• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Military tactics

DeletedUser28446

I have read every guide on these forums and yes they have helped a ton. Im still loosing a ton as well and its beginning to get really frustrating. I think its because im used to the console type of pvp but man im stumped. What is the best way to approach your enemies on the battlefield? I know to try and match up against the enemies weakness and use the terrain but i think i just cant get the movement from space to space correct. What I see happening is i move to the wrong spot and get ganged up on or when i fight a team full of 8 calvery, I get slaughtered.
Im in the EMA now and dont have any military units from this age as of yet. Im using Archers, Soldiers and Legionnaires. I have my Zues at lvl 3 almost 4. Please any suggestions would be appreciated. If I wasnt clear enough or didnt include enough info please tell me and Ill place it in the next post.

wolfhoundtoo

Are you fighting on the continental map, GE or actually attacking other players cities? There is some difference between the A.I.s that run the enemy forces. Also are you on mobile or PC? I know on PC on your turn you can select each of the enemy units by hovering the mouse over them and it will highlight the movement range of the enemy as well as the range they can shoot.

As a general tip you want to hold your units in place the 1st turn if you aren't comfortable with he movement ranges quite yet. this way you can usually attack the enemy unit's forward units with all of yours and get a numerical advantage early.

What units (specifically) are you using when you are using against the enemy calvery?

DeletedUser28446

Against Calvery I use legionnaires and archers. I am on the continent map mostly. What are the differences with the maps? I'm mostly pc but when at work I'm on iPad

DeletedUser25273

Against Calvary, you want to be using light units (like soldiers). Archers are weak against Fast, and would expect to get slaughtered.

Attacking up an age in units is tough, and really requires you to have a fairly strong boost from buildings like the Statue of Zeus. My first suggestion is that you have moved farther on the continent map than is good, and you need to advance on the tech tree to get the units you will need.

DeletedUser28446

Thank you so much for clarifying that to me. I thought I was fighting to high in age. I'll work on my tree then

wolfhoundtoo

At the bottom of the battle screen do you see the various units (both yours and the enemy)? That shows the movement order. If you click on one of those icons it will highlight the enemy unit and it's movement range (shades the potential hexes slightly) and the hexes they can "hit' with their weapons (they are also shaded just a lighter shade). That is how you can tell where the enemy can move to on their next turn and the possible areas they can attack so if you avoid that area you can probably get the 1st shot in. This way you can kill more of their units.

Calvary are fast units (assuming you mean actual cavalry and not mounted archers) which are best countered by light and heavy units that will retal the 1st hit upon them (archers being ranged units don't retal). In addition fast units generally get an attack boost and defense boost against ranged units (such as the archer) so using archers is generally a bad idea for Calvary. Light units tend to get an attack boost against fast units making them a better choice than archers.

DeletedUser26965

Here's the three best things I think one can do;

1. Unit v unit and terrain bonuses as you mentioned https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Units
2. Utilizing the unit bar to see what unit is next and hovering over units for range as wolf mentions, browser only for hover and highlighting which units are next
3. Understanding how damage is applied and "Expected damage"