• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Are side quests era-specific?

DeletedUser31437

I am still in Iron Age, yet got a side quest "build Tannery". I looked at the research page, saw how far I am from a Tannery, and deleted the quest. Next one also demanded to build something Early Middle Ages. I deleted it too. The one I have now is "build a cultural and a goods EMA buildings". Should I just accept that I won't get any easier side quests, and let this one sit until I have a cultural and a goods EMA buildings?

DeletedUser

I am still in Iron Age, yet got a side quest "build Tannery". I looked at the research page, saw how far I am from a Tannery, and deleted the quest. Next one also demanded to build something Early Middle Ages. I deleted it too. The one I have now is "build a cultural and a goods EMA buildings". Should I just accept that I won't get any easier side quests, and let this one sit until I have a cultural and a goods EMA buildings?
Unless you are really close to the tech to build or research something from a side quest, it is better to just abort it. You should also look at the reward, sometimes it costs more to build something than the quest reward is.

The other factor is that you have to fulfill/abort all the current side quests in order to get to the recurring quests which you can do repeatedly to further your game, either as a separate strategy, or just as you go about your normal gaming.

DeletedUser31437

In other words, if fulfilling a side quest within a day or two is not plausible, I should abort it?

DeletedUser26532

There is a difference between "story quests" and "side quests" also know as "recurring quests".

What you have been seeing and aborting are "story quests". These proceed through the ages sequentially, requiring you to build something, then something from later in the tech tree, then capture a province from the map, and a later province, then scout... et. They're designed to help guide you through doing things in the game.

Once you hit (I believe) HMA you get side quests, which is a set of recurring quests that cycle.

As you advance in the tech tree, more story quests will unlock and you can complete them. once you have reached a certain point, youll instead get the recurring quests and can cycle them essentially endlessly while you are parked in an era.

I do not believe that you will get recurring quests in Iron Age as they were only added by Inno a few ages later in development.

I would not suggest continuing to abort them because the story quests are more often than not things that you're going to do anyway in the future, and getting a free reward is always a good thing. Just sit on it for now until you get there.

(anyone know exactly what age it is that first has recurring quests?)

DeletedUser

There is a difference between "story quests" and "side quests" also know as "recurring quests".

What you have been seeing and aborting are "story quests".
This is absolutely wrong. There are 4 kinds of quests.
Story quests are NOT abortable. You have to fulfill one before the next one will appear.
Bonus quests sometimes appear. They are sometimes abortable, sometimes not. You do not have to do them, but the non-abortable ones will not disappear until you fulfill them. They are usually triggered by some game action, such as conquering a province, or unlocking a tech. Usually, there will be a short quest line of Bonus Quests.
Side quests are also sometimes abortable. They are also triggered by game actions, but are stand-alone quests.
Recurring quests are different, in that they do not permanently disappear like the others once they are aborted or fulfilled. They will cycle through again. There is an era-appropriate set of recurring quests for each age you go through in the game. You can always abort recurring quests. They are stand-alone quests, and will sometimes not appear if you have outstanding Bonus/Side quests taking their quest slot. Once you clear the Bonus/Side quests, however, the recurring quests will reappear.

DeletedUser28670

Only solution is that you have been going into the EMA sectors in C-Map which (I think) triggers the side quests of the era in question. That's only a guess though.