• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Advice for Beginners and "Victims"

DeletedUser

1. Print, or at least read, the guides by Dominotx711 and Bugs Huntsman. These are EXTREMELY helpful.
2. Organize your city! Space is a premium! You can move buildings, so in the beginning plan how you will build your city and move the buildings to fit your plan. Trails are wasted space, use the minimum to connect your buildings. Most important buildings are 2x2 or 3x3, so try to run your trails to have stuff back to back. A five hex row will accommodate 2x2 and 3x3 and will allow you to accommodate most buildings easily, even the 5x4. A set of 2x2 and 2x2 will accommodate a 4x5.
3. Keep your people happy. If your people are enthusiastic, they will produce at 120%. This means you can get the same production from 5 buildings that normally require 6. FLOWERS are the most versatile. You get 20 happiness points from 1 square. It is easy to stick them at the end of a trail as a filler while you wait to expand. If you have to move buildings around they can be stuck anywhere. Second choice is an obelisk or tree at 18. The memorial locks in a 2x2 square for only 2 more points over 4 flowers. Click on the Smiley Face to see if it is possible. If you are buying diamonds, consider buying a theater (540), a whopping 60 points per square!
4. DEFEND yourself. Even if you don’t plan on visiting the PVP tower, investing in infantry will prevent a lot of plundering. Fill the 8 Defensive Army slots with anything will probably cause some casualties to the person who is raiding you. I would recommend 2 installations and buy the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] slot. Even if it doesn’t stop him, he will most likely think twice where the cost of replacing casualties was worth it. Update your infantry as you go through the ages as I am only experienced in the Bronze Age.
5. Try to balance gold and production. It doesn’t help if you have 10,000+ gold, if you don’t have supplies to do anything with it. (This I did learn the hard way.)
6. Plan your production times. If you are only able to play at the same time every day, use the 1 day option for production and goods. Make collection the first thing you do when you logon. This will help control the plundering and reduce spoilage. You trade some of the production rate for a better chance of collecting. Avoid the 2 day production as this usually only produces 150% of what you get with 1 day.
7. If you want to help someone, polish the highest value happiness producer they have. An extra 240 (school) or 280 (tavern) could move their population to enthusiastic.
8. I think buying Forge Points at the beginning of the age is good. This does not seem to be the biggest consensus!

It is your choice to take the advice or not. As for my credentials, this is my first online game. I started Wednesday afternoon and by noon on Sunday my global ranking was in 305; I took first place in the Bronze PVP Tower with over 21,000 victory points and over 130 successful raids; I suffered only 3 successful raids and most of my army was out fighting when it happened; I successfully conquered the first sector in Badakus (Iron Age region) with spearmen; I had moved into the Iron Age; all this without purchasing a single diamond. (I may have a more info at a later date.)
Now my first day in Iron Age was not a fortunate. #191 Alizee, #221 Dagerlay, #133 Chmoffat, and #920 Florr were able to plunder before I could begin upgrading my army. Kudos to the 4 of you, but I do hope the AI made you bleed at least a little. Mac

DeletedUser

PS: Casualties suffered while defending are replaced without cost.

DeletedUser

so I cannot figure out how to move buildings around..am I missing something here?!

DeletedUser

Click on the Build tab, then on the top of the screen in the middle you'll see a crosshair button between the Sell and Cancel buttons. Click on that, and then click on the building you want to move, and voila.

DeletedUser

I would highly suggest NOT defending yourself if you have any plans to compete in the PVP tournaments. With the proper troop setups an attacking army vs the computer AI is quite laughable and all you are doing is donating points to your competition. On that note I would like to thank my neighbors and fellow competitors for getting me over 40k in the last bronze age PVP tournament with about 1/3 the battles of anyone within 20k of me.

DeletedUser

I apologise for being slow on this one. I've cleaned a lot of off topic posts out of this thread, please try to avoid cluttering this part of the forum with off topic spam.

For future reference, his name is HaekelHansi, yes it's invisible, his title is Bugs Huntsman but I'm sure he'll respond to that too.

DeletedUser

I would highly suggest NOT defending yourself if you have any plans to compete in the PVP tournaments. With the proper troop setups an attacking army vs the computer AI is quite laughable and all you are doing is donating points to your competition.

This definitely appears to be true if the attacker has Archers. The Archer appears to be a "overpowering" unit since there is no adjustment for armor. It is still valid in Bronze age where the attacker could take damage costing more than he "plundered". Players who play Archers and Throwers result in the AI playing "The Charge of the Light Brigade" everytime "no brainer". Mac

DeletedUser

I just started playing last night about 10pm west coast time. The first thing I did was to click on everything to see what stuff did, and figured out I can click on people's pic and visit their cities. I got the support buttons and tried them out. I found that I get 20 coins just for clicking on someones building. I wanted to see how other people were setting stuff up and get the 20 coins each so I visited everyone in my neighborhood. Currently I am ranked #1 in my neighborhood and in my pvp tower. I have 12055 points for 23 fights. I have done no pvp yet, because I polished everyone last night for the coins to get rolling. I haven't even defended yet because nobody has attacked. I have unlocked my Iron Age pvp tower and am working on the next section, but it is proving to be quite the challenge with just spearmen. In other words if you do a lot of pve you get points for your pvp tower, but not as many for your neighborhood points. It seems to me that the more advanced buildings you get the higher your neighborhood points are but the more kills you get (pve or pvp) the higher your pvp tower points get. Am I way off? Still trying to figure the game out and how to best spend resources and troops. Thanks for the tips provided, I will keep them in mind as I go along. ~Z~

