• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

TOR relic drops

So I suspect TOR acts differently than advertised. Can’t prove it but let’s say I have a strong hunch that it is going off of more than % chance of spawning a relic of certain rarity. So when I first put down TOR back in Iron age, GE was amazing I kept getting a lot of gold relics and they all mostly gave me fp. Than I upgraded my TOR to lvl 13 and the amount of gold relics dropped, kept getting more common relics. Somehow lvl13 TOR felt worse than lvl4 in Iron Age. Over past few months I really pushed in ages, and now I’m in postmodern era. Let’s say that my lvl13 TOR isn’t cutting it anymore, every GE barely gjves me any relics and when I finally do get a relic its common with crappy building instead of fp. Does anyone else have a suspicion that TOR performs differently based on lvl and the city age?

Mor-Rioghain

I think this subject has come up throughout the years and those who've actually tracked their rewards and not use generalizations have proven with very little variance that the ToR, does indeed, spawn relics at the proscribed percentages for it's level, regardless of the era of the player or the age of the city.

xivarmy

You're just experiencing the cruel mistress variance in your claim that it's worse - there is something to "it's not that much better though" (the biggest gain in levelling ToR is in increasing Jade Relics from miniscule to occasional; silver and gold relics only increase slowly)

When there's only 1 or 2 specific relics you want, that chance is actually relatively low - which isn't to say you can't get lucky (which probably happened with your Lv 4 ToR), but it also makes long stretches where you start asking "why?" quite likely - even if you've levelled it a bit.

I'll run some stats and give you a table to show you how wide the gap is expected to be later today :)

Dursland

I had the same issue myself. Felt it gave more rewards at level 10 than it did at level 11 onwards. My advice is to just keep leveling it. Once it hits around 20 you should start seeing improvements. I took mine to level 100 and I'm very happy with it. The majority of the rewards aren't useful where I'm at in the game but I'm always thrilled to get 100fp or a fountain of youth - especially as hard as wishing wells are to come by now.

And at level 100 it hits both of those often enough to keep me happy.

Mor-Rioghain

I had the same issue myself. Felt it gave more rewards at level 10 than it did at level 11 onwards. My advice is to just keep leveling it. Once it hits around 20 you should start seeing improvements. I took mine to level 100 and I'm very happy with it. The majority of the rewards aren't useful where I'm at in the game but I'm always thrilled to get 100fp or a fountain of youth - especially as hard as wishing wells are to come by now.

And at level 100 it hits both of those often enough to keep me happy.
My comfort level for my style of play and what I do in the expedition is level 40. I've seen an apprecable difference in the number and type of relics that give me the rewards I'm interested in. I did notice that there was a significant difference between level 30 and level 40. My interest has primarily been in increasing my chances at spawning common relics over uncommon and at L40 that begins it's downward trend from 60.34% at level 39 to 60.11 but is at a comfortable 26.5% spawn rate. The acquisition of Jade Relics never really interested me as I can also garner those rewards in the chests for the most part.

xivarmy

ToR Level 1​
ToR Level 10​
ToR Level 60​
Chance of Relic​
12.00%​
16.25%​
30.25%​
Chance Relic is Uncommon​
25.25%​
26.46%​
29.43%​
Chance Relic is Rare​
1.00%​
5.50%​
15.04%​
Overall Common Frequency​
8.85%​
11.06%​
16.80%​
Overall Uncommon Frequency​
3.03%​
4.30%​
8.90%​
Overall Rare Frequency​
0.12%​
0.89%​
4.55%​
In 64 Encounters:​
Unlucky Common​
2 = 7.0%​
3 = 6.7%​
6 = 7.1%​
Expected Common​
5.66​
7.08​
10.75​
Lucky Common​
9 = 94.6%​
11 = 95.4%​
15 = 93.9%​
Unlucky Uncommon​
0 = 14.0%​
0 = 6.0%​
2 = 6.8%​
Expected Uncommon​
1.94​
2.75​
5.70​
Lucky Uncommon​
4 = 95.6%​
5 = 94.3%​
9 = 94.4%​
Unlucky Rare​
0 = 92.6%​
0 = 56.3%​
0 = 5.1%​
Expected Rare​
0.08​
0.57​
2.91​
Lucky Rare​
1 = 99.7%​
1 = 88.8%​
5 = 92.9%​
Overall 100 FP Frequency (based on wiki)​
0.55%​
0.77%​
1.60%​
Unlucky 100 FP​
548 = 95.01%​
386 = 95.02%​
186 = 95.04%​
Expected Encounters per 100 FP Relic​
183.4​
129.2​
62.4​
Lucky 100 FP​
10 = 5.32%​
7 = 5.29%​
4 = 6.26%​

Some things to notice from the table:

1) An unlucky week for a ToR Level 60 is generally still worse than a lucky week for a ToR Level 1 (exception Jade kinda)
2) Lucky and unlucky I usually aimed for ~5% chance - this is something you should expect about 2-3 times a year. Some of the particularly long odds though unlucky was very very common for for obvious reasons. The numbers should be read as the percentage chance of X or Less successes.
3) The final few lines were for an example of a dead spell when you only care about 1 result from 1 relic. As you can see it's not terribly uncommon even at level 60 to go 3 seasons (= ~192 encounters) without seeing that 1 result you really want. And similarly it's not terribly uncommon to see a second one in close succession at level 1. The levels *do* help your odds, but they do not guarantee a result.