• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is an arc useful if you don't hyper level it?

• Thread starter DeletedUser35976
  • Start date

DeletedUser36624

My daily FP income directly from buildings in my city plus hourly bar is 52. I built my Arc on Dec 23rd, so about 6 weeks ago. It's level 8 now, soon to be level 9. I have also been leveling my other GBs, mostly my attack GBs. The majority of my FP income is from contributions, and the Arc has accelerated that. I reject the notion that you have to turn your city into a SoK farm and get hundreds of FP daily from collections in order to be successful in the game.

DeletedUser29726

Agree with you for the most part. The advice to only get a GB if it's primary benefit is for something you're doing is true for every GB. If a player feels aiding all her friends, neighbors & guildies every day is too boring, she shouldn't get a Seed Vault. If a player doesn't plunder, then kraken is useless. If a player doesn't have any Event main buildings/prizes or TFs, then he really won't get much bang for his buck having Blue Galaxy. If a player only infrequently donates to GBs, then that's not a good time to get an Arc. It does seem a number of players are seeking out the Arc far too early, while having an obviously disjointed, struggling city in most ways (believing the hype about those high Arcs without understanding the game fundamentals at all).

Well for the most part I'd say almost noone should get a seed vault regardless of how much they aid - it never recovers FP, scales poorly, and takes forever to recover the goods it takes to build it - about the only reason to build it is small amounts of diamonds. And Blue Galaxy is also borderline even with the ideal buildings to proc it on. Maybe some settlements down the road with ygg-tree grade rewards I'll change my mind. Mostly my posts have been to try and downgrade the unqualified yes that most people state about Arc to "only if you're really going to use it".

Yet, you're tending to lump players into only 1 of two categories when discussing the Arc. You've already defined everything other than hyperleveling as "just playing". Are you sure you're not now defining everything other than 'a multitude of daily very large fp donations to hyperleveled GBs' as "casual swaps on sub-10 buildings"? Sort of feels that way to me.

No, you made that definition. I just gave an alternate category to hyperlevelling that I called "just playing" which excluded hyper-levelling. I did not state that it was an absolute dichotomy. My quote: That said, if your goal is to *just play* I would not recommend building Arc particularly early. Not because it's not usable at any particular level - but because using it involves a playstyle that I don't really consider "just playing". So... "Just playing" excludes hyperlevelling or neighborhood sniping (which I think it's fair to say most of the game's population does neither to any large extent). But that doesn't mean there isn't other try-hard strategies that I also wouldn't consider just playing (and may or may not benefit from an arc) ;)

That highlighted part above is where I somewhat disagree. The Return on Investment should make sense, but isn't limited to just replacing the fps spent. And getting that back "fast enough" is subjective.

It mostly is though. Gaining medals for donation is primarily a function of what you can donate to, not whether you have an arc. 30% more medals is hardly a wonderful perk worth thousands of FP. And gaining extra blueprints mostly only matters when you're planning to take buildings past 10. Getting 1 set of blueprints is very straightforward for any building (with the exception of ones people don't want to build or level much and aren't as available to donate to).

Here's an example from my play. I got CF & DT within 2 months of playing. With an extremely low fp/day income of 26-28, neither would on the surface appear to be wise. Yet no one's dailyfp income accurately refects what can be easily obtained.

I think it was ember that set you off on the daily FP income thing... Because my only statement on FP income was that 100 was plenty to use an arc and even to hyperlevel it since it seemed to be stated earlier that it wasn't. I'd agree DT was not wise - unless you're camping a very low age for a very long time (I have one in my perma-iron age world, and none in any other world whatever the age). You can get the goods directly that you want it to make for much cheaper than a set for DT. CF is fine depending on your playstyle (it's similar to arc in that regard - though a bit closer to everyone should have one because even if you don't do the quest loops there's plenty of big rewards from the story it boosts).

Most prize chests for the Daily quests invariably have fps as the most likely outcome. With a good friends list of 75 players full of red tablecloths in taverns, I win a range of 5-9fp every day from visiting. GE at all levels gives fp prizes often. The Events often give alot of fps (& we have alot of events). If you make a few wise GB donations a week to friends/hoodies, the fp packs will add up (Oracles in BA/IA/EMA are quite profitable). Fp packs from utlizing RQs daily is of immense benefit. Perhaps that still wouldn't add up to getting my fps back quick enough by the definition of some folks. But what else did I get for ROI & how quickly? Within a week, I raised CF to level 4. That was plenty to immediately get rid of all my goods buildings opening up huge area for other things. And I could immediately negotiate through all of GE4 - all the diamonds, troops, buildings, etc. With the DT only at level 3-4 during that time, I could rapidly accumulate (via higher level goods received & trading down those goods as needed) enough goods to get SMB & RAH within ~2 weeks or so - much quicker than I could've done otherwise, especially since I wasn't in a guild. (Those GBs were important component for my plan for playstyle). Additionally, I got a head start of getting goods needed for the next Age's tech tree & GE. My "casual play" worked just fine, in my opinion.
That way of thinking also applies to the Arc. Can a person accomplish some of their game goals much quicker with "casual play" of the Arc? If so, I don't care if it takes several months (or more) to recoup the fps spent.

I think it's safe to say from all this that you're not into casual play at all. Which isn't a bad thing - mostly I'm not either (though I have more fun when I am). Can you have good returns off arc putting that kind of effort? Sure. Do most of the player base put in that much effort? Hell no. Less than 25% of active players finished a level 10 colossus, a gift-wrapped super-building with a questline you could sleep through and complete.

