• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Which special buildings are worth keeping?

DeletedUser

I think I'd go with a fully upgraded Canal Bridge over a Tribal Square, as the CB gives much more goodies for the same size space (think I'm right on the space- correct me, please, if not).
I probably would, too. However, you have to either spend Diamonds or get real lucky just to get one fully upgraded bridge, while you can get numerous Tribal Squares. Tribal Squares FTW!

DeletedUser26579

Are the latest winter set buildings worthwhile? I haven't placed any of them yet.

Freshmeboy

Meh...it's an awkward building site to take advantage of fps...it leaves 1X1 spaces if you can use them but it detracts from the look of a Xmas fair.....suitable for laying down u til a new super building comes along...

DeletedUser29623

Meh...it's an awkward building site to take advantage of fps...it leaves 1X1 spaces if you can use them but it detracts from the look of a Xmas fair.....suitable for laying down u til a new super building comes along...

This is exactly right, except that some of them also give supply, coin and defense bonuses, which is why I'm keeping mine.

DeletedUser31592

Winter Buildings- It would depend on how many you have and which ones. If you can get a good arrangement out of what you have, they aren't bad. The big downfall is once you age-up, each one will need a One-Up Kit or Reno Kit. Lots of kits. And they attract plunderers.

DeletedUser29623

I would keep it when you've aged up one age, because often the previous age's goods are what you need for GE. It will still give you FPs and the boosts, which are good! By the time you're up an additional age, you can level your boosting GBs enough to delete them. The smorgasbord feast in one of my worlds is as much of a defense boost as a St. Basil's level.

DeletedUser26579

Winter Buildings- It would depend on how many you have and which ones. If you can get a good arrangement out of what you have, they aren't bad. The big downfall is once you age-up, each one will need a One-Up Kit or Reno Kit. Lots of kits. And they attract plunderers.

Funny, I thought the nice thing is that some of them are among the rare few that auto-upgrade. Source:

https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Madame_Fortuna's_Tent
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Straw_Star_Tent

I mean, most event buildings don't auto-upgrade, so having to upgrade some of them isn't a disadvantage since not much does (wishing wells do, and I forget what else, but it's not important).

Attracts plunderers? Really? I've generally not had a problem with that, so I'm not worried. I find that people often lose more resources to avoiding plundering than they would lose if they were actually plundered. (I'm willing to believe it's more of a concern at the endgame, but I'm not there yet.)

DeletedUser30900

find that people often lose more resources to avoiding plundering than they would lose if they were actually plundered. (I'm willing to believe it's more of a concern at the endgame, but I'm not there yet.)
god, I wish everyone in my neighborhood has a clear mind as yours!

DeletedUser31592

The vast majority of special buildings require upgrades. But, take the Carnival Event. It will take 1 One-Up Kit when I age up.

The Winter buildings I have (I only planted them in one of my cities) will take EIGHT One-Up kits:
upload_2018-3-14_0-36-16.png

DeletedUser26579

The vast majority of special buildings require upgrades. But, take the Carnival Event. It will take 1 One-Up Kit when I age up.

The Winter buildings I have (I only planted them in one of my cities) will take EIGHT One-Up kits:
View attachment 9460

The pillar and bridge are new and experimental -- only needing one kit is a big advantage. I was going to build mine, and then the space got eaten by a Great Building I wanted to build instead. But I will place it in my next redesign.

DeletedUser26579

god, I wish everyone in my neighborhood has a clear mind as yours!

I mean, I do get plundered from time to time, but it's not that bad. And I usually only get targeted when I hit #1 in the PvP towers, and then I can't blame people for hitting me at that point. Overall, I lose less than what the space taken up by a defensive building could produce.

DeletedUser31592

The pillar and bridge are new and experimental -- only needing one kit is a big advantage. I was going to build mine, and then the space got eaten by a Great Building I wanted to build instead. But I will place it in my next redesign.

They aren't really experimental.
Take the Graveyard. The Graveyard has been around for years. In previous years, the Halloween Event would have you delete your old Graveyard and the reward would be the next level Graveyard. A Reno Kit was needed to bring them to age (One-up kits are pretty new- used to only be Reno Kits). When Halloween or Winter were coming up, you knew not to waste a Reno Kit on your Graveyard or Confectionery because the event would have you delete it and your new, bigger, better replacement would be your new era.

With the May Day Event last year, they introduced the building-specific upgrade kit. It is just the Maypole, Cider Mill, Graveyard, etc.. were all existing buildings with new names for each level. The upgrade method was new.

The Pillar of Heroes was the first NEW building they made special kits for. I guess they got lazy and instead of naming each level, they just called them "Level 1", "Level 2", etc...

