• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Refining the "Aid" Algorithm

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemur

What do you mean by "very few"?

I mean it as a percentage of the total. Based on my three years of observation (since the "Aid" algorithm was introduced), I think a conservative estimate would be that less than 5 percent of all villages have more than a handful of small decorations. It might be closer to 1 percent.

I see an absurd amount of towns with "excess" decos.

Five percent of the player base is still hundreds of villages. These are the players I mentioned earlier — who suffer the consequences and wish that InnoGames would stop penalizing their legitimate playing style for no good reason.

DeletedUser

Yes, your criticism was a straw man — because you claimed that I was advocating for "no drawbacks" at all,
No, I did not. Your reading comprehension skills need work.
What you characterize as a "drawback" was actually a deal killer for the overwhelming majority of players.
Ooh, pink letters. You must be right. LOL. Very few players would characterize it as a deal killer. Yes, we crafted our playing style in light of the realities of the game, but to most of us it doesn't even rise to the level of a "drawback". I don't even consider it a minor annoyance. If all I wanted to do was build a pretty city, this isn't the game I would choose. Just because you fell for their marketing doesn't mean the game needs to be changed for you.
In my last comment, I asked whether you disagreed with the premise that the diversity of ways that Forge of Empires can be played has long been one of its great strengths. I'll take this latest comment by you as a reply of "yes" to that question. You oppose eliminating barriers to a specific playing style — even if that leads InnoGames to contradict its own marketing. You're entitled to your opinion.
Am I really? You mean you're going to stop putting words in my mouth? Yes, it is a positive for FoE that you can play many different styles. But the game is designed a certain way, and every playing style therefore has built in benefits and drawbacks. You choose your playing style, and you live with the consequences of that decision. Except for you and others that come here making proposals to change the game solely to benefit your particular playing style. My opinion is that you should reconcile yourself with the realities of the gaming world.
Well, that's really obtuse. Look around. Very few villages have more than a handful of small decorations. We can't have much of a discussion if you won't acknowledge obvious facts.
Au contraire. As @Salsuero stated, there are plenty of cities with numerous 1x1 decos all over the place.
Five percent of the player base is still hundreds of villages. These are the players I mentioned earlier — who suffer the consequences and wish that InnoGames would stop penalizing their legitimate playing style for no good reason.
In reality, most of them aren't even aware enough to know that there is an aid algorithm. And in all probability they have no feeling of being "penalized". Only chronic victims feel they are being penalized when their playing style isn't the most efficient one.

Salsuero

stop penalizing their legitimate playing style for no good reason

While I would like to use more decos in my town, we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I see this as not a penalty, but as a consequence of play style. The decos provide cheap and easy happiness. As a consequence, you get them polished (and the reward is double the happiness, so "consequence" is sort of wrong too in that it usually holds a negative connotation). The alternative is to play a more challenging way and find methods of gaining happiness that don't involve polishing stealing motivation. I just don't agree that this is a negative in the game. It's just a game mechanic that exists. Using cheap decos as a visual component has a drawback. It's not a penalty in my opinion, it drives a challenge to overcome or an acceptance of the "consequence". It's 100% perception-driven.

Freshmeboy

Valid points all....what the real bummer is that these decos need research on the tech tree and are deemed by INNO to be valuable prizes in events yet I never use them because they are inefficient for my city. It may well be that the formula for happiness using cultural buildings and decos was an important part of the original vision by INNO but was eclipsed by the happy GBs....Perhaps a change is in order to bring these back into play. Whether that be a two sided aid button with m-left and p-right under every players avatar or a change to the algorithm itself as Lemur suggested may be the key...I'm still open on this proposal and want to hear more feedback....

DeletedUser31882

Again, your wording is wrong. It doesn't damage the game. And it doesn't penalize you, you penalize yourself by choosing a playing style that you know is not going to be optimal with the current game mechanics. Which brings me back to the point about proposals that are not about improving the game, but instead about eliminating drawbacks to specific styles of play. If every proposal of that sort were implemented, this wouldn't be a game anymore, it would be a bunch of people essentially twiddling their thumbs on the internet.

To be fair, I'd argue all timer based games are people twiddling their thumbs on the internet... The optimal play style is to play multiple timer games or do dishes in the 'twiddle' phase. :p

On topic: I am leaning towards Lemur's side of the argument.

