• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Battlegrounds Sucks

WinnerGR

At the risk of belaboring what should be obvious ... I already have a good computer. (And I'm not using Chrome.) Now we just need some tight code from InnoGames. But now I'm repeating myself....
If you have a good computer and you are not using crome ( I am presuming that your using Opera or Firfox [ If not theb use one of them and ingore me conclusion] ) then I think it is right that this is tight code.

Agent327

At the risk of belaboring what should be obvious ... I already have a good computer. (And I'm not using Chrome.) Now we just need some tight code from InnoGames. But now I'm repeating myself....

We are going in circles here, so we might as well stop. Even with that good computer you are having problems where many others do not seem to have those.

My advice, take it up with Support and see if they can help you. Your complaints on this forum so far have not resulted in anything, so why not try that?

lemur

FoE stopped working as well on Crome and they ( INNO ) now suggest using which are Opera and Firefox Quantum.
InnoGames has been foisting this nonsense for years. It's a bait-and-switch of sorts. When they advertise their game, there is no mention at all about how it works properly with only certain browsers. Once you start playing the game and have problems with it, then are you told that it's your fault for having the "wrong browser." Ludicrous ...

Plain Red Justice

I just click on it multiple times to enter when it says Battlegrounds not reachable. I don't mind spaghetti codes as long as they deliver

Iroh the Tea Maker

Clear your cache. Seriously, clear your browser cache and try again. I repeat, clear your cache (and please dont be mad at me, but clear your browser cache and try again, it works).

Taixun

I have issues when playing on my laptop (Win10, 2yo ASUS ROG GL752VW, Chrome), but mostly just lag. Things open, just slowly. Well, all except for the event tourney... results from the tourney never load. I use mobile 99% of the time anyway, so not a big deal, not worth me reporting to support or complaining about it. It does make me wonder what's up with their code though... other (actually graphically/computationally intensive games) load/play fine, so it's not a system issue.

As for coding for efficient use of memory, no one cares about that these days because they don't need to care (outside of embedded systems devs and a few other special use cases). We've progressed past having only Kb of memory... memory is not a limit anymore, so no need to write memory efficient code. If an app requires more memory due to inefficiency, simply bump up the minimum requirements.

DevaCat

I have issues when playing on my laptop (Win10, 2yo ASUS ROG GL752VW, Chrome), but mostly just lag. Things open, just slowly. Well, all except for the event tourney... results from the tourney never load. I use mobile 99% of the time anyway, so not a big deal, not worth me reporting to support or complaining about it. It does make me wonder what's up with their code though... other (actually graphically/computationally intensive games) load/play fine, so it's not a system issue.

As for coding for efficient use of memory, no one cares about that these days because they don't need to care (outside of embedded systems devs and a few other special use cases). We've progressed past having only Kb of memory... memory is not a limit anymore, so no need to write memory efficient code. If an app requires more memory due to inefficiency, simply bump up the minimum requirements.
No problem with your first paragraph. But really, "memory is not a limit anymore" "no need to write memory efficient code"? Each device is indeed limited as to its memory, and the other notion is absurd. Ever heard of a memory sink? That's a product of sloppy, inefficient coding.
And to suggest that the solution to poor coding is to "bump up the minimum requirements" is simply appalling.

The notion that simply because a resource is currently in abundance therefore we need not care says volumes, and not just about coding.

Now, for my personal situation, if Inno chooses to not work on making the game playable on older advertised compatible devices/systems, fine. Their game, their call as to how they spend their resources. However, if that is their decision, then it's well past time for an honest update to compatibility claims.

Taixun

No problem with your first paragraph. But really, "memory is not a limit anymore" "no need to write memory efficient code"? Each device is indeed limited as to its memory, and the other notion is absurd. Ever heard of a memory sink? That's a product of sloppy, inefficient coding.
And to suggest that the solution to poor coding is to "bump up the minimum requirements" is simply appalling.

The notion that simply because a resource is currently in abundance therefore we need not care says volumes, and not just about coding.

Now, for my personal situation, if Inno chooses to not work on making the game playable on older advertised compatible devices/systems, fine. Their game, their call as to how they spend their resources. However, if that is their decision, then it's well past time for an honest update to compatibility claims.
I don't completely disagree with you... it's just the way things are these days, and the way kids are taught in school. The more modern programming languages have little/no concept of memory management, it's all just taken care for the programmer in the backend (java, .net, python, go, etc). Very few use things like C/C++, where memory management knowledge is... more or less required in order to write decently efficient code. Most (not all, but most) kids these days don't know what a stack vs heap means, what a pointer is, or really how anything actually works in the backend of a computer... And yes, all of that means we have sloppy/inefficient coding... which is why I got out of being a developer (well, there were other reasons as well). I actually enjoyed writing "good" code, but the people paying my paycheck more often than not just wanted the result, and didn't care about how efficient it was. The faster the coding was done, the better. So even if I tried to write something amazingly efficient, not everyone on my team (or worse, contractors from you-know-where) does the same, which lead to... issues... moved to cybersec, so much better now ;)

And just throw in something on topic, I tried other browsers on the same computer, still have lag. Eh.

