• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Newbie question

DeletedUser

I have not been playing long and I'm curious on whether is better to advance through ages quickly or take your time??? I see player who have been player longer than me and they have not expanded as much

DeletedUser10517

Everyone plays differently but Im of the side who takes their time.

I like to get my Great Buildings and work on them a little before I go racing through the Tech....Oh and get some fights under my belts.

DeletedUser13452

It's a game of patience. Take your time and build your city. Racing through the ages is for experienced players. You will find that you run out of resources if you advance too fast. So, you get stuck anyway and have to build up to acquire those resources. If your spending money, that's not a problem. Good luck. :)

Mustapha00

I'd urge taking your time.
One reason why: on the PvE map where you acquire provinces for various rewards (like resources to make Goods, expansions, access to PvP, etc.), you can easily trade the goods you have for the goods you need and thereby Negotiate rather than fight for the Provinces. However, if you decide to take a conquer approach and fight for those sectors, you can quickly find your troops up against advanced, possibly significantly advanced, enemy troops which you might have a difficult time defeating at a price you're willing to pay. Going slower would give you the option of Negotiating or Fighting.

DeletedUser10415

If you stay in bronze age for a couple of weeks, aiding your neighbors daily and doing recurring quests, you'll likely have all your blueprints for both babel and zeus. if you get babel built and get it leveled up some, you'll have a good non-plunderable source of bronze age goods. if you look at the tech tree, you'll see that goods from an age are needed for advancement in the following two ages. while you can certainly trade with guildmates, friends, and neighbors for goods you'll need, I find it nice to not have to so much. So I'll sit and 'soak' in an age for a good long while, letting my goods great buildings fill up my stores. iron age provides the lighthouse - another goods GB, which you can even get blueprints for while you're still in BA, from polivating iron age buildings of your guildmates, friends, and neighbors. in 4 out of 6 of my cities, I had both babel and the lighthouse churning out goods for me while I was still in BA. when i had enough BA goods to cover the following two ages, I advanced to IA, worked my way through IA tech, and then sat and soaked there until i had the IA goods for the following two ages. Rinsed and repeated.

now my method may be too slow for some, if not most, but it's worked for me.

P.S.
i've only negotiated for sectors to satisfy mandatory quests. goods are far better spent on your tech tree and construction of GBs, IMO.

DeletedUser

How quickly you can advance has a lot to do with 1) What plan, if any, you have for your city 2) The guild you are a part of and 3) The gimmicks available to you.
If you want to be a fighter, taking your time and investing fp to build Zeus, Babel, LoA, CoA and St. Marks early is well worth it. Being in a guild with rapidly advancing players can help you access good and GBs that would otherwise be out of your reach as well. As far as gimmicks go, if you can get a bit ahead in ages, then mass produce goods people need, you can trade goods for forge point donations, leveling your GB's while still being able to use your forge points on tech and securing blue prints.

As far as the continent map goes, that's never a reason to go slowly. Its far more cost effective to fight the maps than to negotiate for them. Better for your guild also to not be trading out goods for something that can be handled easily with attached troops. 9/10 times whatever ranged unit you have unlocked will beat the map for you for that age up through PE, then things change a bit. Just be sure you're leveling your military GB's through the goods trade like I suggested, fp clubs, or swaps in guild.

DeletedUser7289

I am a strong believer in advancing your age. Yes, it is easier to sit and wait, but it's more rewarding to move ahead. The buildings and armies just keep getting better with each age.
Always fight the map! Only negotiate when a quest requires it. Fighting the map will help you learn how to best use each army type. Don't freak out if you lose sometimes; it will help you learn and armies can be rebuilt.
At every age, you will need more of something (goods, coin, supply, etc.). Be willing to adjust as you go and sell off what you no longer need. Expand any time you can, and try to use your space wisely. You'll always want more.
GB's are great, and building them up is good, but there's no GB in the game that's as valuable as going up an age. It's all about balance.
Happy Forging!

DeletedUser17558

I am a strong believer in advancing your age. Yes, it is easier to sit and wait, but it's more rewarding to move ahead. The buildings and armies just keep getting better with each age.
Always fight the map! Only negotiate when a quest requires it. Fighting the map will help you learn how to best use each army type. Don't freak out if you lose sometimes; it will help you learn and armies can be rebuilt.
At every age, you will need more of something (goods, coin, supply, etc.). Be willing to adjust as you go and sell off what you no longer need. Expand any time you can, and try to use your space wisely. You'll always want more.
GB's are great, and building them up is good, but there's no GB in the game that's as valuable as going up an age. It's all about balance.
Happy Forging!

I agree: advance, advance, advance. There is nothing more satisfying than to get that 1 million point player dropped into my hood of multimillion point players. We need you for goods, so hurry up and get here.

DeletedUser7289

Shauny, you're a shark. But careful what you wish for. Some of your victims grow up, and come back to haunt you. (I remember those who beat up on me when I was #72 in a 'hood. It's always nice when I now hit them back, or kick their guild off of a GvG map.)

DeletedUser10415

The thing about most sharks is they've got nothing to lose. They don't needs goods buildings because their neighbors have plenty of them. ;)

DeletedUser17558

Shauny, you're a shark. But careful what you wish for. Some of your victims grow up, and come back to haunt you. (I remember those who beat up on me when I was #72 in a 'hood. It's always nice when I now hit them back, or kick their guild off of a GvG map.)

ha. Yes, I started the game full grown into a fighting machine. Really, I was at the bottom of hoods once. I got to where I am by passing everyone else. The only people who pass me are GvG point farmers or people who pump up GB's or people who pay money. And in the long run the ranking doesn't matter that much. I have hit the #1 in my hood and gotten through and been hit by someone much lower than me and they got through. Neither happen often, but they do.

OP, take as much time as you want to grow. If you grow too fast, you will always be at the bottom of the hood. Do what many do, including myself, and stunt your tech tree growth to allow your GB's to grow. Those that blow through the tech tree will move on sooner or later and you will stay in your hood for awhile, slowly but surely moving up the rankings, to eventually reach the top. Then you move up an era, rinse, repeat. Or not. Either way, I look forward to seeing you.

DeletedUser

When starting out how much should you build up one GB before starting on another one?

I'm in Iron Age with my main city and just put up Babel. Do I leave it at level one and work on getting Lighthouse or Colaseum up or level up the tower some first?

DeletedUser13838

My opinion is to get the lighthouse and zeus and work on those. Don't bother with the colosseum. And don't put forge points in your own GBs. You are better off making agreements with other players (particularly in your guild) to swap fps because GBs give rewards to the top 5 contributors but you can't get rewards from your own GBs.

Algona

Konrad is exactly right. As usual.

Colosseum is just not that good. Check out high ranked players, no see-um the Colosseum. I made a funny!

Except the final couple FP to double dip you should NEVER donate FPs to your own GBs. Swap FPs with your guildies and friends.

DeletedUser13452

Colossiem is a poor performer. I wouldn't build it.If you are not interested in fighting, go forth and good luck, though you may want to sit tight and acquire a good stockpile of goods before you advance, as others have stated. If you like to fight, then try to get your Zeus before you get too much farther. Lighthouse and Babel are both good GBs to build, imo. Many don't care that much for Babel, but you already have it, so good luck. :)

DeletedUser

Thanks for replies all.
I'm not into PvP at all really so don't see Zeus as a good investment.

Surprised to hear that Colosseum is a poor choice, would think the medal production would be good for non PvP type players.

DeletedUser10415

Thanks for replies all.
I'm not into PvP at all really so don't see Zeus as a good investment.

Zeus is the smallest GB there is, and takes minimal goods to build. Not only that, you're going to want him, and at least one other attack GB (Castle del Monte is the better of the two remaining), because even if you don't PvP, you fight the continent map unless you negotiate everything.

Now maybe you're thinking you've got a choice in this game between the peaceful builder and the militaristic builder. You do, but it's not a real choice. The cost in goods for negotiating sectors ramps up pretty quickly. I've got a guy in one of my guilds who's probably not going to be able to finish the Winter Event because he's nowhere near able to get the goods together to negotiate all the sectors he'd need to take a province. But he can't fight the map either because he's only got one attack GB.

DeletedUser

Ok thanks, been getting BPs for Cathedral of Aachen and planned to build that at some point.
Currently have a Drummer School from event, not great I know but helps some for present.