from my perspective most people are desperately trying to hinder anything that they see no use for, no matter if it may be a use to other people or not.

Graviton

The word "toxic" always makes me laugh.

One problem is that truly new, impactful ideas are quite rare. This game has been around a long time and most every viable idea that could be proposed, has been. It's not creative nor innovative to propose something that's been posted already, nor things that only benefit a particular play style. The proposals section exists for the community to discuss and yes, even pick apart ideas. Call it brain-storming. Not everybody is going to like everything, and that's another problem I see: when an idea gets a negative reaction, people take it personally and assume all disagreement is due to personal motivation and character flaws. That's what I call "toxic".

Agent327

Until recently ideas needed to have sufficient support, before the OP could ask for a poll to be put on it. Now a poll can be put up right away. As a result of that mods can be much more efficient in either moving ideas to the archive, or forwarding them. Fact there are so little active ideas at the moment, shows they are doing a good job. Thank you for observing.

DeletedUser

Until recently ideas needed to have sufficient support, before the OP could ask for a poll to be put on it. Now a poll can be put up right away. As a result of that mods can be much more efficient in either moving ideas to the archive, or forwarding them. Fact there are so little active ideas at the moment, shows they are doing a good job. Thank you for observing.
That is one way to look at the results
I choose another angle - the level and knowledge of forum participants is very low, as such they are unable to appreciate changes that seems to threaten their comfort - as a result the forum is incredible conservative and the game is quite stale

Emberguard

the level and knowledge of forum participants is very low, as such they are unable to appreciate changes that seems to threaten their comfort
And what kind of comfort are we referring to? Cause a lot of ideas presented seem to be all about either increasing comfort or creating a entirely different game, not about getting out of the comfort zone or improving game design.

Kranyar the Mysterious

When good, fresh ideas are introduced here, the majority of people often jump all over themselves to say yes. Ideas that get repeated ad nauseam that are flat out repeats, obviously never going to be implemented, or only benefit a small number of players tend to get slammed, especially since it is often obvious no search of the forums was done. This is what I see.

Long time players have an advantage over newer players because they've already seen the pluses and minuses of many of these suggestions.

Emberguard

Only to some extent and only in certain contexts. It defeats the purpose of presenting a challenge if you then remove the challenge. If every idea seeks to lower the bar then you remove the joy of the game if the bar becomes so low it removes the point of the game

Emberguard

The point of innovation is to solve a problem.

The point of a game is to entertain by presenting a problem that the player solves.

See the conflict? When a idea seeks to solve a problem by removing the problem you also remove the game with it. Some ideas are good because they allow you to get on with the game better. Some ideas are just there so the player doesn’t have to do it.

Agent327

That is one way to look at the results
I choose another angle - the level and knowledge of forum participants is very low, as such they are unable to appreciate changes that seems to threaten their comfort - as a result the forum is incredible conservative and the game is quite stale

So let's look at it from that angle. You joined July 18, 2017.

Your latest idea, proposed Oct 5, 2020

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/automatic-aid-automatic-tavern.38267/

Unformatted.

Is that caused by the forum, or the poster?

Plain Red Justice

Some ideas are good because they allow you to get on with the game better. Some ideas are just there so the player doesn’t have to do it.
Depending on context these two statements are synonymous with each other. Kind of like the FP bar input on GBs. It certainly made the game easier on a 1.9 and sniping perspectives so why was it implemented?

Emberguard

Depending on context these two statements are synonymous with each other. Kind of like the FP bar input on GBs. It certainly made the game easier on a 1.9 and sniping perspectives so why was it implemented?
Because it’s not removing a feature and once you get a GB hyper lvl’d the feasibility of being able to ever put in enough FPs if you’re manually clicking changes

Plain Red Justice

Because it’s not removing a feature and once you get a GB hyper lvl’d the feasibility of being able to ever put in enough FPs if you’re manually clicking changes
I don't get how that being not an act of removing a feature is connected to making the game easier. Reiterating what you've told me earlier:
When a idea seeks to solve a problem by removing the problem you also remove the game with it
The one feature I've mentioned clearly made the game easier, so why was it implemented then?

Emberguard

I already said why.

the feasibility of being able to ever put in enough FPs if you’re manually clicking changes
It’s not just easier but rather being able to still play once you reach higher numbers. Which is quite different in nature from some proposals that seek to remove a challenge that’s meant to be there

Plain Red Justice

I already said why.

It’s not just easier but rather being able to still play once you reach higher numbers
That's not an answer. You can still dump FPs in the end even inside a high level GB to accomplish whatever your goal is inside the GB. It doesn't stop the player from placing FPs whether that feature exists or not

Yet surprisingly, it was implemented even if there was no compelling reason to do so.

Emberguard

it is an answer. You don’t seem to want to accept anything I say, but it’s an answer. There does come a point where it’s cease to be reasonable to expect anyone to be able to keep lvling a GB through manual button presses (it also introduced bugs in the higher numbers with manual pressing)