• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlement

xivarmy

Probably not within the next month. Changes are coming when Polynesia comes out. Which is not on beta yet.

I would expect it sometime in 3-6 months. The early announcement was just to give people a chance to get back to doing them with the knowledge that their main prizes will be relevant again "soon".

Johnny B. Goode

The early announcement was just to give people a chance to get back to doing them with the knowledge that their main prizes will be relevant again "soon".
Seems to me like a desperate move to try to keep players interested in playing the game. With GvG leaving, GBG apparently not popular with the majority of players, and GE kind of a bust since the changes/nerf, Inno might be grasping at straws at this point.

jaymoney23456

Seems to me like a desperate move to try to keep players interested in playing the game. With GvG leaving, GBG apparently not popular with the majority of players, and GE kind of a bust since the changes/nerf, Inno might be grasping at straws at this point.
Its hard to keep anyone interested in fighting when all it is, is point and click. Manual battles are actually worse too since even the old regular nintendo had much more interesting fighting in games that had a fighting component or were about battling lol

Johnny B. Goode

Improving outdated buildings is by no means "grasping at straws"
Announcing it on the live Forum long before ever implementing it on Beta is what smacks of grasping at straws. Actually doing it might be a good thing for the game, but playing the players like this is bad news. For one thing, there's no guarantee that the improvements that hit the live servers will even look like what's been announced. You all know how frequently they retool stuff, sometimes even after they try to introduce it on live. The only thing that has happened is a lot of people are probably revisiting the Settlements, hoping that Inno actually follows through. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. Bottom line is that they're banking on players playing the Settlements more, which translates to spending more time on the game. More clicks, more chances to spend money.

jaymoney23456

If there was an actual strategy involved in how you do a battle it might actually be interesting. As it is, the only reason anyone even bothers with it is for rewards and pretty much everyone finds it tedious!

jaymoney23456

Announcing it on the live Forum long before ever implementing it on Beta is what smacks of grasping at straws. Actually doing it might be a good thing for the game, but playing the players like this is bad news. For one thing, there's no guarantee that the improvements that hit the live servers will even look like what's been announced. You all know how frequently they retool stuff, sometimes even after they try to introduce it on live. The only thing that has happened is a lot of people are probably revisiting the Settlements, hoping that Inno actually follows through. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. Bottom line is that they're banking on players playing the Settlements more, which translates to spending more time on the game. More clicks, more chances to spend money.
It was pretty unusual to get an announcement on live about a feature that is just hitting Beta.

Ebeondi Asi

Back to the same old same old complaints. The sky is falling. (or, according to some here, has already fallen and we just don't know we are all already dead?)
In the Guilds I'm in, everyone seems happy.

jaymoney23456

Back to the same old same old complaints. The sky is falling. (or, according to some here, has already fallen and we just don't know we are all already dead?)
not really much to complain about when your in a guild loaded with billion point players and you can just sit back and not have to do anything lol

Johnny B. Goode

Oh, well then never mind. I'm sure your guilds represent a full cross-section of all active guild/player types and attitudes. I must therefore be completely wrong. :rolleyes:
Answer me this: When has Inno ever announced a new feature, complete with exact building stats, before said feature even hits Beta? I'll wait.

Angry.Blanket

Give me an example of a conversation you would approve of? They changed the game, I enjoyed the game before they changed it, now I don't enjoy it. You whining because folks are voicing their displeasure doesn't change that.

xivarmy

Answer me this: When has Inno ever announced a new feature, complete with exact building stats, before said feature even hits Beta? I'll wait.
Honestly this is an aberrant development all around so I don't know that we have a precedent to refer to for what they'd "normally" do for this kind of change. And I'm willing to accept the exact building stats as probably-accurate since they announced it live and not just on beta. Any backlash if they go back on them significantly I would say is fair.

Primarily I consider the advanced notice a positive in this case - settlements have been at the very least skippable, if not a waste of time, for some time now. And if someone was making the choice not to play them on those grounds, as much early notice as possible that the benefit is going to change soon is a good thing imo - it takes a lot of time to catch up if you for instance haven't done *any* settlement runs and they're about to add more (new settlement).

Pericles the Lion

Oh, well then never mind. I'm sure your guilds represent a full cross-section of all active guild/player types and attitudes. I must therefore be completely wrong. :rolleyes:
Everything is a "never been done before" until it has been done the first time. Players have been asking to have the Settlements retooled for a long time. Apparently, INNO has listened. Players have asked for more communication, INNO is listening. There is no good reason to believe that INNO is being deceptive in announcing updates to the Settlements. This is a win in my estimation. Feel free to disagree as always.

Johnny B. Goode

Honestly this is an aberrant development all around so I don't know that we have a precedent to refer to for what they'd "normally" do for this kind of change. And I'm willing to accept the exact building stats as probably-accurate since they announced it live and not just on beta. Any backlash if they go back on them significantly I would say is fair.

