• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

20,000 coins and supplies, don't know how to advance

DeletedUser39299

I cant find specifics about advancing past a 300 person Bronze Age village without spending money.
I have plenty of coins and supplies, very few medals, most of my diamonds, 8 military units, loads of happiness.
I don't know what to do next.
I've conquered several territories and seem to be going against Iron age fighters that are usually impossible to beat. Not always.
Can't build a great building yet.
Can't join a guild.
Can't contribute any of my 24 forge points to anothers great building.
Don't trade much and dont have much to trade and don't know how to get it other than randomly wandering around my screen.

Is there no way to play free?

Super Catanian

Here's some advice I can give you:

Try to research Smithery. Once you do, you'll be able to join a Guild. Some Guilds with members in higher ages might be able to get you the goods that you may need.
Build Goods Buildings. You have 2 Goods Deposits for every age/era. Build only one Goods Building for each Deposit you acquire on the Continent Map.
Once you reach the Iron Age, stay there until you are absolutely ready to advance further. The Iron Age unlocks the Guild Expedition (as long as you are in a Guild), which can get you Coins, Supplies, Buildings of your age, troops of your age (including powerful Champions), goods, and even Diamonds!

By the way, what world do you play in?

Jern2017

There aren't many things that can't be accomplished without spending diamonds (which you buy with real money) in this game.

I've just reached the Modern Era. I can fight through all 64 encounters of the Guild Expedition, have an abundance of goods, coins and supplies, advanced age Great Buildings, plenty of special and event buildings and so on.

I have never spent a single penny on this game and I never will.

At the very beginning of the game, everything will go slowly for you. You'll need to stock up on the basics (coins, supplies, goods...) to be able to keep progressing.

While spending money will surely make some aspects of the game easier and quicker, you absolutely do not have to do it in order to have a well developed, successful city and most importantly, to be able to have fun.

So, don't worry, ask for advice on the forum, check the Guides section and enjoy the game!

DeletedUser38090

I cant find specifics about advancing past a 300 person Bronze Age village without spending money.
There's a very nice guide made by one of the old timers about the Bronze Age by Glarg: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...o-great-buildings-in-less-than-a-month.13426/

I have plenty of coins and supplies, very few medals, most of my diamonds, 8 military units, loads of happiness.
I don't know what to do next.
Send us a screenshot of your town and we could help you with city organization.

I've conquered several territories and seem to be going against Iron age fighters that are usually impossible to beat. Not always.
You're just not really good at fighting, to be blunt. A combination of spears and slingers can knock out all of the Iron Age provinces.

Can't build a great building yet.
Start guild hopping and you can get prints in no time
Can't join a guild.
You don't have smithery unlocked, so you need to do that.
Can't contribute any of my 24 forge points to anothers great building.
You'll need to research Architecture to unlock that.
Don't trade much and dont have much to trade and don't know how to get it other than randomly wandering around my screen.
You'll need to build goods buildings or use recurring quests to get goods.

Is there no way to play free?
I've never spent a diamond, but on one world, I went and did some hardcore guild hopping, and landed myself a St. Mark's Basilica in 28 hours of starting the town. It's pretty easy when you have mastered and understood the basics.

DeletedUser39299

Welcome to the forums!

Of course there is a way to play free. I've been doing that for over 2 years, and I haven't spent a dime.

Anyways, in what aspect are you having a lot of trouble in. Researching, perhaps?
Not as far as I know.
I researched as far as I can, as far as I can tell. The next items are greyed out.
?
thanks

DeletedUser39299

There aren't many things that can't be accomplished without spending diamonds (which you buy with real money) in this game.

I've just reached the Modern Era. I can fight through all 64 encounters of the Guild Expedition, have an abundance of goods, coins and supplies, advanced age Great Buildings, plenty of special and event buildings and so on.

I have never spent a single penny on this game and I never will.

At the very beginning of the game, everything will go slowly for you. You'll need to stock up on the basics (coins, supplies, goods...) to be able to keep progressing.

While spending money will surely make some aspects of the game easier and quicker, you absolutely do not have to do it in order to have a well developed, successful city and most importantly, to be able to have fun.

So, don't worry, ask for advice on the forum, check the Guides section and enjoy the game!

DeletedUser39299

Thanks.
I will not spend either, not on something like this.
I have been in a few weeks, have researched as far as it will let me.
won a dozen provinces, etc.

Can't do a quest or player to player or join a guild?

