• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best fighting units by age

FunnyWanderer

Has anyone looked at what are the best fighting units for a given age? I'm at IA now and previously I found a combination of fast units and ranged units seemed to work best for doing GE and simple fighting, but at this age I'm thinking that the heavy unit may actually be the best one since it now also can attack from distance. I have limited space in my town so I tend to have only a couple of military buildings along with some rogues, using GE to augment my army so try to find the best unit type for each age so I don't need all buildings.

Also, is it me or are the artillery units always weak? I always seem to get tons of these units and find them nearly useless.

DeletedUser

Just FYI, but most players use "IA" to refer to Iron Age, whereas I believe you're referring to Industrial Age, which most players refer to as "Indy".
And yes, the Howitzer in Industrial Age is a very good unit. Especially since it ignores stealth.

DeletedUser30900

I would like to ask the same question about ME and PME too.

FunnyWanderer

Thanks rpowpow! I was interested in how that changed as you progress in the ages, so what will they be for PE, ME, PME, etc. Has anyone done a guide like that?

Jern2017

I liked Jaegers and Howitzers. One Jaeger and one Howitzer plus six Rogues for auto battle and either one Howitzer or one Jaeger plus seven Rogues for manual battles.

Plunder Queen

One Jaeger and one Howitzer plus six Rogues for auto battle.

Does this still hold true or is there a better combo out there?

Last edited:

Xenosaur

My list, by age: (opinions will vary wildly and widely, of course), but these warriors added depth and different vectors of competency to my army (and maybe yours...)-- With or without rogues weighting designs. (1+7,2+6)

Colonial: Grenadiers (not because they're heavy,because of their ability to hit +2 spaces away)
Indy: Jaegers (as someone said, a powerful light unit with depth and range. All Jaeger army is very strong.
Progressive: Conscript (one of the best all-around warriors; I called it the go-to for deep GE fighting when I needed more power).
Modern: Nothing was memorable, didn't stay long.
PME: MG-Team (the first unit with contact skill, takes a bit of learning to use it effectively, was awesome with rogues)
CE: 3 choices, all for different reasons - no order: AAV (contact skill, but more power), choppers (impervious to artillery AND first out under user control), Strike Team (if used in an 8 unit swarm, becomes MOST effective). CE, for both choppers AND Strike Team utilization, really get stregthened via swam designs, strong attack boosting, and a strong AO.
Tomorrow: Not there yet, but used the warriors - yawn.
Future: The Jupiter of Mt. Olympus: Hover Tank.
AF: Not there yet, but have some (not all) warriors: nothing stands out for me
OF: Not there yet, but have some (not all) warriors: Sub-cruisers are stronger MG-Team, AAV units, they get a strong vote when I use them.

Last edited:

DucadiVizzini

A lot of discussion has brewed around which is the best unit in every Age. In Modern Age, hands down it's the Paratroopers. Reasons:
1) They always deploy first. Even if their drop zone is random, they move quickly and have great range, so they are into action first.
2) They hide in forests very well---and can get to the trees quickly without being intercepted because of their range of movement
3) They have a massive +40 over any kind of artillery.
4) Perhaps most amazingly of all, they are capable of successful sector assaults for the two following Eras----I took on (and won) sectors held by Post Modern and Contemporary units on the Campaign Map with a full roster of 8 Paras---repeatedly successful with a loss of one or two Paras. (against the AA vehicle, Assault helicopter, Strike Team and Missile Artillery, 2 shots---only the Assault Tank took 3 hits)
I've read there's apparently a lot of confusion on deploying the Paras---I don't know why, perhaps people are put off by the random drop zones. Naturally, I'm not talking about using AI---it probably makes a hash out of the paras--(AI can be incredibly bad. Between shoving Champions and other fast units into the waiting enemy units to be killed first, always shooting at rogues first--a fatal error, since they take on the characteristics of fighting units. If you are in command, you make sure that you hit every other unit, eliminating anything a rogue can copy, and then just dust off the leftover rogues.) I watch battles fought using AI just to see the blunders---it's educational.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfhoundtoo

Most debates regarding the best unit in an age revolve around auto battling as not many want to take the time to do the fighting or perhaps they don't want to do it manually as they don't find it fun. Anything that gives you 1st shot against the enemy is a very useful bonus.

Johnny B. Goode

4) Perhaps most amazingly of all, they are capable of successful sector assaults for the two following Eras----I took on (and won) sectors held by Post Modern and Contemporary units on the Campaign Map with a full roster of 8 Paras---repeatedly successful with a loss of one or two Paras. (against the AA vehicle, Assault helicopter, Strike Team and Missile Artillery, 2 shots---only the Assault Tank took 3 hits)
I would wager that this is entirely due to your att/def boosts and the fact that you're fighting against the AI, and not to the relative usefulness of the Paratrooper. If you're two-shotting CE units with them on the C-Map, then your boost is the difference, not the unit itself. Having been through Modern Era numerous times over the last 6 years, I can say without a doubt that I would rarely, if ever, use Paratroopers.
A lot of discussion has brewed around which is the best unit in every Age. In Modern Age, hands down it's the Paratroopers.
No, it's not. Reasons:
1) You can't auto battle with them, either by themselves or (worse yet) with 7 Rogues. That is reason enough not to use them except in very special circumstances. In other words, only in cases like the C-Map, where time is irrelevant, and when your att/def boost gives you a decisive advantage. When time is a factor, Paratroopers are the worst, just like almost any move-first unit, especially ones with random starting positions.