DeletedUser30900

people here get offended by being called 'just playing'? lol, the majority of the posters here are the living examples of 'just playing'

I disagree about the Seed Vault. I am in VF and make almost 260 VF goods a day and get diamonds twice a week. In the last week, I've sold over 10 sets of HC kits which has translated into over 8K FP to me and thousands of goods that I use to sell for more FP or to donate to my guild. The numerous goods I accumulated in AF and OF, I've used to sell Kraken, AO, and BG kits for FP and goods.

It scales phenomenally well. Initially it goes up about 0.1% a level. It drops off slightly, but it eventually increases as much as 0.18% a level and does this above level 90. Only at level 99 does it "fall off" to 0.16% increase per level.

I've been more than happy with my Seed Vault.

cton2.forge

stepping back... A philosophical question for you - what would you do for a Klondike bar? So what is it 'worth'? different strokes for different folks... I live in Southern Florida so murder isn't off the menu for me while the Inuit living in the Northwest Territories wouldn't give 2 of those Canadian pennies (who the heck knows how much THOSE are worth...)

So there are the facts laid out (i.e. how many FPs etc) and then there's the intrinsic value which only you can answer. Is it worth it to you? That's what you need to figure out. Although I like what you did. If you just wanted to watch the FoE Forum regulars squabble like dogs at the table for scraps.

What would you do for a Klondike Bar? Anything between 2 Canadian pennies and murder is an acceptable response...

Mustapha00

I have Arcs on four of five worlds, levels ranging from 16 to 51.

I only wish I'd taken the plunge (done what was necessary to acquire the goods required) MUCH earlier than I had because, with only the exception of the level 16 Arc (more on that in a moment), the rewards have exceeded expectations. I'd imagine that, by the time they reach 80, I'll have whatever BPs I could need for any other GBs as well as more than enough FPs to level them. Even now, I can tell quite the difference.

Now...there is a trade-off, or at least there is for me. I've decided to devote the overwhelming majority of my daily FP production to levelling my Arcs (using my Guild FP swap threads for the most part). Since I made the decision to do that. I find that my progress through the Tech Tree and therefore the Ages has all but ended. That's a trade I'm willing to make, though I wish I'd selected an Age were either Goods could be used to earn FPs via trading (such as Future Goods for Arcs), or ones in which the military units were demonstrably better than the ones of the previous Age so that GE is easier.

Now...about that little level 16 Arc.....

One thing I noticed is that Arcs below level 20 tend not to attract the notice of players who contribute to lower level Arcs partly because of their high rewards. While my highest two Arcs are gaining two levels a week (and a sincere Thank You to those who contribute!), my poor 16 Arc levels maybe once every two to three weeks, and I understand that is largely because the rewards are low. This is probably what you'll run into with a level 10 Arc.

None of this is to say that a level 10 Arc isn't useful, but the usefulness will be limited by the level.

Freshmeboy

I would reply that all GBs have an inherent usefulness according to your gameplay and that the higher the level, hopefully the more it helps escalate that gameplay. That said, my game style has changed over the years and the Arc, while a useful tool for maintaining inventory and creating new inventory out of my city produced fps, is no longer used as a daily medal farting machine and a snipers' wet dream...it is no longer the center of my game playing universe. So what do you want from YOUR Arc..? Better value from your swaps..? Better returns on massive snipes that require daily hunts....? Inventory production from city fps on a small casual scale..? A large scale....? These are the determining factors, and a casual approach to the Arc is no more 'wrong' than leveling any other GB. In fact, I would say a casual approach is less stress and more fun but that comes from the experience of the actual grind that is Arc80...

Buildbig

Something that has been completely overlooked is the medal earning power of the ARC. My last expansion cost me 300K medals and took around 4 weeks of casual play to accumulate after the cleanout from the previous expansion. I often donate the full ARC enhanced FP rewards to the building I am sniping or friend I help just for the medal return. Once one has accumulated an FP inventory of 5K or higher you can become more of a mentor within guild or hood.

Freshmeboy

I don't think its been overlooked at all...one of the beauties of the Arc, unlike many other other GBs, is its exponential power in building a guild..Just one Arc can help an entire guild become more powerful and compete...although some would say it warps rather than builds...

DeletedUser36624

Had a friend suicide (city obliterated except for roads and watchfires) just after reaching Arc level 80. Don't know the story behind that one, but be careful out there. Getting your Arc to 80 and realizing it won't make you irresistibly attractive, does nothing for your bank account, and won't even walk your dog can be an enormous disappointment.

DeletedUser38090

Don't be discouraged. I raised mine with 80fp/day. You might need a suicide-watch while leveling it but it's worth it in the end.
Right now my FP income is at 28 at collection. Let's see how this Arc leveling is going to go... I snipe a ton so it somewhat compensates.

Getting your Arc to 80 and realizing it won't make you irresistibly attractive, does nothing for your bank account, and won't even walk your dog can be an enormous disappointment.
But will my level 80 Arc make chocolate chip waffles for me? That's the only thing that matters right now.

DeletedUser27889

I play 2 live worlds and 1 on beta. All 3 have arc, only one is 80+ the others in the teens. While I would eventually like to level the other two they are useful as is. Super leveling them just makes them more useful. From a guild perspective alone the amount of goods they pump out to the treasury is great. If your guild does not do GvG you are better off putting down an Arc than an Obs. Arc lets you help the guild and yourself.

For the personal benefit even if you're just using swap threads you're still getting 31% more back with a level 10 Arc than without. That's not just more FP but quicker medal expansions and more BPs as well. Sure you can hunt around for profit locking buildings but even a casual player changing nothing about what they did pre or post Arc will still benefit from the building.