From my understanding, the aid button was implemented as a Quality of Life improvement for players who wanted more thumb-twiddle time instead of mindless thumb mashing. The intent for the change was to not affect play styles, but assist players save time with their long friend/guild/hood lists. Before the change, players used their judgement to polish/motivate and there was no 'priority' script. Once Aid was implemented and the algorithm understood, play styles/strategies emerged. This is the critical part for me because:

The nearly universal response of players to this penalty has been to purge their villages of small decorations.

There was no 'penalty' to decos before the change. There was no 'optimal' strategy of avoiding decos before the change. The Aid Button change CREATED these 'play styles' and 'strategies' we are talking about. Since the Aid button was implemented as a QoL change, and not a strategic balance change like PvP tech unlock or Hood balancing, I see any arguments on the play style & strategic vein as missing the bigger picture of game design or advocating for personal play style. Or both. Or something. Or Oars are boring boars. *reboots brain*

Seeing how and why the current play styles emerged is important. I do not think the Aid button's intent was to create decoration avoidance behavior. I do not believe decorations are meant to be a indication of 'not optimal' city design. Only armed with the knowledge of how 'optimal' play is under the aid button do we judge city's as not optimal for having 1+ tree decorations. That aid could have been used on a hut! Optimal! 'Optimal' is a play style, if you advocate for 'no change' to the 'optimal', you are advocating for a play style. This is why I get a faceplam/sigh/headache when our arguments drift into play style discussions.

We all advocate play style, which is fine, but we should recognize it when we do. The more important thing is, who is being harmed with this proposed change? What play style would suffer? I have not seen an objection argument that addresses who is harmed. I have seen a lot of people advocating that decorations are a 'bad' play style that people can 'choose' to do. Why are decorations not a viable strategic choice for happiness again? Because of unintended consequences of a QoL feature that was introduced.

If Inno has stated the Aid Button was intended to be a strategic balancing nerf to decorations, then I ask for a link to the proof! Please and Thank you!

You choose your playing style, and you live with the consequences of that decision. Except for you and others that come here making proposals to change the game solely to benefit your particular playing style. My opinion is that you should reconcile yourself with the realities of the gaming world.

I agree with everything you say, except for a small twist. My opinion is that the realities of the gaming world is design outcomes and design intents. Hopefully I've explained above that the reality does not match the intent, which is why I support a change in this specific area.

Ideally, I would prefer @Algona 's Theme Park idea I came across earlier this week. Someday I'll see if any proposals have addressed it, or steal his idea and make one myself. That way Warehouse managers & Sim city builders can have their cakes and throw it in each other's faces! Or something.

I see this as not a penalty, but as a consequence of play style. The decos provide cheap and easy happiness. As a consequence, you get them polished (and the reward is double the happiness, so "consequence" is sort of wrong too in that it usually holds a negative connotation). The alternative is to play a more challenging way and find methods of gaining happiness that don't involve polishing stealing motivation. I just don't agree that this is a negative in the game. It's just a game mechanic that exists. Using cheap decos as a visual component has a drawback. It's not a penalty in my opinion, it drives a challenge to overcome or an acceptance of the "consequence". It's 100% perception-driven.

The problem is 'cheap & easy' is no longer true once you consider the 'consequences'. There is no challenge, because there is the 'optimal way' and the 'obviously not best use of space and mo/po' way. That's not a strategy or challenge, just a push to use a specific play style for success. Analogy: You can choose to use the 'cheap & easy' spear fighters for EMA c-map fights, but the consequence is you must have absurdly high level ATK GBs. Sure, you can 'choose' this play style, but the design intent is clearly not meant for a player to use spear fighters, but to use Iron Age or EMA units. This is the problem with decorations. There is a clear 'best use' for them because of the way Aid works. I don't think the Aid Button was meant to make decorations the spear fighter of happiness.

what the real bummer is that these decos need research on the tech tree and are deemed by INNO to be valuable prizes in events yet I never use them because they are inefficient for my city.

Yar. The question is, what city ARE decos efficient in? If the answer is 'just people who like them or choose to play in a non-optimal fun way', then I see that as a problem in game design, not of player choice & consequence.

