• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is the point?

BobOfAnchorage

I am curious: what motivates players to continue playing FOE? For myself, I wish there were some story line or characters who I want to help. As it is now, this is more like a job I go to every day (3 or 4 times a day), collecting, progressing, adding -- but it is getting tedious. I have only been playing for 6 months and am currently in the Progressive Era.

Dursland

Are you doing the PvP Arena Tower? Guild Battlegrounds? Guild vs Guild?

There's a lot in FoE to keep you busy but if you're not enjoying it then maybe it's not the game for you.

Personally what keeps me playing is setting goals then meeting them - certain attack boost levels, GB levels, moving up eras, and so on.

The Lady Redneck

Fun, friendship, A shared sense of pride in the guild I am in. Helping each other grow our cities. Fighting together. winning together, losing together. Sharing frustrations and venting about the faults the game brings us. Encouraging each other when RL throws us a curved ball. Celebrating when RL is good. (one guildmate just became a brand new grandpa for the first time) That'll do for starters.

Mailia

Personally I stay in the game for the people... I pick guilds off of how friendly the players are, take on 1-3 players in each world and help them progress until they're self-sufficient (and after, just usually less). If you're getting bored i'd suggest finding a low lvl player in your guild and helping them, trying out a few other guilds, or becoming more involved in GBG/GE/GvG/PvP.

xivarmy

I am curious: what motivates players to continue playing FOE? For myself, I wish there were some story line or characters who I want to help. As it is now, this is more like a job I go to every day (3 or 4 times a day), collecting, progressing, adding -- but it is getting tedious. I have only been playing for 6 months and am currently in the Progressive Era.
It's fun at first, your city progresses, you advance, you get stronger.

Eventually though, you probably get trapped by friends you don't want to leave behind. The social framework is what keeps much of the population around. So even though you find yourself struggling to look for goals that appeal to you, you remain. And probably work on whatever you *hope* you one day will be glad to have when they release more content that appeals to you ;)

Mor-Rioghain

All of the above and knowing that if I get 'bored' I can always put it down for a while and it's still there - waiting for me - when I want to hang out with my friends or do an event again. This type of game is not for everyone but I find it very satisfying to try and figure things out to 'beat the system' and my friends. :)

stymie of Suwannee

The game, in time, has grown, changed and adapted, much like my own game experience. As an unending game, your game can and will change several times over. Your cities era is as subjective as the points you’ve earned so far. My “new” city is almost 3 years now and merely Modern. And likes eating ill prepared Tomorrow players and running shoulder to shoulder with “the big kids” in GbG. With so much to consume too much available time, I’ll quote Fight Club, “You decide your level of involvement”.

Meat Butcher

Its a game of patience for sure, if you like fast action then this is not the game for you.
I have been playing since July 2013 and for me the below points are what keeps me motivated for this grind of a game.
  • I believe its the players you grow with, discuss the game with that creates a bond to continue pushing forward. I have a few friends on the game who I speak to regularly on the phone. Much easier to discuss strategy that way instead of waiting for messages.
  • The guild I am in has a really good infrastructure and is very competitive. Being surrounded by like minded players really help keep me going.
  • I do believe you have to have personal goals in the game to keep it interesting. The goals can be Global Points, GB Levels, or as simple as doing RQ's to bring up your goods up to a certain level. Anything to help keep you focused.
Its never always going to be Marshmallows and Rainbows on this game, there are many times you may not want to log in and when that happens its best to step away and regroup. I know I have been though it. For me once this game is more habit than fun, then its time to find a new game or just take a bit of a break.

Ironrooster

I have been playing about 2 1/2 years.

Currently my goals are to

Finish all the Ages/Eras in my first city - I have one last tech in SAJM. But there's probably a new one coming soon.

Finish all the Ages/Eras without fighting just negotiating (except of course the tutorial fight which I couldn't avoid or lose) - that city is currently in Oceanic Future.

Get my solo guild into the Diamond league at least once - currently in Platinum most of the time.

And I enjoy the event mini games

Debukis

I have been playing about 2 1/2 years.

Currently my goals are to

Finish all the Ages/Eras in my first city - I have one last tech in SAJM. But there's probably a new one coming soon.

Finish all the Ages/Eras without fighting just negotiating (except of course the tutorial fight which I couldn't avoid or lose) - that city is currently in Oceanic Future.

Get my solo guild into the Diamond league at least once - currently in Platinum most of the time.

And I enjoy the event mini games
Is there any side quest finishing all ages without fighting or just personal?