• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Dragon Drone vs. Rail gun

Dragon Drone says it has "Flying" meaning it can't be attacked by artillery units. In PvP arena, I sent 8 dragon drones against 8 rail guns and lost four dragon drones in the battle. I faced the same army a second time, did the same thing and lost three dragon drones. How can I be losing ANY of them if they can't be attacked?

xivarmy

Railgun has Powershot ability, which ignores all defender statuses - including Flying. That means it can hit through Stealth and Reactive Armor too.

Venus Power Dragons have it as well.
Interestingly it does not ignore Force Field however! (which was added after powershot - initially only on AF+ units but retroactively added to the hover tank instead of Reactive Armor making them the unquestioned king of the FE hill)

KingJMobile

Dragon Drone says it has "Flying" meaning it can't be attacked by artillery units. In PvP arena, I sent 8 dragon drones against 8 rail guns and lost four dragon drones in the battle. I faced the same army a second time, did the same thing and lost three dragon drones. How can I be losing ANY of them if they can't be attacked?
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 15.17.24.pngFrom the wiki, which I edited after some testing. I wish the Rail Gun didn't have the Recharge Ability. It's such a great unit to use otherwise.

Johnny B. Goode

View attachment 21499From the wiki, which I edited after some testing. I wish the Rail Gun didn't have the Recharge Ability. It's such a great unit to use otherwise.
It did not originally have Recharge. This was one case where Inno actually adjusted an item after it was already in the game when they realized it was too powerful. So they added the Recharge feature to it so it could only fire every other turn.

xivarmy

It did not originally have Recharge. This was one case where Inno actually adjusted an item after it was already in the game when they realized it was too powerful. So they added the Recharge feature to it so it could only fire every other turn.
I'm relatively certain recharge was there from the start. The later adjustments to rail gun were to lower its stats - it used to be a beefcake to make up for firing every 2nd turn. Then they lowered that a bit. Because in a world where boost wasn't out of control having a very durable unit that hit like a truck but missed a turn was still really good and they were trying to escape people only using railguns.

Then they buffed the hover tank's stats when they took away its reactive armor (which railgun ignored) in favor of forcefield (which railgun does not ignore). And now railgun could really use its old "overpowered stats because it only fires every 2nd turn" back. But by that point they were just trying to stop hover tanks from being the goto in later ages.

Edit:

Where the railgun got changed: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/changelog-1-90.15464/ (because people were sticking with rail guns and weren't using AF units)
Where the hover tank got changed: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/changelog-1-130.23442/ (because people were sticking with hover tanks and weren't using OF and soon VF units and reactive armor was "too good" by not allowing the hover tank to be overwhelmed by stats)

Last edited:
Where the railgun got changed: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/changelog-1-90.15464/ (because people were sticking with rail guns and weren't using AF units)
Where the hover tank got changed: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/changelog-1-130.23442/ (because people were sticking with hover tanks and weren't using OF and soon VF units and reactive armor was "too good" by not allowing the hover tank to be overwhelmed by stats)
Strange. If the devs were concerned that people weren't using AF units, then why didn't they fix the real problem (that AF units are crap) instead of just tweaking a small facet of the problem (nerfing a couple of FE units that are better)? Every single AF unit is inferior to its FE counterpart, it seems, and of course to its OF counterparts. If the campsite trash is attracting bears, why not get rid of the trash instead of trying to shoot random individual bears?

xivarmy

Strange. If the devs were concerned that people weren't using AF units, then why didn't they fix the real problem (that AF units are crap) instead of just tweaking a small facet of the problem (nerfing a couple of FE units that are better)? Every single AF unit is inferior to its FE counterpart, it seems, and of course to its OF counterparts. If the campsite trash is attracting bears, why not get rid of the trash instead of trying to shoot random individual bears?
They did at the time of the railgun nerf. As bad as you think they are now, they were worse ;)

Johnny B. Goode

They failed. In my OF city, I am still using hovers against opponents up to SAM, depending of course on their boosts. The hovers can still take out most PVP Arena SAM armies up to around 500/500 boosts.
(I am at 1841/1331 red boosts. Not terribly high for OF, I know, but I don't do GBG so it doesn't matter as much to me. As I noted in another thread, I recently deleted some GBs in favor of event buildings, which shifted some of my boosts from red to blue.)