Salsuero

The problem is 'cheap & easy' is no longer true once you consider the 'consequences'. There is no challenge, because there is the 'optimal way' and the 'obviously not best use of space and mo/po' way. That's not a strategy or challenge, just a push to use a specific play style for success.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, but I have found a way to have decos in my town and not suffer from lack of aid. I'm not in agreement 100% with the thinking by some that it's a binary decision: have decos or do not have decos. I simply think the game evolved into something that requires more balance to that equation, which in my opinion requires a "strategy" of sorts. I've found a balance and I could probably fit in another half dozen or so decos without breaking a sweat. I have more aid than I need... and that's a function of me being diligent with my friends list, and that I aid my neighbors enough that some of them like to aid me back. Can anyone do this? Yes, but I'm not sure everyone wants to or knows how to do so.

The more important thing is, who is being harmed with this proposed change? What play style would suffer? I have not seen an objection argument that addresses who is harmed.

Could there be a better algorithm? Tricky question in my opinion, because I know there are people who "beg" for polishing because they need the happiness. So... maybe an algorithm "fix" might hurt their play style. Is that fair? I'm not sure that it is.

I have my opinion and it's not an override of other people's opinions. I just don't see this the same way as some of you.

Last edited:

Freshmeboy

The more I think about this the more I believe the decos were a sacrifice on the part of INNO when they introduced happy GBs and the ability to level them past 10. These GBs negate the cultural buildings as well and these were part of the original tech plan when the game started. Happy Gbs allowed more room for production and efficiency and now decos and CBs have bit the dust in favor of efficient cities... I think Lemur's proposal has some legs to allow these little pieces of art a place in our cities-use them, don't use them but at least you would have a choice to make them viable again...

lemur

The more I think about this the more I believe the decos were a sacrifice on the part of INNO when they introduced happy GBs and the ability to level them past 10.

But InnoGames continues to promote the use of small decorations by using them in their marketing images and by giving them to players as prizes and special gifts. Why? Because they make the game look good. Design and looks are still important to InnoGames. That's also why InnoGames has such a talented staff of artists.

So there is a glaring contradiction between valuing design while punishing the use of decorations. I doubt there was any intentional sacrifice. I agree with how Titris summarized the situation. The penalty for using small decorations was an ...
unintended consequence of a QoL feature that was introduced.

My proposal is designed to fix the contradiction without affecting players who like the "Aid" algorithm the way it is.

The more important thing is, who is being harmed with this proposed change? What play style would suffer? I have not seen an objection argument that addresses who is harmed.

Neither have I. . :)

Salsuero

LOL -- is it me or did @lemur spam his friends list to come create forum accounts so they could vote yes to his proposal? Just strange that it's all new members today voting yes all of a sudden. ;)

DeletedUser32722

LOL -- is it me or did @lemur spam his friends list to come create forum accounts so they could vote yes to his proposal? Just strange that it's all new members today voting yes all of a sudden. ;)

Would it be absurd for Lemur to bring this proposal to his friends' attention? Worst case scenario, a few more gamers have joined the forum and may contribute to other threads down the road.

I think this is a great idea. There's not enough time in the day to visit every city and find the right item to motivate or polish. Allowing my friends and neighbors to choose the likelyhood of being motivated or polished benefits them as much as it benefits me. It's a two way street, and I don't see the draw back. If the player doesn't want to change anything, they can leave the settings at 50/50, the way it already is. I don't think it's such a programming nightmare.

And yes, I've torn down all my decorations so that shrubs and piles of rubble don't get polished. I'd rather have my stuff motivated, and would welcome the option that Lemur has proposed.

DeletedUser

Would it be absurd for Lemur to bring this proposal to his friends' attention? Worst case scenario, a few more gamers have joined the forum and may contribute to other threads down the road.

I think this is a great idea. There's not enough time in the day to visit every city and find the right item to motivate or polish. Allowing my friends and neighbors to choose the likelyhood of being motivated or polished benefits them as much as it benefits me. It's a two way street, and I don't see the draw back. If the player doesn't want to change anything, they can leave the settings at 50/50, the way it already is. I don't think it's such a programming nightmare.

And yes, I've torn down all my decorations so that shrubs and piles of rubble don't get polished. I'd rather have my stuff motivated, and would welcome the option that Lemur has proposed.
@Salsuero , looks like you nailed it! LOL

Salsuero

Nope, not absurd at all. I didn't say that though. So......

I don't think it's such a programming nightmare.

I mean... I have to ask... due diligence and all... but are you a computer programmer? How much experience in Flash/HTML5 game programming do you have? I'm really genuinely curious if this statement is fact-based or opinion. I've done quite a bit of programming in my day, but I'm not experienced with online game platforms.