Alpha Persei

... memory, that is.

Does anyone else have trouble getting this feature to simply load? I enjoy playing it, but I usually get the Shield of Computer Death when I try to open it. I can sometimes get it to load only if I reboot the computer, clear the cache, take a shower, feed the cat, and put the computer on a bed of ice made from deionized water.

Does anyone at InnoGames know how to write subroutines that use minimal memory? These questions are vitally important to me!

???
on a bed of ice made from denoized water ?

Farfle the smelly

I don't completely disagree with you... it's just the way things are these days, and the way kids are taught in school. The more modern programming languages have little/no concept of memory management, it's all just taken care for the programmer in the backend (java, .net, python, go, etc). Very few use things like C/C++, where memory management knowledge is... more or less required in order to write decently efficient code. Most (not all, but most) kids these days don't know what a stack vs heap means, what a pointer is, or really how anything actually works in the backend of a computer... And yes, all of that means we have sloppy/inefficient coding... which is why I got out of being a developer (well, there were other reasons as well). I actually enjoyed writing "good" code, but the people paying my paycheck more often than not just wanted the result, and didn't care about how efficient it was. The faster the coding was done, the better. So even if I tried to write something amazingly efficient, not everyone on my team (or worse, contractors from you-know-where) does the same, which lead to... issues... moved to cybersec, so much better now ;)

And just throw in something on topic, I tried other browsers on the same computer, still have lag. Eh.
OMG, I feel like I’m sitting through Thanksgiving dinner all over again - dad and grandmother were programmer analysts...y’all just loooove talking code despite us laymen really just wanting you to pass the turkey.

To the OP, is it totally impossible for you to play on mobile? That’s how I play and it’s quite handy to collect my goods while my dog is handling her business.

Falconwing

Ok, I'm on a PC, HP-410y (never modified or upgraded), that will celebrate it's 10 year birthday in a couple of months or so and using Chrome. I do see the Shield from time to time, but most is from my internet 'hiccuping' for a moment or on days where the Inno site has heavy traffic (Sunday July 5th was a crowded day). Rarely does it morph into a Shield of Death, usually starts right back up in a second or so (depending on the length of the hiccup). The few authentic Shields of Death just required a quick refresh and I was back to normal.

I would comment on the code, but what I learned from my "Intro to Computers" class back in '86 faded away long ago.

DeletedUser4441

Switching from Flash (utilized System memory/CPU more) to HTML5 (Utilizes GPU/GPU Memory more) it is far far more important to have a greater amount of video memory (not shared memory that many laptops have which it used for video and CPU) and just as important to make certain your video drivers are updated regularly ( I have auto update on my Nvidia Cards) I have Twin GTX 1080's with 6 Gig Ram Each, but even I can bring them to their knees with FoE if I have too many other programs running in other widows. So, be aware of your resource limitations.

MarktheMagnificent

Being well into my second half century of life, I do feel a little lost with all this. However, I am an absolute master with a wax tablet and stylus.

lemur

Clear your cache.
Yep ... I clear the cache so often that I use a keyboard shortcut – almost like a "hotkey". So that's not the issue. But thanks for the reminder.
Yes!! It often seems that limits of any kind are viewed with disdain by this modern world of ours. But we scorn limits ultimately at our own peril.
To the OP, is it totally impossible for you to play on mobile?
Yes. I refuse to own one of those government surveillance devices. Neither will you ever see me doing the "blue checky" thing on Twitter.
it is far far more important to have a greater amount of video memory
Interesting ... I had not considered that, but I will now. :)

Agent327

Yep ... I clear the cache so often that I use a keyboard shortcut – almost like a "hotkey". So that's not the issue. But thanks for the reminder.

A browser like Firefox you can set to automatically clear the cache on closing. Don't know what you use, just saying there might be an easier option.

Taixun

Yes. I refuse to own one of those government surveillance devices. Neither will you ever see me doing the "blue checky" thing on Twitter.

*reposting after rewording it a bit :)

Since I know lots of folks with similar beliefs, and I know those folks also tend to use VPNs for the same reason... if you happen to be using a VPN, look into trying out a different provider. I've used multiple various VPNs in the past, some have caused issues when playing FOE (lag, nothing loading, etc).

Just An Observer

Using Flash with only IE open to the game and sites (one other window open) which never cause a problem with the game works very well for smooth screen movements and everything working. As soon as Chrome is opened, poof, there goes any playability for about 4 hours so I only use Chrome at the end of the day, do my business there which needs to be done there and shut down the computer when it is time to go to bed. Upon waking, everything is fine.

Trying to play FoE on Chrome makes for an unplayable game. So which browser gives the performance of Flash? Do any of them? Will Flash still be available to use in playing FoE on January 1, 2021? Would it be better to have a second computer just for playing FoE on? I do not wish to clear my cache on current computer as so many important pieces of information are present there.