• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Interface Improvements Feedback

scottcaddy

Inno has added a few things that make playing more of a chore. The worst is the pop-ups on so many buildings that severely slow down collecting all your fp and stuff, and make it painfully jerk-y. Please get rid of the third column in the Friends Tavern. You used to go directly to the Tavern Room, but now you have this distraction in the way. The buffs it gives are trivial and no advantage since everyone is pestered alike.
I don't care for the new Daily Bomb, like one extra incident in your face. It doesn't take much time, though. Naturally, some like it, and I expect that most would feel a loss if you took it away.
I love all the new buildings.
I have problems with the usless pop-up windows that Inno has added to the newer buildings when collecting also. Why isn't there a opt-out for them, that way those players who want those pop-ups can have them, and the rest of us can get on with playing the game without needless clicking.

Hate the consolidated quests change, the rest is ok. It doesnt show the green indicator when the daily quest is ready for collection...also doesnt show yellow indicator when accomplishing a line item for daily quest. I assume the same issue will be present for event quests.
Yes! It is super annoying to have to go all the way back into the quest tab to see if the individual task or the quest has completed

Hate the Collapsible quest window, please change that part back. It takes more time to click through, and I can't see the daily quest at a glance. When it's near reset, or I switch worlds, I want to know if the daily quest is unlocked without clicking.
Buff bar is nice.
I really look forward to the daily reward. Don't have it yet and am hoping that will be available to all very soon.

Sharmon the Impaler

I have problems with the usless pop-up windows that Inno has added to the newer buildings when collecting also. Why isn't there a opt-out for them, that way those players who want those pop-ups can have them, and the rest of us can get on with playing the game without needless clicking.
A games value is evaluated by it's metrics NOT the game itself. One of the most important metrics is clicks per day per player (much like a website but for a game). Those annoying pop ups are there to jack the clicks per day through the roof and will not be going anywhere. Remember that an investment firm that specializes in game take overs owns 51% + of Inno now and needs to make FoE (It's flagship game) as shiny looking as possible to attract new money and to show at share holder meetings. Ditto for the collapsing menus on both sides of the game. You didn't think this was for us did you lol ?

Xenosaur

One of the biggest "fails" of this buff-bar is that it ONLY reports all the status changes (for example HC charge decrementing...) when you're at the top view of your city.

So when you're fighting in GE or GbG (for example) you have NO IDEA how many Kracken charges you've used up or have left - as you play directly in those venues.

That defeats literally all the help and impact of the engineering effort to track those type of changes, since you have to exit those venues, go back to your main city screen, see how much you've used, and re-enter the venue where you're using them.

Boo-hoo to that. I do better just counting down my HC charges (9, 8, 7...) as I fight (press auto-battle).

Finley the Fair

The Buff Bar "improvements" are not an improvement at all, especially on browser with a big monitor and lots of extra screen real estate. If this is really some sort of innovation, then make the behavior optional on whether or not it collapses at all. Also, as others have noted, make it sticky so it stays popped out if selected.

The real innovation here appears to be figuring out new ways to drive players from the game with unnecessary changes that don't improve the game experience.

Dillamond

Mobile player - and these are terrible interface changes. Appreciate the buff bar collapse but having the quests collapsed is a disaster and I have missed completing my daily twice already with no indicators of progress or completion. On the right side of the screen, the event icon now completely covers my space port and sticks way too far out into the playable area. Not sure if the intent from the UX team was intentional “dark design” to create more clicks (google “dark design” and “Amazon lawsuit” if you do not know the term) If not intentional, oh boy. As an interface design team lead for a major tech company, I would be fired for this garbage unless we could make more money with a worse interface. Happy to tell you how I really feel…

Xenosaur

As an interface design team lead for a major tech company, I would be fired for this garbage unless we could make more money with a worse interface.

@Dillamond - tell us how you really feel, huh? ;)<big grin> You about summed up how I think too. I actually related to the line above. The changes undo years of dealing with someone else's vision of how things should be laid out on a mobile screen, and we've adapted.
Modern tools, methods and visions should come into play here (after all FoE is 11 yrs old, and the mobile interface was built in 2014, I believe), but it feels less ergonomic and MORE tedious than even what we just came from. That's the wrong direction for almost all of it.
Inno doesn't design from focus groups, or listen to design ideas and innovations from the players. They say they do, but even simple things do not make it through the gauntlet. There are a lot of software engineering types here, too and many suggestions are beyond credible - and what's always displayed is NIH - Not Invented Here.