Well, that was your choice to do. Some of us have learned to balance our decos/cultural buildings and maintain an efficient aid support base while having a visually-appealing town. Would it be easier if the proposal went live? Sure. But I'm not really a big fan of making things easier if they don't have to be. I'm leaning more towards a no than I was just because I don't think this is where I want the developers to spend their limited time as I don't think it's at all necessary to be successful. But I am totally fine with everyone else voting yes and the proposal being implemented if that's what the majority wants.

Last edited:

DeletedUser32722

Nope, not absurd at all. I didn't say that though. So......

So then what was the point of your question?

I mean... I have to ask... due diligence and all... but are you a computer programmer? How much experience in Flash/HTML5 game programming do you have? I'm really genuinely curious if this statement is fact-based or opinion. I've done quite a bit of programming in my day, but I'm not experienced with online game platforms.

It's purely opinion, I'm not a programmer. I know plenty of programmers, so I could ask one, but I fear it would lead to a long boring conversation that I don't care to have. Whether it's too difficult or not is up to Inno to decide, not us. Lemur made a good proposal in my opinion, and if it's something that Inno Games can/will do, then I'm in favor of it.

Well, that was your choice to do. Some of us have learned to balance our decos/cultural buildings and maintain an efficient aid support base while having a visually-appealing town. Would it be easier if the proposal went live? Sure. But I'm not really a big fan of making things easier if they don't have to be. I'm leaning more towards a no than I was just because I don't think this is where I want the developers to spend their limited time as I don't think it's at all necessary to be successful. But I am totally fine with everyone else voting yes and the proposal being implemented if that's what the majority wants.

That's fine. I'd rather polish or motivate what my friends and neighbors want polished/motivated, and have the favor returned. My opinion is that it takes too long to visit 100+ friends, 60+ neighbors and the whole guild every day and decide what to polish/motivate. I aid each one of them each day, visit their taverns, etc.

I think this thread should focus on whether on not it's a good proposal rather than whether Inno Games wants to implement it, how hard it would be to implement, what programming language they would have to use, etc.

Freshmeboy

Spent some time viewing many cities in my guild and hood/friends list and it is apparent to me that decos and CBs are not being used by the majority of mid level players. The few I saw were the new nutcracker and some CBs which may or may not be used for the actual happy factor considering the happy GBs in place. Seems only low level players actually need them and confirms my thoughts that they are now obsolete due to game evolution yet we still need to do the research and accept them as valuable prizes in DCs , GE and events. Lemur's proposal would actually make them viable again and, perhaps, make them a worthwhile prize...I see no harm or abuse by this idea. Can anybody find abuse with this change..?

Salsuero

I think this thread should focus on whether on not it's a good proposal rather than whether Inno Games wants to implement it, how hard it would be to implement, what programming language they would have to use, etc.

That's fine. I believe it is also important to weigh the value of a proposal against developer resources and more important agenda items, especially if I don't see the proposal as "necessary" -- but you don't have to share in that opinion. To me, things that make the game easier, when easier isn't necessary, just water down the enjoyment of the challenge and homogenize the player base. I like that I've found a way to have decos and cultural buildings, but not suffer by people clicking the aid button. I think it's a success of mine. I would not vote no to this proposal just for the sake of voting no, but regardless of developer time constraints, I just don't like the idea of making the game "unnecessarily" easier. I don't believe that is lemur's intent. I believe he wants to have decos for the pretty factor. But, his proposal would have the side effect of making the game easier in a way that he doesn't intend. That is why I am arguing my points. I hope it makes sense that I am not interested in having the developers "waste their time" (in my opinion) on a barely-needed feature. I'm sorry if this sounds selfish, but honestly... I could argue that the proposal is a bit selfish, could I not?

DeletedUser32760

I think the proposal has merit and should be reviewed and considered by the developers. The overall impact to the players that would like to use and keep the decorations is worthy of at least reviewing and doing a high level effort analysis. Then a comparison of the programming high level effort to the effort by the designers to create the decorations should be completed to help understand the time & money investment differences that occur.

Freshmeboy

That's actually a very valid point...why sink money into an art department and brainstorm about new decos when they don't get put into use...? I still can't think of any abuse that would come of this proposal...It seems to benefit the entire gaming community, and would require INNO to sink some more money in their game to protect an artistic investment already made..I vote YES

Status
Not open for further replies.