Primarily I consider the advanced notice a positive in this case - settlements have been at the very least skippable, if not a waste of time, for some time now. And if someone was making the choice not to play them on those grounds, as much early notice as possible that the benefit is going to change soon is a good thing imo - it takes a lot of time to catch up if you for instance haven't done *any* settlement runs and they're about to add more (new settlement).
As I said, maybe the changes to Settlements will be good for the game. I hope so. And maybe these stats will hold up when it does hit live. My point is that such a completely unprecedented departure from how they've always done things may not be a good sign. Are they being deceptive? Maybe, but probably not. They probably intend for these changes to make it to live in very much the manner they've announced. Why announce something so specifically so early, though? They know how many times they've had to backtrack on how features look and what stats they have between concept and actually being introduced on the live servers. And sometimes even changing after that. Kinda like announcing Guild Raids when they did, and then the name changed to Quantum Incursions before it even made it to Beta. No, I think it looks like they're doing anything they can to keep players interested and playing, without actually having a vision for the game's future. GBG is a prime example. How many changes just so far have they made in that? And the major overhaul of GE, including severely nerfing the Diamond chances there. Who knows what QI will look like a year from now, assuming it even makes it to the live servers and is still around. From what I've seen of it and comments I've read about it, it doesn't look promising. And if all of these scattershot changes don't improve MTG's bottom line, what then for FoE?

All these players defending the individual moves Inno is making are looking at the trees and ignoring the forest. In my always humble opinion. :cool:

Xenosaur

Recently purveyed and touted, we've also never seen the now public "strategic vision" roadmap for the game either (to my knowledge).

Getting a view from the company through a fairly senior representative name who "owns this" (aka "Matt") to draft a multi year "let them read it" document is a breath of fresh air.

Yes, while many people were encouraged at game futures and directional points made in that document, (like GE 6, 7, 8) or whatever - or lots and lots of updates and fixes to a now somewhat antiquated interface, and even game tools/venues - these will not be here next week, or next month, or possibly not ever, and those that do will take years to see and play.

But what it does is - HOLDS out HOPE that when people read that, they nodded with approval that those are some of the things they want - so they hold OFF on their depatures plans to see how it all may shake out.

So in some ways, you have to decide to believe in how they're planning to blend "fun" and strong enough revenue accretion to deliver on all these "visions" and plans - or not - thinking they're just marketing smoke to hold player levels via antipcipation - and keep the potential for veterans to be even mildly accretive to their income model.

xivarmy

As I said, maybe the changes to Settlements will be good for the game. I hope so. And maybe these stats will hold up when it does hit live. My point is that such a completely unprecedented departure from how they've always done things may not be a good sign. Are they being deceptive? Maybe, but probably not. They probably intend for these changes to make it to live in very much the manner they've announced. Why announce something so specifically so early, though? They know how many times they've had to backtrack on how features look and what stats they have between concept and actually being introduced on the live servers. And sometimes even changing after that. Kinda like announcing Guild Raids when they did, and then the name changed to Quantum Incursions before it even made it to Beta. No, I think it looks like they're doing anything they can to keep players interested and playing, without actually having a vision for the game's future. GBG is a prime example. How many changes just so far have they made in that? And the major overhaul of GE, including severely nerfing the Diamond chances there. Who knows what QI will look like a year from now, assuming it even makes it to the live servers and is still around. From what I've seen of it and comments I've read about it, it doesn't look promising. And if all of these scattershot changes don't improve MTG's bottom line, what then for FoE?

All these players defending the individual moves Inno is making are looking at the trees and ignoring the forest. In my always humble opinion. :cool:
Oh I agree they're running the game into the ground. The fact that they *need* to make these changes to the settlements to keep them relevant is a symptom of the problem they've created with runaway power creep from events.

But there is a difference between complaining about the overall direction of the game (i agree - it'd be better if these changes didn't become "necessary" - but they were if they wanted people to continue to play settlements) and complaining about how they chose to announce changes (it's a good thing they gave us advance notice of the change even if the change itself is just another stepping stone down an unfortunate road).

WillyTwoShoes

Most of you know I am a fan of the settlements and am pleased that Inno has announced plans to update them.. I happen to think they are a lot of fun and a bit of a challenge to complete. I felt like I really did something when I got my final Yggdrasil upgrade and I would personally like to see everyone in my guild get the maxed Bathhouse for the guild goods. :)

However, saying that.

And in light of any official references to the reward fragments for the various timed builds (Ancient Obelisk/Greater Runestone/etcetera) I will wait till I see how they weasel in any increased diamond spending before I decide the value of any recommendation I might have to make. (not that any recommendation I have carries any weight for anyone but myself)
-