• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Used, really?!?

DeletedUser3

I was rummaging through a thrift shop the other day and found some used items I liked, but the prices were comparable to similar items I could purchase new. I then went to a "pre-owned" car dealer and did some comparison shopping, astounded to find I would have immediate savings of about $500, which are trumped by new-auto rebates.

What's with that?!? What's going on with used items that now you spend about the same amount for new items? Is it that our enslavement of other nation's populations are giving us such incredible savings at the register they overshadow the value of older products, or are we just dealing with greed from used item sellers?

On a similar note, what do you consider a bad used item purchase?

DeletedUser1091

Used item sellers are usually inefficient operations compared to the corporate efficiency of new product distribution. I doubt it is greed, it is more a matter of inefficient overhead. That price is the best they can do and still support the used retail facility. Do you experience the same phenomena when you shop on eBay or Craigslist?

DeletedUser

Antique Road Show, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, Auction Wars, etc., etc. have convinced the average owner that his less than average stuff is worth a mint. A few years ago, you could go to a garage sale and pick up some nice stuff for very little cash. Now everyone expects that their junk truly is treasure and that someone will surely pay the exorbitant price he's asking.

A bad used item purchase? Underwear comes to mind. :p

DeletedUser34

I think the advent of cable made vintage hunting less fun. I know it isn't cables fault, but now everyone thinks they own precious metals or something. Sadly, I find the mall funner than thrift stores now. The hunt there can be, in some cases, more challenging to perfect item and better bargains at this point. My shoe closet tells me to stay out of the dang mall. My daughter tells me to go more often :D

DeletedUser

Remember that prices are set by the seller. The value of something is set by the buyer. You can look on ebay and see the insane prices set on things that are used. Of course you can also see the time expire with 0 bids placed on it. For the most part people have seriously over priced things that are used. Like mentioned there are things like (pawn stars, Road show, Storage wars) that feed into it, but there is car dealers (trade in prices) ebay and other sites that snap people back to reality. The buyer just has to make it clear that it is him/her that sets the "value" if you expect the seller to adjust the "price".

DeletedUser1771

Then you have never seen women fighting over thongs at a rummage sale...and if you really want to save try church rummage sales...top brands for a $...our church's supports a homeless shelter...

Last edited by a moderator: