• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Probable Spoiler Alert!!! (Batman Movie)

DeletedUser

Well his full name is Robin so they were defo hinting at him being Robin. However it looks like Wayne is not going to be batman again, so maybe it is Blake for batman and someone new for Robin?

Who knows... However if Blake is batman, where will he get all the kit from? Or are we to believe that he just happens to be exactly the same size as Wayne? :p

DeletedUser

No one replaces the Batman. Besides, it wouldn't make sense for him to be the Batman, since they all think he is dead.

DeletedUser

But as Wayne said again and again, 'The point of the mask is that anyone could be the batman'.

DeletedUser34

I think it he is Batman.
"The Dark Knight Trilogy - The Complete Screenplays" Published July 2012 by Faber & Faber Ltd. (UK) In memory of the victims of the tragedy in Aurora said:
GORDON
But shouldn’t the people know the
hero who saved them?
BATMAN
A hero can be anyone. That was
always the point.
**Batman sits into the cockpit, then looks again at Gordon.
Anyone. A man doing something as
simple and reassuring as putting a
coat around a little boy’s
shoulders to let him know that the
world hadn’t ended...
Just one of many places in the movie that elude to Blake is now Batman.
For starters, Nolan hasn't followed the traditional Batman format at all. He has taken quite a few literary privileges with his portrayal. Maybe the new Batman's name being Robin plays on the term Batman and Robin "one man, two masks", rather than literally like two men, master and sidekick.

It seems to me that Batman has groomed Blake and in the end, he told him HOW to get to the bat cave. I can't see him doing that if he didn't foresee Blake as the new Dread Pirate Scott. I think the dialog between Gordon and Batman show Bruce"s insight into his thinking. Anyone can become a hero...Batman himself came out of nothing but a scared little kid, given encouragement from a man. If he can do it, why can't Blake?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

But the point of the 'anyone can be Batman' thing was to inspire people (which was Bruce's hope, as said in The Dark Knight), not to allude to a second Batman.

There's no doubt that Bruce gave the location of the cave to Blake, but the point of doing so was to give him the resources he needed to be a hero capable of what the Batman was able to do (investigation, equipment, etc). Going into the details, Batman tells Blake to wear a mask to protect those closest to him. He never said 'the mask' or 'my mask,' and so he is in a way telling him to come up with a new mask and a new persona.

Perhaps we could even look to what the movie poster says: "The Legend Ends." The person being referred to here can only be the Batman. It can't be Bruce, since he is still alive. Not only that, but to have Bruce be the center of the legend rather than his alter ego would be arrogant (can't think of the right word). The Batman is a symbol of hope, and having saved the city numerous times, his actions have created a legend. The dictionary definition of legend is "A traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated." So the Batman can't exist anymore if a legend is to end.

DeletedUser34

Daniel,
I disagree. While Nolan was rather loose in much of his interpretation, he still stayed with the ideals of the comic. Batman has died how many times in the comic series? I can think of at least 3. I think Nolan simply took things deeper, from being an idol to be looked up to, to rather an ideal instead. And the legend as we knew it ended. I think the next era of Gotham might make a NEW hero batman emerge. If Bruce is no longer Batman, and Batman is dead, why repair the Bat Lamp?

Also, you are misrepresenting the conversation in which "the mask" is being discussed.
Wayne stares out the window. Blake glances across.
BLAKE
When you began...why the mask?
WAYNE
To protect the people closest to
me.
BLAKE
You’re a loner with no family.
WAYNE
There are always people you care
about. You just don’t realize how
much until they’re gone. (Collects
himself.) The idea was to be a
symbol. Batman could be anybody,
that was the point.
Than later on in the script
BLAKE
You missed a spot.
Batman boots him in the head as he moves towards Blake.
BATMAN
If you’re working alone, wear a
mask.
BLAKE
No one cares who I am.
BATMAN
The mask is not for you. It’s to
protect the people you care about.
BLAKE
Huh. And you always seem to know
where those people are. How is
that?
BATMAN
I lost someone once. Since then I
break into their homes when they’re
sleeping and implant a tracking
device on the back of their neck.
*Blake laughs. Then feels the back of his neck. Batman tosses Blake a mini-mine.

Clearly between both of these scenes something has happened, and Batman has now decided his heir.

Last edited by a moderator: