• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Great Buildings Reference Guide

PJS299

To start off, I am not even sure if this is a guide. I was inspired to do something like this by this thread:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/great-building-locations.25971/
I don't have a fancy header, or text or images. All I have is Google, FoE, and my computer. And my hands, arms, eyes, brain, nose, veins, fingers, nervous system, power, and plenty of other things. But that doesn't matter.

Over the years, I have found myself becoming more and more interested in this topic. Great Buildings are such a big part of the game, so where did they come from? I am sure that plenty of other people out there think about that same thing. I decided I would step up and take the time to make a Great Buildings Reference Guide.

This guide will include (almost) everything you need to know about any Great Building. I will not be putting things like, “BUILD THIS ONE,” but I might put in my opinion occasionally. This guide will include things shown on the Great Building page, like the boosts and things. I will not be putting in the levels and what it produces at each level.

Hopefully people find this guide helpful. And as many creators out there know, this will be a work in progress. I will not be able to put everything down at once. I will also be editing a lot, and will post updates. Thanks, and, um, Forge On! (I feel like I copied that from someone…)

**I also give credit to the FoE Wiki page for some of this information

Edit 6/20/23: I just found out that UberHelp1 has a GB guide also. I am not copying him, I just found his guide, and you should look at it. https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/beginners-guide-v1-01.40972/post-347979 I'M NOT COPYING YOU!!!

Last edited:

PJS299

No Age Great Buildings
Observatory
"Originally built to look at celestial events, the towering Observatory gathers knowledge that proves to be unrivaled in its value for alliances. Aside from watching the stars and the sky, monitoring terrestrial events helps to detect new resources and to gain an edge over the competitors."

Although there is no exact match for the FoE Observatory, there are many observatories on Earth. Nobody is sure where the first one originated from, but people speculate that it is from Greece, or the Middle East.
In GameReal Life
X_SS_AllAge_EasterBonus4-3078284f1.png
TMT International Observatory
StreetSizeConstruction CostsBoosts
1x13x310 of each Bronze Age goodProduces goods for your guild, and adds to your guild's support pool
Temple of Relics
"The Temple of Relics is based on ancient wisdom gathered during your Guild Expeditions. It holds knowledge of rare Relics that you might discover while exploring the Expedition Map."
Same thing with the Observatory, the Temple of Relics is a unique building, that although there are many buildings like it in the world, none are the same, but they can look similar. This was most likely modeled off of the Mayan temples in modern day Mexico.
In GameWhat it was probably modeled off of
X_SS_AllAge_Expedition-8b7ea15bf.png
Mayan Ruins in Mexico, Yucatan and Quintana Roo
StreetSizeConstruction CostsBoosts
1x16x670 Cloth, 50 Ebony, 60 Jewelry,40 Iron, 80 LimestoneRelic Hunt, a relic may appear on the GE map that gives you rewards
Oracle of Delphi
"The Oracle of Delphi spoke for, and received words from, the god Apollo. The Ancient Greeks and foreign enquirers would ask her questions in order to gain insight into their own futures."
The Oracle of Delphi comes from Greece, and one of the many customs of what is now, "Greek Mythology." This Great Building was modeled off of the remains of the original building. You can see incense and offerings at the bottom, which completes the look.
In GameThe Remains of What Was
X_SS_AllAge_Oracle-7f028abe5.png
The Oracle Of Delphi: A Detailed Guide For Visitors - TripAnthropologist
StreetSizeBuilding CostsBoosts
1x13x3Nothing!Produces supplies and happiness

Last edited:

PJS299

Bronze Age Great Buildings
Statue of Zeus
"The Statue of Zeus at Olympia was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Its magnificence inspired generations of Greek Soldiers."
The Statue of Zeus. What a wonderful GB. This is an awesome building because of the low cost to level, and the small footprint, but the high boosts it gives. This GB was destroyed in real life at some point c. 5th century AD. Renditions have been built, but they are not the same thing. This also comes from Greece. This GB is considered to be a part of the "Trinity." The three low age GBs that provide atk+def.

In GameRemake of the original statue
X_SS_BronzeAge_Landmark2-3dccefb1d.png
Massive Golden Statue of Zeus Comes Back to Life
1x12x340 Marble, 50 Lumber, 40 Dye, 10 Stone, 10 WineYour attacking army's atk+def boosts are increased with each level
Tower of Babel
"The legendary Tower of Babel was supposed to be the ultimate masterpiece in ancient architecture. Had it really existed, it would have drawn in people from all corners of the earth."
This GB has a great historical significance. The Bible said that in the city of Babylon, people tried to build a tower that goes to heaven, but like usual, God struck them down and made everyone speak a different language and the tower stopped being built. This GB is from Iraq, and has gone through multiple In Game remodels.
In Game - 1st is original design - 2nd is newer designReal Life, or, what the In Game was modeled after
Tower of Babel image - New Buildings mod for rise of nations for Rise of  Nations: Thrones and Patriots - Mod DB

X_SS_BronzeAge_Landmark1-8c05e42c6.png
Is social media a modern-day Tower of Babel? | Learn Liberty
1x14x420 Marble, 10 Lumber, 20 Dye, 50 Stone, 50 WineProduces some amount of random goods - ME+ produces unrefined goods. Also provides population.

Last edited:

PJS299

Iron Age Great Buildings
Lighthouse of Alexandria
"For centuries, the Lighthouse of Alexandria was the tallest man-made structure on Earth. Its guiding light would safely steer travelers from around the world into the port of Alexandria."

This GB is very useful. The top player in my world has this GB, along with countless others across the FoE universe. The LoA is useful in low ages and high ages, and even in the first couple of levels it still provides powerful boosts. This Great Building is long gone - collapsed in 1323 - but it is one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. It was located in Alexandria, Egypt, and the town is actually still around.

In GamePainting of what people think it looked like
X_SS_IronAge_Landmark2-ff6fe43b5.png
Lighthouse At Alexandria | Alexandria Lighthouse | DK Find Out
1x14x470 Cloth, 60 Ebony, 80 Jewelry, 50 Iron, 40 LimestoneProduces random goods in 24 hours - ME+ produces unrefined goods. The first 40 supply collections are boosted by a percentage.
Colosseum
"The Colosseum was the diamond in the crown of cities that was Rome. It featured many venues of entertainment, but first and foremost was known for its bloody gladiatorial combats."

Phew! Try saying "bloody gladiatorial combat" 5 times fast. I can't even say it one time fast! Jokes aside, this GB, like the ToB, also has a great historical significance. Rome was a fast advancing city, with many people. They didn't have televisions or phones, so they had to provide live entertainment. And what's better than watching people kill each other in a bloody gladiatorial combat? (Is that grammatically correct?) This GB is still standing today, in Rome, Italy. It gets a lot of visitors, and is pretty cool in person, but in the game, not so much. I know I said I wouldn't put my opinion, but DON'T BUILD THIS NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU NEED MEDALS!!! 185 medals a day at level 80? IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!
In GameReal Life

X_SS_IronAge_Landmark1-66dfd5eb3.png
The Roman Colosseum: Facts about the gladiatorial arena | Live Science
1x16x7 it's really big for what it produces...50 Cloth, 60 Ebony, 40 Jewelry, 70 Iron, 80 Limestone save your goods for something betterGives a *amount of medals a day

*very very very very small

Here's some more feedback on the colo! https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/question-about-the-gb.34947/post-313098 keep scrolling down!

Last edited:

PJS299

Early Middle Ages Great Buildings
Hagia Sophia
"One of the oldest and greatest churches in the world, the Hagia Sophia was dedicated to the wisdom of God. It was the pride of all empires that held it."

This is the first GB on this list that produces FP. Despite it producing the most important resource in the game, it is very ugly. Don't worry, though. If you visit it in real life, you will probably be in awe. It's tall minarets, and beautiful dome will make your jaw drop. o_O It also hasn't been destroyed in real life, which is definitely a plus. It was held by multiple empires, and obviously they liked it too, because it's still there.

In GameReal Life
1690919240096.png
_113170402_gettyimages-1217826182.jpg
1x17x6120 Copper, 120 Gold, 40 Granite, 80 Honey, 140 AlabasterProduces a level dependent amount of FP every 24 hours and provides happiness
Cathedral of Aachen
"The Cathedral of Aachen, also called the Imperial Cathedral, was commissioned by Charlemagne and marked Aachen as the center of his empire."

Being the second GB in the attack trinity, you will see this in many players cities. This GB is very powerful, providing great boosts at low and high levels. The Cathedral of Aachen (Or in German: Aachener Dom) is one of 1157 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This Cathedral, located in Germany, supported, and still supports, the religious needs of many people. This GB was very powerful and important in real life, too.
In GameReal Life
X_SS_EarlyMiddleAge_Landmark2-47d761d02.png
The Roman Colosseum: Facts about the gladiatorial arena | Live Science
1x14x680 Copper, 80 Gold, 160 Granite, 120 Honey, and 60 AlabasterGives coins every 24 hours and gives Attack for Attacking army. (Red attack)
Galata Tower
"This medieval stone tower was utilized for surveillance of the harbor in the Golden Horn, Istanbul. After the conquest of Constantinople in 1453, the tower was used to detect fires in the city."
Istanbul, Türkiye has many great things. Bazaars, Hagia Sophia, the fact that it's split between two continents... It also has the Galata Tower. This building served a great purpose back in the medieval times of this city. The Galata Tower is a tourist attraction, with a price of 350 Liras, which is equivalent to about 13 USD. But it offers beautiful views, and many people recommend. When the Ottoman Empire took over, many things changed, but this tower has stayed the same for hundreds of years.
In Game:Real Life:
X_SS_EarlyMiddleAge_Landmark3-8a95b9871.png
images
1x13x3100 Copper, 100 Gold, 100 Honey, 120 Alabaster, 80 GraniteProduces an amount of random goods every 24 hours - after ME produces twice as many unrefined goods
Gives a chance at rejecting a certain amount of plunder attempts on your city

Last edited:

PJS299

High Middle Ages Great Buildings
Notre Dame
"The Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris was a pinnacle of architecture with no equals in Western Europe. Its grandeur and perfection inspired all craftsmen who looked upon it."
Notre Dame (Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris), located in Paris, France, is a Catholic Cathedral. Just like the Cathedral of Aachen, it served the needs of many religious folk for hundreds of years, and still does! This beautiful cathedral still holds daily Mass, and many people attend. This UNESCO World Heritage Sight is seen in many movies, and is an icon on the Paris skyline.

X_SS_HighMiddleAge_Landmark3-313651a8d.png
france-paris-notre-dame-cathedral.jpg
1x14x6220 Brick, 100 Glass, 180 Ropes, 110 Salt, 140 Dried HerbsProduces a number of supplies in 24 hours and produces happiness
St. Mark's Basilica
Built by Merchants of the Venetian Republic, St. Mark's Basilica reflected the wealth and power of the Venetian traders. Over the centuries more and more extensions and decorations were added, most brought to Venice from far away places.

1701832991053.png
Venice, Italy Rooftops: Postcards from The Edge
1x16x680 Brick, 200 Glass, 120 Ropes, 190 Salt, 160 Dried HerbsProduces a number of random goods from your current age - First amount of coin collections are boosted by a percentage

Last edited: