• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best Unit per age

• Thread starter DeletedUser35976
  • Start date

DeletedUser35976

Here is my list.
Bronze Age: Warrior
Iron Age: Archer
EMA: Armored Infantry or Mercenary
HMA: Crossbow
LMA: Honestly, this era to balanced. No one unit dominates.
CA: Grenadier or Ranger
IindA: Howitzer or Jaeger Infantry
PE: Conscript, except against snipers. For those, armored car.
ME: Bazooka Team
PME: Champion. This unit is fast and can take on everything.

I don't have experience with units above PME.

What is the best unit per age in your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Triopoly Champion

Heavy Infantry is HMA, Armored Infantry is EMA.

Colonial Champion seems very good to me since it has unusually high defense, with tons of attack boosts piling up from the event buildings, it can reach the stats of Industrial Champion while staying in Colonial.

CE: Anti-Aircraft Vehicle
TE: Stealth Tank, TE Champion
FE: Hover Tank and Rail Gun, FE Champion

Last edited:

DeletedUser31442

Here is my list.
Bronze Age: Warrior
Iron Age: Archer
EMA: Armored Infantry or Mercenary
HMA: Crossbow
LMA: Honestly, this era to balanced. No one unit dominates.
IindA: Howitzer or Jaeger Infantry
PE: Conscript, except against snipers. For those, armored car.
ME: Bazooka Team
PME: Champion. This unit is fast and can take on everything.

I don't have experience with units above PME.

Agree somewhat except for your last two

For ME; Bazooka Team really?! Even against units that they should dominate (Artillery, Heavy) the reality is at they are so damn slow (14 movement) that they are hit multiple times before they can engage the enemy and that equates to a number of losses. In fact you have to go all the way back to the first unit (Spearfighters) to find a light unit that slow!!!

I find the PME Champion similar to all Calvary in that they are suicidal in nature always rushing in front, particularly so on defense, and while they can take on any '1 unit' the fact is they wind up taking on nearly every unit and wind up killed more often than not!

DeletedUser35976

Agree somewhat except for your last two

For ME; Bazooka Team really?! Even against units that they should dominate (Artillery, Heavy) the reality is at they are so damn slow (14 movement) that they are hit multiple times before they can engage the enemy and that equates to a number of losses. In fact you have to go all the way back to the first unit (Spearfighters) to find a light unit that slow!!!
I get what you are saying. However they can, albeit not very well, take on fast, artillery, and heavy. Most of the other units are specific counters to one or two other units.

As for the PME champ, I agree that they are not great on defense, however when used with seven rouges, they are great for attacking an unknown but strong, or strong and varied defense.

Jern2017

I regret that I rushed through half of the ages not paying attention to anything, including units. I will definitely start a new world in the future and enjoy the earlier eras of the game.

I realized I should slow down at the end of the Colonial Age (I'm currently in the Progressive Era), so here are my picks:

InA: Howitzers or Jaegers.

PE: Snipers and RFCs. I haven't had much luck with Conscripts, but I fight with PME units most of the time now anyway.

DeletedUser

I have cleaned up the personal insults and off topic posts. Please keep comments to the topic and stay away from personal attacks. Thank you.

DeletedUser38090

I've only played BA, but I'm enjoying my 8-spearmen armies. They can clear most of the IA continental map easily.

DeletedUser31442

I regret that I rushed through half of the ages not paying attention to anything, including units. I will definitely start a new world in the future and enjoy the earlier eras of the game.

I realized I should slow down at the end of the Colonial Age (I'm currently in the Progressive Era), so here are my picks:

InA: Howitzers or Jaegers.

PE: Snipers and RFCs. I haven't had much luck with Conscripts, but I fight with PME units most of the time now anyway.

I only really started paying attention to units and match ups when I saw what I was putting forth wasn't working! I've only really placed Snipers against lights or when when I cannot use my preference of Conscript and/or Tank. I found from LMA that Artillery through most of the first two levels is usually enough but by level 3 they start dying too quickly even if they have the decided advantage because of weak defense. I heard enough times that the AI starts targeting the seed(s) in CA but I really noticed that in PE and only gets worse with higher units.

qaccy

Rogues. Is it cheating that they count for every age?

On a more serious note, I personally leaned pretty heavily on ranged and artillery units in the early ages. Being able to avoid retaliation when attacking was a big deal for me! But because the game uses two different AI settings depending on where you're fighting, it's hard for me to really pick a universal 'best'. In the continent map, where the AI is generally smarter, being able to hit first is important so artillery units are very strong initially before they get phased out by more versatile (because of the Flying ability) fast units. However, in any other battle arena where most fighting takes place, almost any unit can be useful when paired with a contingent of Rogues and it's harder to pick a 'best'.

Triopoly Champion

Here is my list.
Colonial Champion is no doubt 1 of the best units consider it's extra defense, I can kill rangers with 102% of defense boosts using those tough horse-riders. For some reasons, those AI rangers always forgot to hide inside the forests.
Forge of Empires - Colonial Fast Defeats Light 102%.jpg

Super Catanian

In the EMA, the Mounted Archer dominates, at least with its huge movement value.
For the HMA, it should be Trebuchets along with the Crossbowmen.
Everything else seems about right.

DreadfulCadillac

In the EMA, the Mounted Archer dominates, at least with its huge movement value.
For the HMA, it should be Trebuchets along with the Crossbowmen.
Everything else seems about right.
NO.HMA is heavy infantry.i have been in hma for months..do multiple hma battles daily..i schould know..that or the treb is most powerfull in hma..but for me tthe heavy infantry is more powerfull.

DreadfulCadillac

And I would go with Crossbowmen first, then Trebuchets and then Berserkers. On rare occasions I would use the Knight, and almost never the Heavy Infantry. (And I have played through HMA many times on a variety of worlds.)
maybe we have different playing styles?i find that 1 heavy infantry plus 7 rogues always gets the job done...

DeletedUser

maybe we have different playing styles?i find that 1 heavy infantry plus 7 rogues always gets the job done...
Maybe, but without the Rogues, the Heavy Infantry is just dead meat on the field of battle unless there are no ranged or artillery units in the enemy army.