• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Unneeded Irreplaceable Items

Czari

In one of my recent threads, "How to Balance Military Units + Population," one of the suggestions was that having an item just to have one is a luxury (thank you Glarg :)). This brings up a point I've thought about for awhile - deleting items that were won during events and can't be replaced but that are not serving any purpose. My specific example is that I have two Sandcastles in my main city. The only thing they provide is happiness. Each one, polished, provides 960 happiness so I receive 1,920 with the two. However, due to GBs, etc. without the two Sandcastles I would still have approximately 3,143 happiness, depending on the polishing.

So the Sandcastles are taking up valuable space but my sentimental side is saying, "But you won them and can't get them back" although I do have a third one in inventory I can look at I suppose....lol. I know logically I need to delete them and some of you reading this are thinking, "What's the problem? You don't need them, they're taking up space, ditch them!!!"

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else battles this "sentimental" thing with unneeded, irreplaceable items.

DeletedUser8152

If you like having them in your city, keep them. Part of the game is making the city you want, not necessarily conforming to some standard.

At any rate, something to bear in mind is that we have 3-4 big events every year, so if you do delete them you'll have a chance to win more (and higher age ones) again later.

DeletedUser8796

Some players collect those irreplaceable items such as watch fires it is pretty common.

DeletedUser10415

See my signature line. I deleted the premium and event decorations I had in my city because they were eating up too much aid, but I'm bitter about it.

Czari

See my signature line. I deleted the premium and event decorations I had in my city because they were eating up too much aid, but I'm bitter about it.
I've noticed your signature and actually went to the forum link included as I didn't really understand your quote. I didn't have time to read the entire thread at the time so I'm still not sure what your signature means unless you regret getting rid of some decos. I'll need to go read the entire thread.

DeletedUser9732

If you like having them in your city, keep them. Part of the game is making the city you want, not necessarily conforming to some standard.

At any rate, something to bear in mind is that we have 3-4 big events every year, so if you do delete them you'll have a chance to win more (and higher age ones) again later.

To expand on this, there's also the possibility of renovation kits, which bring the level of an item up to your current age.

jaelis is right though, it is a matter of personal strategy and/or desire. If you're going for efficient, you're going to have to sell off or reno kit event items after a couple ages. And more than likely you'll never even want to put down any special decos.

DeletedUser8152

To be fair, I've kept all my special decos and I still get 100% MP'd. So I have a hard time getting too worked up about that particular issue. (Though I'd still change the aid priorities if I could.)

DeletedUser10415

I'm still not sure what your signature means unless you regret getting rid of some decos.

I don't regret getting rid of them - They had to go. I am bitter about being forced by the aid mechanism to choose between an efficient city and a city with premium decorations. If I regret anything, it's having spent money on them in the first place.

I don't know about jaelis, but I often find myself doing recurring quests. I like to complete more than 1 or 2 per day. In order to do so, I need to set something other that 24-hour productions. This means my city requires a lot of motivation to stay enthusiastic throughout the day. My 1x1 decos getting polished with aid actions was eating into that motivation, causing only half of my city to be motivated at any one time.

My quote shows that even Phantom thought it would be daft if a game developer put in a feature that would make players not want to buy stuff. So daft that he thought it wouldn't happen. But it has.

DeletedUser8152

True, I do use 24 hour houses, and don't run a ton of production buildings. I get through maybe 2-3 quests/day. I could see how optimizing that would take more MPing.

Czari

Thank you all for your thoughts and insights. It really boils down to how someone chooses to construct their city and/or play the game as jaelis mentioned.

@Glarg - Thank you for clarifying what you meant in your signature and I wholeheartedly agree!! I so often hear people telling new players to "get rid of all your 1x1's." Ok, I understand what the intentions is ie. don't have a bunch of trees and bushes (assuming they're not needed for happiness) to force Aid to m/p higher items but there is a big difference between a 1x1 tree and a 1x1 Phoenix from the last event. Not the best example, but the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

I've seen cities that I think are works of art. It's obvious to see the thought and planning that went into them. There are tree-lined boulevards and statues placed that enhances the building they are near, etc. They may not be the most "efficient" or goods-producing and/or GvG cities, but I love going to them in my m/p rounds. I enjoy the Random Rewards as well; I may just build a city to have fun with and decorate as I want with no thought at all of it "doing" anything except providing fun for me in building it.

DeletedUser11463

I also go back and forth with some of my buildings. Sand castles are one of those but the harder decisions are the haunted house or the Confectionary. If I get rid of those and the events come up, these buildings often offer a "better" version if you trade in your old one. If I trash it now, I don't get the option of a better one. Tree of Love is another. It's a balancing act that can be tough to make.

DeletedUser8152

I also go back and forth with some of my buildings. Sand castles are one of those but the harder decisions are the haunted house or the Confectionary. If I get rid of those and the events come up, these buildings often offer a "better" version if you trade in your old one. If I trash it now, I don't get the option of a better one. Tree of Love is another. It's a balancing act that can be tough to make.
Up to now it's been the graveyard that gets upgraded, not the haunted house. (Though who know what will happen this year!)