• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

2-wave army: 4 heavy + 4 ranged, then 8 artillery

MOAGLEE

I faced the following 2-wave army in GE lvl 4 yesterday:
  • 4 heavy infantry + 4 crossbowmen
  • 8 trebuchets
I won the battle with 4 trebuchets + 4 rogues with minimal losses in the first wave (and could have done with zero losses if not for a silly miscalculation) after buying 10+ attempts to make sure the enemy's formation didn't put my units under the archers' range after the first movement. But in the second round, I lost 3 trebuchets and a rogue, despite playing relatively optimally (targeting every second trebuchet in the firing order).

Is there anything better I could have done/any better combinations I could've used?

MOAGLEE

I didn't take any damage in the first wave either (except for some injury to a rogue due to a miscalculation). And in the second wave isn't it better to have some rogues so the enemy targets them first?

wolfhoundtoo

8 against 8 artillery tends to be costly unless you have a better attack and defense boost. You referred to 'minimal' losses in wave 1 so are you meaning they were slightly wounded or 1 was dead? Either way Agent indicated that he thought you'd have no damage on the 1st wave which means presumably your losses on the 2nd wave would of been less by having 8 fully healthy units.

You need to increase your attack/defense for attacking armies that would help you quite alot. One thing you could try if you haven't already would be using the tavern boost to increase your attack and using an attack potion to increase your attack for a certain length of time if you have any of them. Ultimately you need to build and level certain great buildings that help your attack/defense while attacking: Zues (cheapest to level as I recall but I could be misremembering. It is certainly the smallest of the attack GBs) and the Cathedral of Aachen. There is another attack/defense GB and a couple of other GBs that will be useful later on but they are too big and too costly for a player that is just starting out and I don't want to confuse you as to the easiest way forward for what you want to accomplish.

Sharmon the Impaler

Rogues are useful if your enemy can hit you on the first shot and they go first (each unit fires in a specific order) . If not then you are wasting a potential hit on the enemy before they even hit you once because rogues don't attack from long range and are sitting ducks until converted to base units. Having control over your line up is also a bonus to not using rogues. I am in SAM and exclusively use Sentinels because they go first and cover the whole board.I throw in 2 or 3 rogues once my attrition gets above 80. A mistake that I see often is letting the game AI position your units for a ranged attack (1 click attack) . Place your unit in range as far away from the target as possible and preferably behind a barricade that the enemy has to go around then attack. (2 click attack)

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

I faced the following 2-wave army in GE lvl 4 yesterday:
  • 4 heavy infantry + 4 crossbowmen
  • 8 trebuchets
I won the battle with 4 trebuchets + 4 rogues with minimal losses in the first wave (and could have done with zero losses if not for a silly miscalculation) after buying 10+ attempts to make sure the enemy's formation didn't put my units under the archers' range after the first movement. But in the second round, I lost 3 trebuchets and a rogue, despite playing relatively optimally (targeting every second trebuchet in the firing order).

Is there anything better I could have done/any better combinations I could've used?
Yes, either one Knight or one Champion and 7 Rogues. Don't auto battle the first fight. Put your Knight/Champion in the upper left corner and keep it there. Wait for the Crossbowmen to get near and hit them with the Rogues if you can. If they transform a couple of Rogues first, hit them with those and try to keep a couple of untransformed Rogues (at least) for the Heavy Infantry. Second wave, do the same with the Knight/Champion initially, but after you put him in the corner you can hit auto battle. (Although you can minimize losses in the second round by manually fighting.)