• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

INNO Laying Off 75 Staff In "Comprehensive Reorganization"

La Marchessa

Forge of Empires developer InnoGames has announced that it's laying off 75 members of staff.

The studio announced yesterday that it was "undertaking a comprehensive strategic organisational realignment," in order to remain competitive, reach more players and work more efficiently on its current portfolio.

gamesindustry.biz/innogames-lays-off-75-staff#:~:text=Forge%20of%20Empires%20developer%20InnoGames,efficiently%20on%20its%20current%20portfolio.

UBERhelp1

Guys, we don't know where in the company these employees worked. They could have been working on other games, or maybe were just accounting or management staff. Regardless, they lost their jobs. That's not a good thing, even if you're not a fan of the direction the game is going.

Wishing ill on them for maintaining, improving, and still innovating on what is, at the end of the day, an impressive suite of games, regardless of how they might be monetized, isn't the way you should be looking at this. If you want to criticize the decisions the company as a whole made? Go right ahead. But celebrating the departure of about a fifth of the company steps over a bit of a line, don't you think?

If anything, a laying off of staff will make it harder to address the issues that arise in the game, and reduce the ability of the remaining employees to create new content, good or bad.

Flavius Belisarius

Forge of Empires developer InnoGames has announced that it's laying off 75 members of staff.

The studio announced yesterday that it was "undertaking a comprehensive strategic organisational realignment," in order to remain competitive, reach more players and work more efficiently on its current portfolio.

gamesindustry.biz/innogames-lays-off-75-staff#:~:text=Forge%20of%20Empires%20developer%20InnoGames,efficiently%20on%20its%20current%20portfolio.
So I read the article. Sounds like they want to innovate and upgrade their games with new concepts.
I'll wait and see.

qaccy

Folks losing their jobs isn't a good thing for the people losing them (obviously), but from the company's perspective, as processes get streamlined/optimized, there's eventually more staff than necessary to do what needs to be done. What it kind of boils down to in the end is "Why pay two people to do the job of one?", for better or worse. Again, it sucks to be let go from a job for essentially no reason other than 'we don't need you anymore', but this sort of thing isn't all too uncommon.

Cheekywench777

I wonder if its the team that developed the underwhelming GE5

honey55

I started wondering if the game was going to end this year before i read about the lay off. For one, the event buildings are too good. Players are able to get way too many of some of them. I've felt like they were trying to get all the money they could from players before they ended the game. The event passes are too good for many not to lay down their 15 dollars. It cost real money now. For many to complete ge5 they will negotiate. Many will use diamonds. Its nearly impossible to get enough defense attack in jupiter age forcing those wishing to do it to negotiate, many using diamonds. The events are harder for many to complete without diamonds. I hope I'm wrong, but it certsinly wouldnt surprise me if the game ended. The one thing that makes me think they might not be closing is they still run ads, though perhaps new players spend enough to pay for the ads.

UBERhelp1

I started wondering if the game was going to end this year before i read about the lay off. For one, the event buildings are too good. Players are able to get way too many of some of them. I've felt like they were trying to get all the money they could from players before they ended the game. The event passes are too good for many not to lay down their 15 dollars. It cost real money now. For many to complete ge5 they will negotiate. Many will use diamonds. Its nearly impossible to get enough defense attack in jupiter age forcing those wishing to do it to negotiate, many using diamonds. The events are harder for many to complete without diamonds. I hope I'm wrong, but it certsinly wouldnt surprise me if the game ended. The one thing that makes me think they might not be closing is they still run ads, though perhaps new players spend enough to pay for the ads.
Ads aren't in the game to make players pay to remove them. Sure, that's a nice bonus, but what ads do is generate a lot of revenue from a lot of players that previously would never pay anything. Assuming $5 per 1000 ad views, and each player has at least 5 instances per day where ads are placed (this number is higher, actually), it would take only about 200 players/day to watch those ads to get $5. Sure, that's not that much, but add in hundreds thousands, if not millions, of players watching ads, and it gets to be a substantial amount over a period of time, from players that haven't spent a penny.