• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Cultural Settlement

Xenosaur

Your comment: And in light of any official references to the reward fragments for the various timed builds (Ancient Obelisk/Greater Runestone/etcetera) I will wait till I see how they weasel in any increased diamond spending before I decide the value of any recommendation I might have to make. (not that any recommendation I have carries any weight for anyone but myself)
@WillyTwoShoes

you won't... but WILL (might) experience it "softly" - ie, how it will enter the game will be surreptitiously. You'll say - I think there are more rocks than "normal" and some are 2 or 3 in a group vs 1 or 2 previously, or 2 different groupings of rocks in the same 4x4 square. It will be a softer non-quantifiable analysis.

So an easy way to get more value from settlement is to quietly adjust where income is made by Inno.

It will come on the heals of more rocks, and having them in critical areas that have to be removed, etc. They control a LOT of the game balance you can't see. It won't just be about overt attempts to get higher revenue, it will definitely be covert.

And after a month or 2 of the "initial values generated", they will data mine the gamer population and see how much adoption there was - they could loosen the tightness they created if the demand isn't where they want it.. and put a few shill comments into the general population about - GOSH this seems easier all of a sudden... LOL.

So many ways to "fiddle" with all of it - no accountability is required - just tracking demand and revenue creation and finding ways to get more demand, and more revenue.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

But there is a difference between complaining about the overall direction of the game (i agree - it'd be better if these changes didn't become "necessary" - but they were if they wanted people to continue to play settlements) and complaining about how they chose to announce changes (it's a good thing they gave us advance notice of the change even if the change itself is just another stepping stone down an unfortunate road).
I am complaining about the overall direction of the game, I own that. I am not really "complaining" about the early notice, but pointing out that the fact that it is such a departure from the way they've always done it may not be a good sign for the future of the game. So yes, there is a difference, but the difference is that one is complaining and the other is questioning their motives for a change of pattern. If they follow through with Settlements as it appears they intend, then maybe it is just a case of giving us advance notice so we can be prepared. In that case, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't have a desperate agenda in doing so. For now, given their history, I think it is logical to be suspicious of them doing something significantly differently from their long-established pattern with that something.

@WillyTwoShoes

you won't... but WILL (might) experience it "softly" - ie, how it will enter the game will be surreptitiously. You'll say - I think there are more rocks than "normal" and some are 2 or 3 in a group vs 1 or 2 previously, or 2 different groupings of rocks in the same 4x4 square. It will be a softer non-quantifiable analysis.

So an easy way to get more value from settlement is to quietly adjust where income is made by Inno.

It will come on the heals of more rocks, and having them in critical areas that have to be removed, etc. They control a LOT of the game balance you can't see. It won't just be about overt attempts to get higher revenue, it will definitely be covert.
If someone has half a diamond farm running it won't be a problem. Inno wants solid cash. The 5 diamond collect all maybe earns Inno 5k a year. Events are the main cashflow for Inno. People paying for removal is a laughable amount of money. let's make a calculation. let's use world us11. 45k people. around 10k of them are serious active players. lets assume they do an average of 24 settlement runs. You can spend 300 diamonds max on impediment removal. 100x240k=24 million diamonds spent. that is $174k. I think I just disproved myself

Johnny B. Goode

If someone has half a diamond farm running it won't be a problem. Inno wants solid cash. The 5 diamond collect all maybe earns Inno 5k a year. Events are the main cashflow for Inno. People paying for removal is a laughable amount of money. let's make a calculation. let's use world us11. 45k people. around 10k of them are serious active players. lets assume they do an average of 24 settlement runs. You can spend 300 diamonds max on impediment removal. 100x240k=24 million diamonds spent. that is $174k. I think I just disproved myself
Do you seriously think that more than a handful of players use bought Diamonds for impediment removal in Cultural Settlements?!? Why would anyone do that? Except for very early on, when the timed rewards were considered worthwhile, there has never been a rush to finish a Settlement. And being in a rush is the only justification for using even earned Diamonds for that, let alone bought ones.

Sharmon the Impaler

Do you seriously think that more than a handful of players use bought Diamonds for impediment removal in Cultural Settlements?!? Why would anyone do that? Except for very early on, when the timed rewards were considered worthwhile, there has never been a rush to finish a Settlement. And being in a rush is the only justification for using even earned Diamonds for that, let alone bought ones.
JBG , I can not think of one thing that Inno has done in this game in 5 years that has been a thanks for the player's loyalty shown. As soon as you spend money on the game Inno immediately forgets that and moves on to the next way they can suck money off the player. Name one thing in the past 4 years and I will retract this statement. Don't bother with the trees of love trash , that was a joke even back then. Parasite is the word that comes to mind , taking and never giving.