Set pieces were introduced last year with the Spring Event (Japanese Cherry Blossoms). Per Beta, we will now be upgrading the sets. Sets have some big downfalls- each piece needs upgraded, target for plundering (since they can't be motivated), timer resets when you move them, etc...

DeletedUser26579

They aren't really experimental.
Take the Graveyard. The Graveyard has been around for years. In previous years, the Halloween Event would have you delete your old Graveyard and the reward would be the next level Graveyard. A Reno Kit was needed to bring them to age (One-up kits are pretty new- used to only be Reno Kits). When Halloween or Winter were coming up, you knew not to waste a Reno Kit on your Graveyard or Confectionery because the event would have you delete it and your new, bigger, better replacement would be your new era.

With the May Day Event last year, they introduced the building-specific upgrade kit. It is just the Maypole, Cider Mill, Graveyard, etc.. were all existing buildings with new names for each level. The upgrade method was new.

The Pillar of Heroes was the first NEW building they made special kits for. I guess they got lazy and instead of naming each level, they just called them "Level 1", "Level 2", etc...

Set pieces were introduced last year with the Spring Event (Japanese Cherry Blossoms). Per Beta, we will now be upgrading the sets. Sets have some big downfalls- each piece needs upgraded, target for plundering (since they can't be motivated), timer resets when you move them, etc...

I don't disagree with any of these facts, though in my opinion the pillar of heroes and grand bridge are different from the others. They feel like set pieces to me, but it's like having a single building with the effects of a whole set, so you only have to upgrade one building. However, that's an opinion and cannot be proven or disproven.

DeletedUser31440

I don't disagree with any of these facts, though in my opinion the pillar of heroes and grand bridge are different from the others. They feel like set pieces to me, but it's like having a single building with the effects of a whole set, so you only have to upgrade one building. However, that's an opinion and cannot be proven or disproven.

Biggest difference to me between PoH and a set is that PoH can be motivated so it doesn't act as plunder bait.

DeletedUser31592

Only one piece, therefore not a set.
upload_2018-3-14_12-50-28.png

The Graveyard is the only building that has previously used the upgrades where the function does not change.
Maypole- At level 2 you get a coin boost, level 3 a larger coin boost
Cider Mill- A production building, but the options start at supplies only (maybe coins, too) and go through 1, 2, and 3 FP options.

DeletedUser26579

Only one piece, therefore not a set.
View attachment 9462

The Graveyard is the only building that has previously used the upgrades where the function does not change.
Maypole- At level 2 you get a coin boost, level 3 a larger coin boost
Cider Mill- A production building, but the options start at supplies only (maybe coins, too) and go through 1, 2, and 3 FP options.

There is nothing that can be proven here either way. There aren't any facts in dispute. This discussion is just bizarre.

By the way, one is a number, so one item can be a set. This is standard mathematics. You can, in fact, have a set with one element in it.

Can we back up and look at the point instead of odd sematics:

They are experimenting with event prizes:

* Confectionary/Graveyard would upgrade to bigger versions of themselves, but their function does not really change, so that's a bit boring.
* They tried to do upgrades with the maypole, but that wasn't very exciting either.
* They tried set buildings, but then you had to upgrade each one.
* Then they tried the cider mill, which was a bit better (from what I can tell -- I didn't build mine).
* Now, they are trying buildings with a large number of upgrades (7 levels) with the Pillar of Heroes and the Grand Bridge. As you win more prizes, you can upgrade it more and more and it improves (like maypole or a set building), but it goes further than a maypole (more levels), and you can motivate it, and you only need a single kit to advance it to the following era.

So, I do believe that they are feeling around and trying to figure out what makes for good event rewards (not horribly suprising that they would do so), and this is them trying to combine previous ideas into a slightly different form, even if the elements are not unique. Now the problem they are having with the Grand Bridge is that not everyone can upgrade it to maximum, and some people are unhappy about that.

DeletedUser32389

Then they tried the cider mill, which was a bit better (from what I can tell -- I didn't build mine).
Do the math on the base cider mill, no upgrades. It's the most efficient supply building I have. Just sayen. Not sure why my post was so ignored, guess people don't like math. Once you learn to compute efficiency by square there isn't much left to judge a building by IMHO.

DeletedUser29623

Do the math on the base cider mill, no upgrades. It's the most efficient supply building I have. Just sayen. Not sure why my post was so ignored, guess people don't like math. Once you learn to compute efficiency by square there isn't much left to judge a building by IMHO.

Yep. I would happily do DCs to win the level 1 cider mill so I could replace my blacksmiths with them.

DeletedUser26532

Properly arranged it basically fills a 6x6 (and has room for a SOK in that 6x6) and gives pretty good boots honestly. WOuld it be a top priority? No. But its actually quite good if properly done and if you aren't planning on aging up for a while. (I got mine in Future Era and have no plans to move up f or at least a year so upgrading isn't an issue)