• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Being a Mercenary in GvG

• Thread starter DeletedUser31308
  • Start date

DeletedUser31308

I have discussed a little bit about this with people in game, but I have very little information in total regarding the practice of being a Mercenary for GvG. Is anyone on these forums educated on that playstyle? Or perhaps personally experienced with it? I'd just like to learn everything I can about it. For example:

How much would your services cost?

Are you costing per tile? Per DA on each tile?

Are you planning on being in a splinter guild or join the guild that hires you for the battles?

How old is the world you're on i.e. how developed are the GvG maps? Did that play into your considerations for pricing?

What kind of demand are we looking at for this service?

Is there an accepted standard for what a mercenary must have to succeed? Levels of Att GBs, Att/Def %s, Arc levels?

Is there a "best" Age to be in to be a Mercenary? If so, which? and why?

@Algona

Algona

Thanks for starting this thread, ThruTHEhead. I mentioned this in another thread as something I was going to do once I got in position to do it, I've been kicking it around my head for a year or so. It;s one of the reasons I started my second city.

I plan to start out as a FreeLancer (anyone here play that game from the dawn of the century? Awesome fun. Almost as good as WC Privateer) both of which are inspirations for my thinking about this. A jack of all trades wandering from Guild to Guild wherever someone wanted to hire me for GvG, GE, HoFs, Goods, BPs, what have you. Break the hearts of some women, do some trading and fighting wander on my merry way.

I don't think I've seen anyone talk about this on the forum ever. I think it could be fun, and experimenting is what my second coty is for.

How about a mercenary Guild? Rent out troops to other Guilds? Wouldn't it have to be named The Dorsai?

Both ideas need work and could lead to more ideas. I think it could be a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to this discussion.

DeletedUser25166

You would need a high level Traz.
You mentioned CE. Either that or FE would work best.
For CE, at least 3 AAV barracks, and 8 strike teams. Use strike for sieges, AAV/rogues to fight,
Don’t worry about DA’s, your goal is havoc. If DA’s, drop 2 strike teams for 2 tank barracks.
I think this idea you have is interesting

DeletedUser31308

You would need a high level Traz.
You mentioned CE. Either that or FE would work best.
For CE, at least 3 AAV barracks, and 8 strike teams. Use strike for sieges, AAV/rogues to fight,
Don’t worry about DA’s, your goal is havoc. If DA’s, drop 2 strike teams for 2 tank barracks.
I think this idea you have is interesting
What I don't understand is why being in FE would prohibit you from fighting in CE in any way? I understand the AAVs are incredibly strong, especially on offense paired with rogues, but you can set up your city to fight in CE even while in FE. I definitely agree a high level Traz will be important, as well as high enough Att GBs to fight on the top maps without slaughtering your own troops against the base bonuses.

DeletedUser31308

Thanks for starting this thread, ThruTHEhead. I mentioned this in another thread as something I was going to do once I got in position to do it, I've been kicking it around my head for a year or so. It;s one of the reasons I started my second city.

I plan to start out as a FreeLancer (anyone here play that game from the dawn of the century? Awesome fun. Almost as good as WC Privateer) both of which are inspirations for my thinking about this. A jack of all trades wandering from Guild to Guild wherever someone wanted to hire me for GvG, GE, HoFs, Goods, BPs, what have you. Break the hearts of some women, do some trading and fighting wander on my merry way.

I don't think I've seen anyone talk about this on the forum ever. I think it could be fun, and experimenting is what my second coty is for.

How about a mercenary Guild? Rent out troops to other Guilds? Wouldn't it have to be named The Dorsai?

Both ideas need work and could lead to more ideas. I think it could be a lot of fun.

I'm glad you brought up GE, HoFs, Goods and BPs because I was thinking about this too. While the title of the thread is focused on GvG mercenaries, I had personally considered it possible to be a mercenary for goods or GE as well. I'm in Y world, and have the second place Arc on the leaderboard. I have plans to raise my Arc to 80 ASAP, then get some levels into CF before pushing my way up to FE. As such, I'll likely be one of the only people in FE with a level 80 Arc for some time, pumping out 700+ FE goods a day. I feel like that will be worth a lot to the top guilds on this world that still have yet to even penetrate those maps, and wonder what kind of price I could charge them just to sit in their guild and fill their treasury with goods and give them a guaranteed 64/64 in GE the weeks I'm there.

