• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guides for not quite beginners?

DeletedUser32296

Are there any good resources or guides for not quite beginners? I feel like there is still so much I don't understand about this game, though I've been playing a few months now. Guides I found mostly seem to be the basics of game play. I just still have lots of questions!

Like right now I'm in High Middle Ages and I only have a few more to research before I get to Late Middle Ages. I could just go ahead and research something in Late and move on, or I could finish High... not sure what are the benifits or down sides. Or if I should focus my FPs on Great Buildings right now.

Also, what is the role of a guild? Mine doesn't seem to have any communication that I can really find besides people asking for traded goods. Not sure if I should be expecting more, if I should be contributing something, or what. Other games I've played guilds have been good places to find out more about the game and learn strategy. I know I'm probably too new to contribute to a high leveled guild, but it would be nice to find something with some communication.

Salsuero

Are there any good resources or guides for not quite beginners? I feel like there is still so much I don't understand about this game, though I've been playing a few months now. Guides I found mostly seem to be the basics of game play. I just still have lots of questions!

Please don't take this the wrong way as I know it's going to sound rude... but... if you're still needing tutorials/guides, you're probably still in the "beginner" stage of the game. And there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you are advanced beyond simple guides, what you really should be doing is asking specific questions as you did below:

Like right now I'm in High Middle Ages and I only have a few more to research before I get to Late Middle Ages. I could just go ahead and research something in Late and move on, or I could finish High... not sure what are the benifits or down sides. Or if I should focus my FPs on Great Buildings right now.

The answer to this set of questions is specific and relative to your intended goals. Some people would find advancing on the tech tree to be the "right" path while others would suggest camping for a while. It's all about what you are trying to achieve.

The benefits and downsides of each without knowing your goals are difficult to pin down, but advancing means you get access to more tech sooner, you get to have more of a growth adventure, which can be quite a challenge. It's most likely a goal of getting to the end of the continental map and tech tree quicker than camping.

Those who stick to an era for a while can take time in investing in resources for later use, building up GBs for later benefit, and learning the game a little more since it's a delay in getting too far too quickly.

Either one can be good and bad, depending on your goals. I know there are a lot more specific answers to these questions, but that's more or less how I feel you can get an idea as to why you may find one or the other more appealing.

Also, what is the role of a guild? Mine doesn't seem to have any communication that I can really find besides people asking for traded goods. Not sure if I should be expecting more, if I should be contributing something, or what. Other games I've played guilds have been good places to find out more about the game and learn strategy. I know I'm probably too new to contribute to a high leveled guild, but it would be nice to find something with some communication.

I guess the simplest roles they play would be to facilitate free trade of goods (no FP costs), and reward members with benefits based on guild level. Of course you can't play certain elements of the game (GE, GvG) without a guild, so that's a role of sorts as well. They pretty much serve to provide a sense of community within an otherwise lonely game in you were to play entirely alone... assuming the guild is structured that way.

See the thing is... they are controlled by players, just like you. The goals of any guild are therefore controlled by the goals of the founders/leaders. If you are uncertain, the best thing to do is to ask you guild's founders/leaders about your particular guild. From there, you can decide if you are in agreement or not. There are many guilds with many different play styles. Not all of them will be compatible with all players.

So, it's important to find a guild you enjoy playing with more than anything. If they have lots of goods to trade and they have high bonuses, that would be a nice upside. But sticking with a guild where you are unhappy just for those things is probably not the best for your long-term motivation.

That's just my free 2¢. I hope it was helpful in some small way.

DeletedUser32296

Please don't take this the wrong way as I know it's going to sound rude... but... if you're still needing tutorials/guides, you're probably still in the "beginner" stage of the game. And there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you are advanced beyond simple guides, what you really should be doing is asking specific questions as you did below:

I guess more I was looking for like a hints and tips or something type guide. Beginners guides are more "This icon does that, you spend this to buy that" which I've found in just playing the game. But strategy, ideas on how to play the long game, that's more what I'm curious about.

I'm not quite sure how I'm playing the game because I'm not really sure what goes on in the end game/modern era/beyond. Maybe that's what I'd like a guide to, understanding that! I know from the forum I'm picking up a few things, but without really know how the game changes, its hard to know what preparations I need to make now. Already I can think of ways I wish I'd done things differently when I first started the game.

I chose my current guild based on numbers, figured a bigger one was better for stuff like the trading. I've tried to contact our founder/leader and got no reply back. I like the GE and always finish it pretty easily, so I don't know if I'd be ready for the harder difficulty, but even if I am, I can't get in touch with our only founder/leader to get it opened up. I know game just says donate and contact leader. Guess maybe I'll look around for something else, though I'm guessing there is a cool down period to join a new guild.

Thanks for your 2 cents, it was appreciated!

Salsuero

I guess more I was looking for like a hints and tips or something type guide. Beginners guides are more "This icon does that, you spend this to buy that" which I've found in just playing the game. But strategy, ideas on how to play the long game, that's more what I'm curious about.

But there are guides like that. For example, the heavy questing guide. Or the guide that suggests which troops are best to use when and why. I believe there's one that discusses FP for goods trades. Forgive me if I don't know more about the specifics as I've never been the type to follow directions. ;)

I'm not quite sure how I'm playing the game because I'm not really sure what goes on in the end game/modern era/beyond. Maybe that's what I'd like a guide to, understanding that! I know from the forum I'm picking up a few things, but without really know how the game changes, its hard to know what preparations I need to make now. Already I can think of ways I wish I'd done things differently when I first started the game.

I get what you're saying... a guide on many of these things could be handy. But if they don't exist, you should still just consider asking those questions that matter to you most. There may not be a guide, but you're sure to get some responses from folks who want to help.

I chose my current guild based on numbers, figured a bigger one was better for stuff like the trading. I've tried to contact our founder/leader and got no reply back. I like the GE and always finish it pretty easily, so I don't know if I'd be ready for the harder difficulty, but even if I am, I can't get in touch with our only founder/leader to get it opened up. I know game just says donate and contact leader. Guess maybe I'll look around for something else, though I'm guessing there is a cool down period to join a new guild.

If you can't get a response from your guild leadership, I would suggest you find a better guild. That's definitely a bad situation for you. In my opinion, guild leadership should be available to its members to answer questions about the guild... at the bare minimum. I'm sorry it's been a struggle for you. But I'm sure there is a better guild for your particular desires. The only cool down period is to rejoin a guild, not to join a new one. You can leave and immediately join a new one.

Thanks for your 2 cents, it was appreciated!

I'm glad to be helpful.

DeletedUser32296

Okay, so I feel like an idiot now but I was looking in the guide section and some how only looking under the "Best Guides" section which did not have any of the stuff I was looking for.... I'm gonna blame my toddlers and go pretend that never happened :) But you did answer my immediate questions, thank you!

Salsuero

Okay, so I feel like an idiot now but I was looking in the guide section and some how only looking under the "Best Guides" section which did not have any of the stuff I was looking for.... I'm gonna blame my toddlers and go pretend that never happened :) But you did answer my immediate questions, thank you!

You're very welcome. Glad to be of assistance. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

DeletedUser

Which world do you play on?

Salsuero

Which world do you play on?

Roughly half of your guild appears to be "part-time" players. You are in the 271st ranked guild in your world. You can do better. Contact the top 20 guilds in your world and ask them what you need to become a member. Ask them what the require of you and ask them the things that are important to you about a guild. You will find a much better fit than your current guild. I guarantee it.