• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

New special military units

Jern2017

Would anyone else like to see some new special military units?

Currently, there are four. Military Drummers and Color Guard are only useful up to the Early Middle Ages.
Rogues become less and less useful as enemy AI starts ignoring them in the Postmodern Era .

This leaves us with Champions. But I'd love to see some special military units that can be effectively used later in the game.

Can't say I have any solid ideas on which special units I'd like to see, therefore it's not a proposal, just a thread other people can comment on.

Maybe...

Spy (cloak and hood before the PE, flatcap and long coat from the PE to CE...). A light unit that could cause the enemy to skip a turn.

Engineer. A light unit that would increase the range of ranged units.

Medic. A heavy unit that could heal other units.

Intelligence officer. A chance of seeing one turn ahead where the enemy will place their unit.

Do you have any ideas?

Not saying my suggestions are good, but I think additional special units that can be used in all ages would be cool.

Agent327

Currently, there are four. Military Drummers and Color Guard are only useful up to the Early Middle Ages.

No they are not. They are very useful in GvG in all ages.

Rogues become less and less useful as enemy AI starts ignoring them in the Postmodern Era .

Wrong again. AI on the map always ignores them all the time. AI in PvP never ignores them.

This leaves us with Champions. But I'd love to see some special military units that can be effectively used later in the game.

Three strikes, you are out!. Champions are useless in most era's.

Can't say I have any solid ideas on which special units I'd like to see, therefore it's not a proposal, just a thread other people can comment on.

Maybe...

Spy (cloak and hood before the PE, flatcap and long coat from the PE to CE...). A light unit that could cause the enemy to skip a turn.

Engineer. A light unit that would increase the range of ranged units.

Medic. A heavy unit that could heal other units.

Intelligence officer. A chance of seeing one turn ahead where the enemy will place their unit.

Do you have any ideas?

Not saying my suggestions are good, but I think additional special units that can be used in all ages would be cool.

Looks to me like your suggestions are coming from another game.

Arya66

Can't say about the usefulness of current Special Units, but I do like some off the suggestions for new ones.

Jern2017

I should've added I play on mobile and have no experience with GVG and drummers/color guard. In the continent map, PVP and GE, they are useless in my opinion.

I never said Champions are a good, useful special military unit. I personally don't like them, but their stats change throughout the ages, as opposed to the Drummers and Color Guard.

As for the rogues, i heard they are useless from the PME on from lots of experienced players. I'm in the PE so I should've added I'm not speaking from my experience. But I'm not completely wrong if they only don't get ignored in PVP.

No, my suggestions are not coming from another game, this is the only one I play.

Ta 152H

So long as I'm not using rogues, Drummers can be used in any age. If you're using rogues, forget it.

I'm noticing rogues are getting ignored more and more by units, particularly specials. I guess this is something Inno is slowing adding to the game because they realize rogues were a mistake as they currently are constituted. But, even in GE, the specials will now ignore the rogues (at least in some situations) and whack the real units. It's been that way for Champs for a while, but I noticed a drummer and color guard to that very recently as well.

CGs aren't good past EMA, for sure. I'll agree with that. Champs can be very good in some ages, but others they are not. CE champs are very good in some situations, for example, but I rarely use them in other ages. Drummers I always use if I'm not using rogues, as they give a nice boost, plus the extra hit point adds some damage and allows more damage. And the AI doesn't really like the drummers much, so they are decent cannon fodder in addition to making other units better.

I'd like to see the boost on drummers go up slightly with age, start at 4% at IA, and be 8% and OF, but since they are ageless units, it would be a significant change for Inno, as they would have to be linked to an age.

Agent327

As for the rogues, i heard they are useless from the PME on from lots of experienced players. I'm in the PE so I should've added I'm not speaking from my experience. But I'm not completely wrong if they only don't get ignored in PVP.

Then you heard wrong and those players do not know what they are talking about.

They do not get ignored in GE either and if you play smart on the continent map you can force the AI not to ignore them.

No, my suggestions are not coming from another game, this is the only one I play.

Strangely enough you are mentioning units from Red Alert.

DeletedUser

I should've added I play on mobile and have no experience with GVG and drummers/color guard. In the continent map, PVP and GE, they are useless in my opinion.
I would agree with this assessment. Besides having weak attack that gets worse relative to other units as you age up, they always and forever have a range of 1, which makes them worse than useless at higher ages.
I never said Champions are a good, useful special military unit. I personally don't like them, but their stats change throughout the ages, as opposed to the Drummers and Color Guard.
I also basically agree with this. The only era I've made use of Champs is CE, and then only on defense.
Don't listen to those "experienced" players. I don't know what game they're playing. Rogues are great in any age on offense, but especially in the era just after PME, which is Contemporary Era. When you match 7 Rogues with 1 AAV in CE, you are almost unstoppable if you have a decent attack boost.

Jern2017

I love Rogues. I have 2 hideouts and my Alcatraz is producing a never-ending supply of them. I was hoping to be able to use them in higher ages. You gave me some hope.

I doubt I'd use any other special units much, if they do decide to introduce them. I just thought about it and it could be fun, because drummers and color guard are aimed towards players in lower ages of the game, with GVG apparently being excluded.

I just plundered 2 of my neighbors who had them set as defense along with some PE troops. My snipers destroyed them. The attack/defense boosts they offer is trivial in, let's say, my age, when lots of players have offensive and defensive GBs at levels where their boosts far surpass the boosts drummers or color guard have.

wolfhoundtoo

I love Rogues. I have 2 hideouts and my Alcatraz is producing a never-ending supply of them. I was hoping to be able to use them in higher ages. You gave me some hope.

I doubt I'd use any other special units much, if they do decide to introduce them. I just thought about it and it could be fun, because drummers and color guard are aimed towards players in lower ages of the game, with GVG apparently being excluded.

I just plundered 2 of my neighbors who had them set as defense along with some PE troops. My snipers destroyed them. The attack/defense boosts they offer is trivial in, let's say, my age, when lots of players have offensive and defensive GBs at levels where their boosts far surpass the boosts drummers or color guard have.

Rogues become less useful on the Continental map because of the tendency of the AI to kill the real units 1st. Depending on the units you select and what you are facing, the type of map and the bonuses involved then you can use some amount of rogues on the continental map pretty effectively. if you want to auto battle rogue heavy armies are of course pretty much suicide on the continental map (GE and GVG it's going to depend on the age/units/number of rogues and if there's more than 1 battle).

In short rogues are extremely powerful if utilized correctly.