No one asked for any of these buff changes - they just do it. Spend months on it - and throw it over the wall at us.

Yet the hundreds of things we advise them on to make the game better for BOTH them and us? Nothing done.

It's so hard to have them focus on what we do each day in THEIR GAME and how we do it. It's hard to consider it cooperative, vs seemingly competitive.
That's not how I learned to write good productive software, or manage business relationships.

Last edited:

Portia the Benevolent

Mobile player - and these are terrible interface changes. Appreciate the buff bar collapse but having the quests collapsed is a disaster and I have missed completing my daily twice already with no indicators of progress or completion. On the right side of the screen, the event icon now completely covers my space port and sticks way too far out into the playable area. Not sure if the intent from the UX team was intentional “dark design” to create more clicks (google “dark design” and “Amazon lawsuit” if you do not know the term) If not intentional, oh boy. As an interface design team lead for a major tech company, I would be fired for this garbage unless we could make more money with a worse interface. Happy to tell you how I really feel…
I’m not an interface designer, let alone a lead, but even I can see this is one of the worst possible fails. Does anyone over there even play the game? I’m not sure who Inno is hiring coming up with this baloney, but I’m available, and I promise I will do better with one eye closed — on the cheap, too!

Pericles the Lion

A games value is evaluated by it's metrics NOT the game itself. One of the most important metrics is clicks per day per player (much like a website but for a game). Those annoying pop ups are there to jack the clicks per day through the roof and will not be going anywhere. Remember that an investment firm that specializes in game take overs owns 51% + of Inno now and needs to make FoE (It's flagship game) as shiny looking as possible to attract new money and to show at share holder meetings. Ditto for the collapsing menus on both sides of the game. You didn't think this was for us did you lol ?
This is just another example of confirmation bias. MTG has owned a majority share of InnoGames for many years. After acquiring this majority ownership, they implemented the "Aid All" feature which potentially reduced the number of player clicks substantially. Additionally, they implemented the 2K abort limit which also had the potential to reduce clicks. Were player clicks less important, or not important two years ago? I think that you underestimate the FOE development team. Anyone with a lick of common sense knows that the best way to increase the number of player clicks (presuming that it is a critical KPI) is by adding content that players value, not features that are annoying. Examples are GE L5, increased incident spawn rates, increased frequency of events, the daily bonus, to name a few. Personally, I find the reward pop-ups very annoying and feel that continued player pushback is the best approach to having their use curtailed. However, I don't think that their presence is a ham-fisted attempt to inflate player clicks.

Orius Maximus

I'm okay with the buff bar on mobile, it's better than not having it at all.

But the quest interface changes? Totally unnecessary, and it only makes things worse. It was NOT an improvement in any way, shape, or form.

UBERhelp1

That's not what they care about at all - they're targeting two stats: daily active users (DAU), and average revenue per daily active user (ARPDAU). It's their goal to get as many active users into the game daily as they can, and also to make as much money off of those players. Assuming you're going to come back and say, well those extra clicks means more active users - that would tank their ARPDAU lol

The popup window's goal was to make it easier to tell what you received from a collection - which it does do, albeit it's really only useful when you use collect all.

Han Solo 314

The daily login rewards are a great addition. However, I find it a lot harder to keep track of daily quests when they’re in a collapsible menu. Pleas bring back the separate buttons for quest lines.

Sharmon the Impaler

That's not what they care about at all - they're targeting two stats: daily active users (DAU), and average revenue per daily active user (ARPDAU). It's their goal to get as many active users into the game daily as they can, and also to make as much money off of those players. Assuming you're going to come back and say, well those extra clicks means more active users - that would tank their ARPDAU lol

The popup window's goal was to make it easier to tell what you received from a collection - which it does do, albeit it's really only useful when you use collect all.
The collapsing menus don’t drive either of those metrics and only increase the click counts per user per day. I come from a PKI developer background and extrapolated the click count data reason which is important for identifying attacks on the envelope in my field. What metric are they going after with either the collapsing quests and the buff bar ? I say and and not or because of the way they were introduced simultaneously so they appear to be a heads or tails on the same coin scenario. Your response is credible but doesn’t account for the latest changes. They were pushed as improvements but the lack of user input in the decision or development process clearly indicate that user experience was not a concern during either process. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated as the company obviously will be keeping these monstrosities unless the revenue generating user attrition rates cross some threshold that only they know.

Sharmon the Impaler

The only possible reason that I can see is a very crude attempt at bot recognition as bots don’t click but real people do. A bot script already knows what is behind the curtain without looking.