• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Question: Goods Research Supplies Expenditure: Industrial Age

AceGoober

Howdy Folks!

I'm a bit confused about something and am hoping to receive a answer to this particular 'anomaly'. I've ran internet searches and forum searches for the last 2 hours without getting a hit so I'm turning to the forum to find an answer. Google Fu has failed me! Or, I didn't input the appropriate search queries.

Before someone responds with a smart-aleck answer, I am fully aware that as research is completed costs will go up. That is a given on any game so please refrain from lecturing me on such and such. Thank you.

In Colonial Age, there are 3 Goods research trees: Porcelain, Industrial Goods and Plantation Goods. Supply costs to unlock are 20,000 - 30,000 - 15,000 respectively.

In Industrial Age, there are 2 Goods research trees: Industrialization and Extraction. Supply costs to unlock are 300,000 and 150,000 respectively.

In Progressive Era, there are 4 Goods research trees: Mass Manufacturing, Modern Explosives, Oil Refining and Modern Materials. Supply costs to unlock are 75,000 - 75,000 - 25,000 - 75,000, respectively.

My question is: Why is there such a huge supply expenditure costs for Colonial Age Industrialization and Extraction Research when compared to prior and future Goods Research Trees? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer which clears-up this particular 'anomoly'. :)

DeletedUser10720

While I can't say for certain why the decision to put the supplies cost so high at the industrial tech there. If you take into consideration the total amount of goods and FP needed for the tech's surrounding it, the overall total costs scale up at relatively similar levels.

There do seem to be strange anomalies in the distribution of costs at times, I believe this is more or less due to finding a relatively equal need for all resources across each age and a means of compensating for an imbalance that would lessen the value of supplies in the overall need.

wolfhoundtoo

I'd also venture that it is a part of Inno's design to make completing the techs more of a challenge. Most builds by the time you reach PE would be able to accommodate higher costs of supplies and so no doubt they made it harder in other aspects (as pointed out above).

Also in industrial age there is a great building called the Royal Albert Hall which can increase the amount of supplies that your buildings can produce. That supply cost is no doubt at least partially meant to encourage you to get that Great Building. Most would agree that it despite it's size that the particular Great Building is needed for most city designs.

DeletedUser

If you notice, in general supplies cost for tech increases starting in Industrial Age. And the difference between Indy and PE goods techs is undoubtedly due to the fact that the Indy ones are the first two techs in the age. Look at the first column of techs in PE, they're also higher than usual. Must have something to do with entering a more advanced/mechanized age.