DeletedUser

Yes, you are beginning to get it. Did you check out the guides in the "guides & questions" forum? If you didn't you want to go there soon. If you unlocked Iron Age already, you are above the power curve. Careful to plan your moves or you'll regret it later. Good Luck! Mac

DeletedUser

Fights, whether they are PvE or PvP, count towards the towers. Generally, PvE fights give more battle points on average than neighborhood fights, since PvE fights have 7 or 8 units most of the time.

Buildings do give points, with more advanced buildings giving more points. But points from fighting are much, much, MUCH greater than those from buildings.

I think you are confused as to which points are which. The tower points are called battle points. They come from fighting battles in any scenario, and count towards the towers, which are essentially weekly tournaments. At the end of each week, the tower points get reset and people are awarded medals. When you earn battle points, some of it goes towards your city/player points. To find out how much, divide the battle points by 50 and that is how many city/player points you earn for the fight. City/player points is what determines your neighborhood and global ranking. City/player points are accumulated through building things, fighting, and collecting coins and supplies.

Because tournaments are reset weekly, you have to earn more battle points each week. However, city/player points that come from battling are never taken away. So if you wish to be a pointwhore like me, battle as much as you can to get up the rankings quickly.

DeletedUser

I have 85 points left in Bronze Age before I even get my tech tree up to Iron Age. That 3.5 days worth of forge points. You think I should stop attacking? and focus on my town and tech till I get it caught up?

DeletedUser34

it is your call. attacking goes towards your bronze tower which in turn gives you medals that go towards expansions.....There are many different ways to play this game.

DeletedUser

I would highly suggest NOT defending yourself if you have any plans to compete in the PVP tournaments. With the proper troop setups an attacking army vs the computer AI is quite laughable and all you are doing is donating points to your competition. On that note I would like to thank my neighbors and fellow competitors for getting me over 40k in the last bronze age PVP tournament with about 1/3 the battles of anyone within 20k of me.

You keep telling everyone that. I've over 39,000 coins and almost 10,000 supplies in the bank waiting for Forge Points so I can progress. Not to mention the warehouses are filling up with goods. And by the way, I have over 21,000 Victory Points toward this week's Bronze Tower (It's Tuesday). I must say my spearmen and slingers are getting a little weary. Sitting here waiting. Mac

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Click on the Build tab, then on the top of the screen in the middle you'll see a crosshair button between the Sell and Cancel buttons. Click on that, and then click on the building you want to move, and voila.
THAT would have nice to know earlier. I read a lot but totally missed that concept. I hate to think how many buildings I've razed and rebuilt somewhere else even though I had plenty of space to move buildings out of the way and reorder things!!

DeletedUser

THAT would have nice to know earlier. I read a lot but totally missed that concept. I hate to think how many buildings I've razed and rebuilt somewhere else even though I had plenty of space to move buildings out of the way and reorder things!!
I figured this and many other things out on my own without ever having been to the forums on the first day.

I have a minor proposal, although this takes some of the challenge and reality out of the game so Im not sure how yall will feel about it... here goes.. a building inventory that will hold multiple buildings on a side menu at a time that way you can pick up things like your town square, multiple houses and other items like blocks of road and such. The reason for this you may ask? so that if a player has no extra space in their city to help rearrange they can still move things around. Plus this would make it easier on players near the end of the game to reorganize if the original "down town" part of their city isn't quite as neat and squared away as the rest of their city.

DeletedUser34

I figured this and many other things out on my own without ever having been to the forums on the first day.

I have a minor proposal, although this takes some of the challenge and reality out of the game so Im not sure how yall will feel about it... here goes.. a building inventory that will hold multiple buildings on a side menu at a time that way you can pick up things like your town square, multiple houses and other items like blocks of road and such. The reason for this you may ask? so that if a player has no extra space in their city to help rearrange they can still move things around. Plus this would make it easier on players near the end of the game to reorganize if the original "down town" part of their city isn't quite as neat and squared away as the rest of their city.

It will never happen for the very reasons you stated. If you are out of room, it becomes a strategic choice as to what you destroy. The lay out of your city is as much a strategic part of the game as any other, so if you screw up, they don't want to hand you a fix all garage. No, you have to use deduction and fix it the hard way. Personally, since I enjoy the strategy part over the PVP part, I like this challenge.

DeletedUser

It will never happen for the very reasons you stated. If you are out of room, it becomes a strategic choice as to what you destroy.
I figured as much... which is a crying shame for me because Im quite the messy unorganized builder... My "oldtown" section looks something like a real, old fashioned city.. instead of the square grid of roads most ppl use.... Oh well guess ill have fun playing demo god... lmbo

DeletedUser

For players who are having "organization" problems in their city. Before you demolish, look at the research tree. There are a couple of places where you can pick up 2 expansions back to back fairly quickly. If you need a major reorganization and are close to these points, it may help to wait.