DeletedUser25166

What I don't understand is why being in FE would prohibit you from fighting in CE in any way? I understand the AAVs are incredibly strong, especially on offense paired with rogues, but you can set up your city to fight in CE even while in FE. I definitely agree a high level Traz will be important, as well as high enough Att GBs to fight on the top maps without slaughtering your own troops against the base bonuses.
I mentioned FE because troop barracks attack boost. Either city works, you might get more “rewards” fighting for someone on FE

DeletedUser31308

Since this thread hasn't garnered many responses yet, I'd like to open this up to hypotheticals from either current or past guild leaders, or people considering this strategy. For people familiar with leadership in guilds that are active in GvG, would you ever consider hiring a mercenary to take tiles for you? To provide goods to your treasury? To be a ringer in GE? If so, how much would you be willing to pay?

For people perhaps considering this strategy, what prices would you consider fair to charge? I've personally charged, briefly, 1 FP per DA on a some HMA tiles I took for another guild. At the time, I had practically nothing in terms of Att GBs, so it was pretty costly in terms of troops but I still valued FPs more than the unattacheds I'd gotten from GE/events. I'd think I would charge more to take down FE DAs for sure, but not sure how much more.

wolfhoundtoo

The flaw with using a mercenary to take sectors is that keeping them is going to be an issue. Mostly I'd suggest this might be a viable strategy for some guilds that are relatively new with lower era members. Some sectors in the higher age eras that they keep for a day or 2 might be worth it because the sectors give a lot more in the higher ages.

DeletedUser

I was once in a guild that had some big boys from another guild come in and take a few sectors for us. And once they left, we couldn't hold them. So this would only really be useful as an extra push to a guild that was already strong enough to hold the territory, but needed a little extra something to take more.

DeletedUser31308

I was once in a guild that had some big boys from another guild come in and take a few sectors for us. And once they left, we couldn't hold them. So this would only really be useful as an extra push to a guild that was already strong enough to hold the territory, but needed a little extra something to take more.
This is the situation I'm targetting. Top guilds that are swinging at each other and have exhausted their resources that could really benefit from an additional city full of troops coming in to blitz some tiles

Algona

I've been letting this sit (rattle, echo) in the back of my (cluttered, empty) mind.

I'm gonna experiment with my main city and take the peddler approach. That thread a couple weeks back about keeping up interest in the game? Posting there sorta made me realize how appealing the peddler life may be.

Wander into a Guild Sunday night and set up shop, stay until I get bored then wander on. Buy sell trade Goods, FPs, Guild Power, GE, GvG fighting. advice, whatever folk want. I am set up nicely for this . Firmly encamped in CE and fight 64/64 GE. A couple hundred thousand Goods and spitting out hundreds more per day with over 25K of those lovely ProgE Goods. Powered Arc, powering CdM and Traz. Self sufficient FP wise, learned a lot about self leveling from my startup and Thousands of FP in Inventory and I know how ro make more. 8 HoF producing 2K per day Guild Power and looking to add more.

I'm at the point where except for the Diamond Income (6K stocked up) I don't need GE Prizes; my city is stuffed now with, well, stuff. Getting mopoed might be problematic, but I can switch out some of the less useful targets.

I may chicken out, I've been in only the one Guild my entire time playing. (Go Dogstar Demons!)

The GvG aspect is still interesting and I have an idea on that. As I wander from Guild to Guild, I might try recruiting mercenaries. I suspect there might be a fair number of folk who might want to try occasional merc work. I'll check to see if Guilds might be interested in hiring a GvG Combat Team for a week or two and what they would pay. That;s a long term project, but I think it may work out as well.

Thoughts? Ideas? Problems?

DeletedUser30900

I tried to reach top 20 guild leaders for my service(64/64 GE, 5wins per sectors in GVG combined with the free good from my arc and obs) but I got rejected from all of them... some says they might contact me in the future, but I know it’s not gonna happen( like you go to an interview and they say they will call you back later) Others just laughed at me for asking a payment (50 points per week). I wonder if it’s because big guild don’t need help that much, I will try smaller guilds later

DeletedUser25166

I tried to reach top 20 guild leaders for my service(64/64 GE, 5wins per sectors in GVG combined with the free good from my arc and obs) but I got rejected from all of them... some says they might contact me in the future, but I know it’s not gonna happen( like you go to an interview and they say they will call you back later) Others just laughed at me for asking a payment (50 points per week). I wonder if it’s because big guild don’t need help that much, I will try smaller guilds later
Big GvG Guilds need an 8pm-10pm commitment for fighting. That is the biggest thing people who want to fight can do, be on at recalc time to help.

DeletedUser18799

The Dorsai!!! Nice to see a fellow sci-fi reader

DeletedUser18799

with the advent of GE and the proliferation of mobile users GvG has fallen greatly as the main activity for a lot of guilds