• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

I have some questions/comments for discussion.

xivarmy

I will put this another way. What player can tell me that they are opposed to buildings you can rotate because the game is better without that sort of feature? Really?o_O
I feel that way personally. It adds an additional challenge to layout if you can't change the orientation of the building you really want.

But the addition of many roadless buildings is killing that anyways. As you can just place roadless filler behind your buildings that aren't "perfect fits".

Johnny B. Goode

I will put this another way. What player can tell me that they are opposed to buildings you can rotate because the game is better without that sort of feature? Really?o_O
I am opposed to rotating buildings because the game is better without that feature. No self-respecting city building game should allow the rotating of buildings. Might as well just make them all the same size, or at least all square if you're going to do that. It completely takes a major challenge out of laying out a city.

JJ597

Inno makes the 2 sides viewable, a more interesting view. Can you imagine a winter train, pirates hideout, terracotta vineyard, rotated 180 degrees, which means the additional chained items, going the other way?

Disgruntled Veteran

The game's better without buildings that can rotate because it's a strategy game. You're expected to use your brain. Inno has directly commented on this specific topic..

Edit: here's a little refresher for those that might be confused about 2D vs 3D

Last edited:

Angry.Blanket

I think the way it is works just fine, much more art work involved in drawing the 2 missings side of every building , and it adds challenge to the game .
With that said, a full 3d city would be kinda cool,if you could rotate the actual city as well. As it is many buildings have road access at the rear of the building and not at the front.

UBERhelp1

With that said, a full 3d city would be kinda cool,if you could rotate the actual city as well.
The game is actually designed and rendered in 3D, before being downscaled, compressed, and flattened to 2D artwork and animations for the game. If it wasn't, most players wouldn't own hardware capable of running the game smoothly. But the files do exist... I wish I had them lol

WillyTwoShoes

The game's better without buildings that can rotate because it's a strategy game. You're expected to use your brain. Inno has directly commented on this specific topic..

Edit: here's a little refresher for those that might be confused about 2D vs 3D

I read your comment as, 'the game is better without more consumer options because Inno/foe would have to work harder to give them what they want before we make our pile and go out of business, open a new internet offering, and give players what they were asking for 5 years ago'.

All, I have to say is, a little hard work never hurt anyone.

WillyTwoShoes

Forgive me everyone please. But defending the current game graphics as some sort of high end intellectual pursuit rings awfully hollow to me. At any rate it was offered as an alternative solution to more expansions.

Pericles the Lion

Forgive me everyone please. But defending the current game graphics as some sort of high end intellectual pursuit rings awfully hollow to me. At any rate it was offered as an alternative solution to more expansions.
No one has said that not enabling rotation is "some sort of high end intellectual pursuit". There is a consensus that preventing rotation provides a welcome element of challenge to the game. What rings hollow, to me, is your justification for enabling rotation (i.e. "aesthetics"). If buildings could rotate then nearly every city would be laid out as a simple grid with all buildings' long side oriented along the same axis. What is aesthetic about this? Rotation would simply make the game easier and, believe it or not, there are players that do not want the game made easier.

Johnny B. Goode

I read your comment as, 'the game is better without more consumer options because Inno/foe would have to work harder to give them what they want before we make our pile and go out of business, open a new internet offering, and give players what they were asking for 5 years ago'.
You didn't get that out of his comment, you got that out of your own imagination.
All, I have to say is, a little hard work never hurt anyone.
Kind of ironic that you would say this in defense of rotating buildings, since that ability would take away a lot of the work of building a city.

UBERhelp1

Just want to jump in on the art front - the artists actually do some really cool work, but it has to be reduced to 2D to maintain performance across devices. If the graphics were rendered real-time, most players wouldn't have the hardware capable of running the event at any level of quality. Just look at a game like Rise of Cultures where they're using 3D models rendered in real-time. A lot of the detail is lost as a result.
ROC_sc_1__1_.jpg

If you want to do something fun, a lot of the FoE artists post concept art or high quality renders of buildings on third party sites. Some of my favorites I've found are below.
ArtistImage
Vincent Ganachaud
SAJM
vincent-ganachaud-europa-perleq17-a.jpg
Vincent Ganachaud
Mughals
vincent-ganachaud-mughals-city-4.jpg
Vincent Ganachaud
SAV Clouds
vincent-ganachaud-venus-clouds-3.jpg
Ted Garnie
SAT cMap (full quality)
ted-garnie-world-titan-bg.jpg
Andres Romero
SAV Vertical Farm
andres-romero-verticalfarm.jpg

Disgruntled Veteran

No one has said that not enabling rotation is "some sort of high end intellectual pursuit". There is a consensus that preventing rotation provides a welcome element of challenge to the game. What rings hollow, to me, is your justification for enabling rotation (i.e. "aesthetics"). If buildings could rotate then nearly every city would be laid out as a simple grid with all buildings' long side oriented along the same axis. What is aesthetic about this? Rotation would simply make the game easier and, believe it or not, there are players that do not want the game made easier.

@WillyTwoShoes just wants an easy game to play that looks nice an hands achievements to him, must not have any brain power left upstairs. What are you going to ask for next, a finish all great buildings or diamond producing great building?

Disgruntled Veteran

We have 5 of those already

Chateau Frontenac
Seed Vault
Himeji Castle
Space Carrier
Blue Galaxy

Guess you could put Temple of Relics in there as well if we want to include the Fountain of Youth production
Very true, however with my intended sarcasm I meant a dedicated GB that produces diamonds every day which increase with each level. You know, something inno would never do..

Disgruntled Veteran

It does. but at level 100 it'll pay out close to 8000 diamonds per year, and all you need to do is smack the aid all button every day.
These are the things I like to find out about. I had no idea what to expect at higher GB levels. I have too many of them to level at a decent pace..

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

These are the things I like to find out about. I had no idea what to expect at higher GB levels. I have too many of them to level at a decent pace..
Start with your Arc first, get it to 80, and then work on the rest. With modern event buildings giving so many FP, you'll be able to level GB quick :)