• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

PvP Tower

DeletedUser

In the Iron Age PvP Tower, why am I up against players that have all Early Middle Age units while I'm limited to Iron Age units?

DeletedUser8152

The tower is always based on the units you attack with. So anyone with points in the Iron Age tower fought those battles with Iron Age units. But they might also have higher age units that they can use for their city defense. The age of the defending units doesn't affect what tower the battle counts for.

DeletedUser

That doesn't seem right. Someone from a higher level can enter a lower level PvP Tower with a couple weak units, lose the fight but now be ranked in first place because no one from that age stands a chance against more powerful units. A player should only be allowed to compete in the PvP Tower with players of equal strength. If you're in the Middle Ages you should have no business in the Iron Age PvP Tower. That's my Opinion!

Czari

I have a guildmate and coincidentally had been in the name neighborhood for approximately 6 months. He is EMA and, after the recent neighborhood change, is in a hood of mostly Modern Era cities and is getting attacked by Tanks!!! That's a huge discrepancy!

DeletedUser8152

That doesn't seem right. Someone from a higher level can enter a lower level PvP Tower with a couple weak units, lose the fight but now be ranked in first place because no one from that age stands a chance against more powerful units. A player should only be allowed to compete in the PvP Tower with players of equal strength. If you're in the Middle Ages you should have no business in the Iron Age PvP Tower. That's my Opinion!
It doesn't work that way. If the higher ranked player is able to beat some city's defense using iron age units, then you ought to be able to beat that same player's defense and compete. Everyone scoreing points in the Iron Age tower is using Iron Age units, regardless of who they are fighting. So no one has an advantage based on age.

(You might of course have an advantage if you have attack boosts from great buildings, but that is available to anyone who dedicates the effort to it.)

DeletedUser4844

Not only can they do this, but it is possible for everyone in a neighborhood to do this. Imagine a neighborhood with mostly tomorrow era people in it, they all compete for all towers, so it is possible that all of them are sending a bunch of spearfighters and slingers off to everyone els to compete in the bronze age tower. It'd be kind of ridiculous, since, chances are, none of them would win any fights, because everyone's defenses would be Tomorrow Era unless somebody forgot to put up any defense at all.

However, keep in mind, the game does try to balance neighborhoods so that there isn't too big a discrepancy between the lowest age and highest age players. 2 eras is very common, or 3, but more then that is very rare. You only compete in towers with people in your neighborhood, so it's generally not as unbalanced as you might think. Also, there is a strong incentive for people of a higher age not to compete in much lower age towers. The rewards are far worse, and if they are competing in the much lower age they need to have a full set of troops for the much lower age, which means they will have less troops of their own age where the rewards for competing are much higher.

That being said, there is only one age difference between lower middle age and iron age. Expect people from LMA to compete in IA tournaments a lot. IT will be hard to beat their defenses with your IA units, but then, if they are competing in the Iron age tower, they probably aren't having much success attacking other people who are in the LMA either. They are probably just attacking other people in the Iron age with their iron age units, and you can do the same, so the competition isn't as uneven as you think.

DeletedUser

Then it looks like I'm wasting time and resources competing in my Iron Age Tower. It is held by High Middle Age Players. Since I'm limited to Legionnaires, Ballistas and Mounted Warriors while the people that hold the prizes have Heavy Infantry, Trebuchets, and Knights I don't stand much of a chance. I've lost three 8 packs trying. You should have to defend your position with the same units that you won it with.
I guess the trick is to make 8 (cheap) Warriors, jump into 1st place in the Bronze Age Tower and defend IT with with my Legionnaires & Mounted Warriors. Then sit back and wait for my Medals. If I stay 2-3 Ages behind I might have a chance. That doesn't seem fair but how do they say it? "When in Rome..............."!

P.S. This is quite discouraging to new players and probably leads to a high drop rate. If you don't stand a chance of winning a battle then why play.

DeletedUser8152

Then it looks like I'm wasting time and resources competing in my Iron Age Tower. It is held by High Middle Age Players. Since I'm limited to Legionnaires, Ballistas and Mounted Warriors while the people that hold the prizes have Heavy Infantry, Trebuchets, and Knights I don't stand much of a chance.
But those HMA players cannot use their HMA units for the Iron Age battles. Most likely they are using iron age units to attack the iron age cities in your neighborhood, and using HMA units to attack the HMA cities in your hood. Those HMA battles show up as points in the HMA tower. Obviously you can't compete in the HMA tower. But you can use your iron age troops to fight the iron age cities, just like they do. So you can compete.

