• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Why is there inconsistent army movement on battlefield?

• Thread starter DeletedUser23163
  • Start date

DeletedUser23163

This does not make much sense to me. Hoping someone can explain, because it seems very inconsistent.

Why can this guy only go forward 4, but can go sideways through a bush like 5 steps
foe_battle-zpUZNPTM.1441837106.jpg

Same thing here
foe_battle1-itKwl0Wt.1441837178.jpg

But this guy can go straight 5, through a bush, through another army guy...
foe_battle2-GfbFahVp.1441837231.jpg

I can go backward 5, but can only go forward 3 and in some directions 2.
foe_battle3-S5IlREdq.1441837260.jpg

Even worse here, I can move back 6 spaces, but I cannot get near the guy to fight.... When it comes time to fight, I can't get to the guys, I can get 1 space away. Yet they have no problems reaching me...
foe_battle4-scmKzyS5.1441837295.jpg

I really do not understand why the same guy cannot move a consistent amount of spaces. It does not seem to be a terrain issue as they can move further through other terrain than straight with nothing in the way. It really seems as if the AI on the continent map is rigged and not fair by any means. The opponent never seems to have issues moving and can always move much further than I can. Takes me 2-3+ moves to get to any of their guys, yet within 2 they usually can reach my guys even if I do not move.

Why can they not move a consistent amount of spaces is what I do not understand. If they have to go around things like water, bushes, etc it would make sense. But when they can go through that stuff, and through other guys on the map, it makes no sense.

DeletedUser23163

Yes I am aware but seems at times they can traverse worse terrain and are limited with nothing in the way. Not sure what happened to the pictures. I can put them on a server of mine. Taking terrain into consideration it still does not make sense. They can go thruogh bushes and stuff but not in a straight line with nothing in the way. Even going over rocks at itmes but not in a straight line. On the images that are not showing there might have been some little hills. Still it does not make sense like being able to move 5 in some directions and not even more than 2 in others.

DeletedUser17558

Different units have different constraints. Some can move further over the same terrain.

Many times the farthest you see is including terrain that you must move around. If you can move 6 spaces on even ground but only 2 on hilly terrain, then you have to make a decision on which is the shorter path to your goal. Sometimes the long way is faster depending on the unit.

DeletedUser10415

Hills have the same 4 movement cost as rocks. Swamp costs 6. Both are not as easy to see as rocks, trees, and bushes.

DeletedUser23163

Ok let me try again with the images so you can see. I get what your saying, but it still does not seem to add up. You can see in the 2nd to last the guy can only move back/down 2, but could go up forward 3-4, both through hills, rocks, etc.

This guy only go forward 4, but can go sideways through a bush like 5 steps
foe_battle.jpg

Same thing here
foe_battle1.jpg

But this guy can go straight 5, through a bush, through another army guy...
foe_battle2.jpg

I can go backward 5, but can only go forward 3 and in some directions 2.
foe_battle3.jpg

Even worse here, I can move back 6 spaces, but I cannot get near the guy to fight.... When it comes time to fight, I can't get to the guys, I can get 1 space away. Yet they have no problems reaching me...
foe_battle4.jpg

DeletedUser8152

This is all just terrain. In the 2nd to last, moving backwards you go through a plains, a forest, then 2 plains. That's 2+3+2+2=11 points, which matches the 11 move of the armored inf. Moving forward you have maybe a plains then 2 hills. That's 2+4+4=10, and the 1 move left doesn't get you anywhere.

DeletedUser10517

Each man has a maximum amount he can move.

So for example, the Armoured Infantry can move 11.

The hexes all have different movement costs. You can see these costs by hovering over the hexes with your mouse.

So for example, if all the hexes are Plains.....which cost 2 movements, the Armoured Infantry will be able to move 5 hexes.
Thats 5 Plains at 2 movements each = 10 The other 1 is lost because there are no 1 movement hexes.

On other parts of the terrain, he might be next to hills and swamps.
Surrounded by hills at 4 movements each, he will only be able to move 2 hexes. (2x4 =8)

DeletedUser10415

"Even worse here, I can move back 6 spaces, but I cannot get near the guy to fight.... When it comes time to fight, I can't get to the guys, I can get 1 space away. Yet they have no problems reaching me..."

Mercenaries have a better movement rate than armored infantry do, so they can move further per turn. The enemy armored infantry unit there is the trees couldn't reach your armored infantry unit either. This was a bad map for you for two reason. 1) because of all the hills which slow your armored infantry down. They also get no defensive bonus on hills, and there was little cover on your side of the map for your mercenaries. 2) Which is actually the primary reason, those catapults are gonna tear you up, especially since you have so much rough terrain to get across to engage the enemy.