• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

In game gender theory

DeletedUser29563

Before I throw this out there. Please know that this is solely intended for lighthearted, intelligent discussion. Its not meant to come off as sexist, exclusive, or pariaous. I just find it interesting.
I have a player on my friends list..whom has been with me from the start. This player has a female specific player name...and has always used a female avatar. Said player recently changed avatar to a male avatar. So I jokingly asked "her" if she was"one of the guys now"? Now I have talked to this player regularly for months now..but the subject of gender never came up..I just always assumed female. Said player informed me that he wasn't a female...and said he uses a female name and avatar because " female players don't get attacked as often". I was blown away!
Anyone else ever done this?
Also...I have always been reluctant to attack & plunder female players..its just ingrained in me as a man. Anyone else feel this way?
I'm not asking for psychosocial evaluations. Just opinions. Is this strategy ethical?
Again not a sexist rant. I am gender equality supportive..in every possible way. But that said..I do not attack female players..except in gvg. It's just something in my DNA that makes it feel wrong. Thoughts?

DeletedUser23772

Yea, it sometimes get confusing as the only thing you have to go by is there profile picture. I didn't think it effects the game much though....but on that note iv'e have noticed 2/3 of all people who attack me are other males avatars (though some of the most aggressive people on my server have female avatars) . And that females avatars are more likely to ask me to stop attacking them....maybe it's just me though....I have also noticed that raiding in this game is a bit more personal than in others. In games that you HAVE to raid other people, no one gives a **** if you raid them, but when you don't have to raid people to progress in the game-people take it way more personally.

Yea, i think that maybe perfectly plausible mathew.

I plunder everyone who is not my friend in the neighborhood personally unless they ask nicely for me to stop, it's only fair.

DeletedUser

I honestly pay no attention to whether a player is male of female when I attack them. Makes no difference to me. Now, if I'm chatting with them, I notice and it does affect how I talk to them, but that's a more personal thing in my mind. Attacking/plundering to me is along the same lines as collecting from a building or clearing an encounter in GE. Just a part of the game you do, nothing personal about it. Usually. There have been a couple of exceptions in the 2 years I've been playing.

Darth Mole

I've had a female avatar on occasions in the past but after a day or 2 it just feels weird and I have to change back to a male one. I plunder in 2 of 4 cities and often chose an avatar to try to portray a specific image - I never get rant mail when I'm plundering as Ghandi.
I like to have attractive avatars in my friends list - both male and female - if I have to boot one person I'll chose the one with the worst avatar!

I'm very shallow.

DeletedUser29563

I've had a female avatar on occasions in the past but after a day or 2 it just feels weird and I have to change back to a male one. I plunder in 2 of 4 cities and often chose an avatar to try to portray a specific image - I never get rant mail when I'm plundering as Ghandi.
I like to have attractive avatars in my friends list - both male and female - if I have to boot one person I'll chose the one with the worst avatar!

I'm very shallow.
Makes sense to me....

DeletedUser29563

I honestly pay no attention to whether a player is male of female when I attack them. Makes no difference to me. Now, if I'm chatting with them, I notice and it does affect how I talk to them, but that's a more personal thing in my mind. Attacking/plundering to me is along the same lines as collecting from a building or clearing an encounter in GE. Just a part of the game you do, nothing personal about it. Usually. There have been a couple of exceptions in the 2 years I've been playing.
And you are absolutely right. It shouldn't make a difference to me either...but for some it does. At least a little bit.

DeletedUser13838

My avatar is Frosty for as long as I can remember and I never received any mail from my plunderees ever.

ITown

I use both male and female avatars. I prefer female ones because I'd rather stare at a female.

I can't be certain, but it seems like some people are more generous with me because of my avatar gender. I've never proclaimed myself a female (and correct people if they ask) but I notice a small difference nonetheless.