I've lost three 8 packs trying. You should have to defend your position with the same units that you won it with.
I guess the trick is to make 8 (cheap) Warriors, jump into 1st place in the Bronze Age Tower and defend IT with with my Legionnaires & Mounted Warriors. Then sit back and wait for my Medals. If I stay 2-3 Ages behind I might have a chance. That doesn't seem fair but how do they say it? "When in Rome..............."!
I think I see the problem. You don't attack a spot in the tower to take it. If the person in first place on your tower has HMA troops for defense, you should not attack him, and you don't need to. He's only in first place because he has the most battle points from iron age fighting. He got those points by attacking iron age people, not HMA people. You can attack the same iron age people with your iron age troops, and get the same points. In fact you should be able to attack more, because he is probably trying to win the HMA and EMA towers too. If you collect more battle points than him, then you will be in first place in the tower, even though you cannot defeat his city. Does that make some sense?

DeletedUser17462

While it's possible to attack your neighbors' cities from the tower window, it's not advisable. You're better finding them through the neighborhood bar and checking out their cities first to get a rough idea of what you might be facing. This way you can see what age they're in and also what boosts they have from GBs and special buildings like the watchfire and tigers den. Also, there's no shame in retreating if you launch an attack only to realize you are way outclassed by your opponent. You lose nothing this way if you do it before taking any losses.

DeletedUser

Try thinking of a player’s city like a school; a High School or College.
The armies of a city are like the sports teams of a school.
In each sport the schools have several levels of competition; varsity, junior varsity and freshman.
In competition, the varsity squad of a school competes against the varsity squads of the other schools, the JV squads against other JVs and the frosh against other frosh.
In the Tournament Towers, your JV (Iron Age) team is only competing for points against other JV (Iron Age) teams.
However, when you attack a city, you can expect a smart player to have his best (Varsity) team defending it. So your JV (Iron Age) team is challenging the Varsity (Early Middle Age) team of the bigger and older city. If they beat your Iron Age troops, they get NO POINTS in the Iron Age Tower for having done so. In fact they get NO POINTS at all since points can only be earned by the attacking army.
If you manage to beat that team of Varsity (EMA) troops with your JV (Iron Age) team you DO GET POINTS in the Iron Age Tower and plenty of them at that!
IT IS POSSIBLE TO WIN against Early Middle Age troops with Iron Age units IF YOU LEARN HOW TO FIGHT WELL.
There is a skill set to fighting in this game but many (most) players never learn it. Since the advent of GvG it has become all about who has the biggest Zeus and the Art of War has largely been lost.
(But I digress.)
Learn to fight smarter and you will be more successful in the Tower competitions.
There are several parts to fighting smarter and I won’t go into all of them but for starters you can go a long way with the two “R”s: RECON and RETREAT.
RECON: BEFORE you attack a city, LOOK at it. What military buildings are in the city? If there are several EMA barracks then you can be fairly certain that the city will be defended by EMA troops or even better.
If there are only Bronze Age barracks then there is a good chance that that will be the toughest you will meet when you attack it. THIS IS NOT A GUARUNTEE! There is such a thing as UN-ATTACHED UNITS. These are homeless soldiers; they have no barracks so cannot be predicted by RECON.
This brings up the second “R”.
RETREAT: If you are quite certain you have stumbled into a fight you can’t win, DON’T FIGHT IT!
Hit the white flag and GET OUT OF THERE! Save your troops (and the coin and supply it cost to build them) for a fight you have a chance of winning.

ahsay

It's not that complicated.

If you attack with bronze age army you compete in the bronze age (PlayerVersus'Player or PVP) tower. Anyone with even one soldier in a higher age will only get PVP tower points for that higher age if they win.

You can never lose...I repeat...you can never lose. Why? If you bring your bronze age army to any city, continent or GVG battle (remember any fight you can fight counts in the PVP tower) and you're overmatched...hit surrender. Move on. Then find someone you can beat with your bronze age army.

That's it. There's a few tricks you can learn and other details but that's the basics. No need to be discouraged at all...good luck.

DeletedUser10517

Anyone who competes in a specific age tower can only use units of that age.....so you are all of an equal strength.

It doesnt matter what age a players city is.......they could be in the Late Middle Ages......but if they want to compete in the Iron Age Towers, they have to use Iron Age Troops.

That means everyone in the Iron Age rankings ALL used iron age troops. A player cant use higher aged Troops for Iron Age Towers.

Also, do not attack other players from the list in the Towers......as you will come across tougher defenses.

Use the neighbourhood bar. Go to each players town and if they have an Iron Age town hall, chances are their defenses will be Iron Age, which is what you are looking for.

If a player is in LMA, and he also wants to compete in the Iron Age towers, he will also need to find players with Iron Age defenses.......as he also would have no chance against LMA defenses.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4844

Anyone who competes in a specific age tower can only use units of that age
...or lower.

When an attacker attacks with a combination of iron age and bronze age units they go in the iron age tower. When they attack with a combination of iron, bronze, and early middle age units they go in the early middle age tower, etc. Whichever is the highest age unit of the attacker is the age of the tower where points go into (if the attacker wins).