Pericles the Lion

JBG , I can not think of one thing that Inno has done in this game in 5 years that has been a thanks for the player's loyalty shown. As soon as you spend money on the game Inno immediately forgets that and moves on to the next way they can suck money off the player. Name one thing in the past 4 years and I will retract this statement. Don't bother with the trees of love trash , that was a joke even back then. Parasite is the word that comes to mind , taking and never giving.
Castle system is a freebie (sure, you can spend money to race to the upper levels but you don't have to)

Sharmon the Impaler

It was free. Leave it to you to find something to dislike about a gift.
It wasn't free , it was forced on us. Inno can do anything at all , even closing the server and you would cheer. $30 per month subscriptions ? Yay ! , attack values slashed by 20% ? Yay , Deliberately pitting player against player ? Yay ! Your playlist is old , go away.

Wwwoodchuck

This is just me speculating… Yes, impediment removal costs diamonds. But since impediments are a genuine pain to most users and the cost is minimal, BAM - spend to remove at least one per settlement. I know I certainly did. Think of it like 10 Diamonds for another chance at a negotiation. For 50 Diamonds I do not have to screw with this stupid impediment. For many of us, that is money well spent. I do not want the challenge, I want the thing done so I can get the building.

The settlements also take a lot of time. For a minimal expenditure of diamonds they can be sped along at certain points. BAM - A few more diamonds spent. Back when the secondary buildings were a valuable commodity, the more runs that a user did, the tighter it was to get those full rewards. BAM – A few more diamonds to rush steps in those last ones.

All that ads up. 10 pennies make a dime, 10 dimes make a dollar.

We can see this in Mughal settlement, the last one created to that point. This was the accumulation of knowledge gained from the previous ones. The beginning is extremely tedious… BAM – a few diamonds spent and you can rush those first steps. It takes a lot of Diplomacy which takes a lot of expansions. BAM - A few diamonds for an expansion or two. There are impediments all over in all those needed expansions. BAM - A few diamonds to remove a few impediments. I see everything that made the previous settlements tedious (spelled profitable) put into Mughal. I did all the other settlements in all my cities and received all the time rewards. Mughal I did 2 Play throughs and called it quits. And no, the new and improved benefits are not going to get me to go back and do it.

Giving advanced notice Settlement buildings will get very nice buffs is the companies way of getting more users to spend a few Diamonds on them. Get the interest back up in them. There is no development cost to them now.

And yes. I know folks are going to chime in and say they can be completed without the use of diamonds. And I agree. However, we are talking a subset of players who will do that. The game is not built around letting players complete things without using diamonds, it is built in ways that make it so players will feel using diamonds is their best option. Think of it this way. If the first settlement was not profitable, there would never have been a second one, or a third…

For Returning the sold settlements buildings? Cost effective. It would cost more to have programmers go back into old code and rewrite it so that a user could do settlements to ‘win’ more than one Level 1 and to check that each user will only have one, level 1. Returning the sold buildings has minimal cost involved. One programmer writes a quick DBI to check who did the settlements and what levels they had finished. Support only has to run the DBI against the users account and place the level(s) the user completed back into their inventory. BAM - Done

And why return them at all? With all the new and improved different military stats, the more a user has, the more they need. That is the reason buildings are given more variety now. If it was difficult to get military boosts for a certain part of the game, users would just not participate in that part of the game. If they are given small amounts of boost, they will feel they need just a little more to be effective. I believe there are many players who have not participated in some of the new parts of the game as they lacked the boosts for it. They are not participating in the events. Spend some time looking at others cities, outside of the spenders that is. By upgrading something as old as the Settlement Rewards, which many players still have, they will get just a taste, and hopefully be willing to try and get more of certain boosts. How is the saying.. The first one is always free?

There is a second reason for just giving back settlement rewards over making users replay them. We see from using old, old code (2012) and trying to modify it for a new instance of the game (Quantum Incursions) all the issues it caused. I am no Programmer, but understand how things used to be written. That Iron Age code has been stepped on for so many years, there are tentacles of it in way too many places now. No one is around who had anything to do with writing it and I can imagine the lack of documentation in that code. The software has also likely been changed/upgraded several times. Small tweaks over the years (Undocumented, of course) to fix “bugs” from upgrades, makes it even more difficult to correct issues. Take a look at the seemingly “simple” issues there have been in Quantum Incursions. Can’t sell a building? Happiness?? They are the most basic of transactions yet took.. How many days to correct and what other issues arose as they were correcting them?

Johnny B. Goode

This is just me speculating… Yes, impediment removal costs diamonds. But since impediments are a genuine pain to most users and the cost is minimal, BAM - spend to remove at least one per settlement. I know I certainly did. Think of it like 10 Diamonds for another chance at a negotiation. For 50 Diamonds I do not have to screw with this stupid impediment. For many of us, that is money well spent. I do not want the challenge, I want the thing done so I can get the building.

The settlements also take a lot of time. For a minimal expenditure of diamonds they can be sped along at certain points. BAM - A few more diamonds spent. Back when the secondary buildings were a valuable commodity, the more runs that a user did, the tighter it was to get those full rewards. BAM – A few more diamonds to rush steps in those last ones.

All that ads up. 10 pennies make a dime, 10 dimes make a dollar.

We can see this in Mughal settlement, the last one created to that point. This was the accumulation of knowledge gained from the previous ones. The beginning is extremely tedious… BAM – a few diamonds spent and you can rush those first steps. It takes a lot of Diplomacy which takes a lot of expansions. BAM - A few diamonds for an expansion or two. There are impediments all over in all those needed expansions. BAM - A few diamonds to remove a few impediments. I see everything that made the previous settlements tedious (spelled profitable) put into Mughal. I did all the other settlements in all my cities and received all the time rewards. Mughal I did 2 Play throughs and called it quits. And no, the new and improved benefits are not going to get me to go back and do it.

Giving advanced notice Settlement buildings will get very nice buffs is the companies way of getting more users to spend a few Diamonds on them. Get the interest back up in them. There is no development cost to them now.

And yes. I know folks are going to chime in and say they can be completed without the use of diamonds. And I agree. However, we are talking a subset of players who will do that. The game is not built around letting players complete things without using diamonds, it is built in ways that make it so players will feel using diamonds is their best option. Think of it this way. If the first settlement was not profitable, there would never have been a second one, or a third…
Even with Diamond farms bringing in in excess of 250 Diamonds per collection, I never saw a justification for spending 50 Diamonds to remove an impediment. Maybe some did back when the side buildings were considered worth rushing for, but that didn't last very long and hasn't been the case for smart players for years. If it was 10 Diamonds, I might consider it, but 50 Diamonds is way too steep for such foolishness.

xivarmy

Even with Diamond farms bringing in in excess of 250 Diamonds per collection, I never saw a justification for spending 50 Diamonds to remove an impediment. Maybe some did back when the side buildings were considered worth rushing for, but that didn't last very long and hasn't been the case for smart players for years. If it was 10 Diamonds, I might consider it, but 50 Diamonds is way too steep for such foolishness.
Even when I spent some diamonds on settlements, it was never for impediment removal. I often spent ~200-300 diamonds a run to cutoff a day or two and get past the slow start in Vikings/Japan. Get the first real coin producer, the minigame open in Japan, maybe the 2nd good for extra expansions in Vikings, get the settlement actually producing.

I can't even imagine much time being saved from an extra impediment removal...

reddevil333

I'm new here but have been following this forum for a while. I use the settlement as a break from GBG or form the leadership of my guild. I like the planning out of the village and find it a nice challenge. Eventually, I get to the end and finish the settlement. I'm not a diamond spender or buyer. Just use the game to have a good time. I did finish the Viking village 13 times to get the prize. BTW it takes me sometime 2 monthe to finish one level of the settlements.

Darkest.Knight

Back when I was making copies of Timeless Dojos, I was able to complete the Japanese Settlement in a week, made 14 of the buggers, lol. Don't really remember how quickly I could do Mughal, but it did require figuring out the correct building placement to get the Townhall bonuses.

Kung.Fu

So i am excited about the upgrades to the listed buildings and emissaries.. but what about the smaller buildings you have to build through fragments? They will need to be upgraded too, but there is no mention of them

WillyTwoShoes

So i am excited about the upgrades to the listed buildings and emissaries.. but what about the smaller buildings you have to build through fragments? They will need to be upgraded too, but there is no mention of them
It seems we are all waiting for answers to that and a passel of other questions. Starting to feel like a mushroom?