I don't know where to go from here.

DeletedUser39299

Here's some advice I can give you:

Try to research Smithery. Once you do, you'll be able to join a Guild. Some Guilds with members in higher ages might be able to get you the goods that you may need.
Build Goods Buildings. You have 2 Goods Deposits for every age/era. Build only one Goods Building for each Deposit you acquire on the Continent Map.
Once you reach the Iron Age, stay there until you are absolutely ready to advance further. The Iron Age unlocks the Guild Expedition (as long as you are in a Guild), which can get you Coins, Supplies, Buildings of your age, troops of your age (including powerful Champions), goods, and even Diamonds!

By the way, what world do you play in?
bronze age. hound....something.
Smithery is greyed out .
I don't have an option for a goods building yet.

Thank you, anything further would be great.

DeletedUser39299

There's a very nice guide made by one of the old timers about the Bronze Age by Glarg: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...o-great-buildings-in-less-than-a-month.13426/

I think i read this but will look again to make sure in the next few days.

Send us a screenshot of your town and we could help you with city organization.

I only know how on my phone?

You're just not really good at fighting, to be blunt. A combination of spears and slingers can knock out all of the Iron Age provinces.

I have beat them sometimes but am starting to have trouble with long range archers ....and whatever theyre called, lol.
I put my spearmen in the woods with my slingers behind them. try to put them on rocks. Dont know how to keep the from almost immediately being killed if someone looks at them crosseyed.

Start guild hopping and you can get prints in no time

Cant join a guild yet, i forget why.

You don't have smithery unlocked, so you need to do that.

It is greyed out at this point.

You'll need to research Architecture to unlock that.

It is also greyed out. ?

You'll need to build goods buildings or use recurring quests to get goods.

I can't find a goods building option nor recurring quests? what are they called? I also can't join PVP tournaments.

I've never spent a diamond, but on one world, I went and did some hardcore guild hopping, and landed myself a St. Mark's Basilica in 28 hours of starting the town. It's pretty easy when you have mastered and understood the basics.

I must not! I can't join a guild let alone hop?

DeletedUser37581

Not as far as I know.
I researched as far as I can, as far as I can tell. The next items are greyed out.
?
thanks
If you are unable to research further, it is because you lack the necessary resources to unlock the next technologies. Each technology lists the resources need to unlock that technology. On the PC, hover over the $ icon. Early on, the only resources needed are coins and supplies. Do you have a good stock of them?

Build houses to collect coins. Build Pottery or other production buildings to collect supplies.

DeletedUser29726

It sounds like you've put the FP in but not unlocked some of your most recent techs. You have to pay a coin/supply/good cost after spending all the FP in order to actually unlock the tech and activate the ones after it to spend FP in. If the unlock says there's a diamond cost, then other than one optional tech in EMA (multi-story houses), it means you're missing coins/supplies/goods and it'll let you buy them for that many diamonds. You can just make/trade for the goods instead.

Emberguard

I must not! I can't join a guild let alone hop?
Tech Tree is how you progress in the game. This screenshot has been altered to have only the specific techs needed for joining a guild

upload_2019-4-21_14-24-24.png

Once you have it researched you can join a guild through the main city view:
upload_2019-4-21_14-27-21.png

Click on either "join", "apply" to join the guilds you see there or "open Menu" see more guilds

Emberguard

It sounds like you've put the FP in but not unlocked some of your most recent techs. You have to pay a coin/supply/good cost after spending all the FP in order to actually unlock the tech and activate the ones after it to spend FP in. If the unlock says there's a diamond cost, then other than one optional tech in EMA (multi-story houses), it means you're missing coins/supplies/goods and it'll let you buy them for that many diamonds. You can just make/trade for the goods instead.
Ah, yeah. That would explain it.

@Norman Da Gear a visual on the process for unlocking tech for you:
unlock tech.png

DeletedUser38090

Alright @Norman Da Gear
After you posted the world you were in, I found what your city looks like, and yes, we have a lot to learn about good city organization.
JKIwEIc.png

One of the tell-tale signs of a poorly optimized city design, is a lot of dead space, messily circled in red:
MeNTcZZ.png

So this dead space shows that you aren't using the best out of the land given to you.

aW44tsj.png

You also placed your expansions (squared in red)rather poorly. You should always work your expansions in a neat square, or rectangle, especially in the beginning of this game, in order to make city layouts more efficient and easier since it's more viable to cut out the dead space through a rectangle than a blob with jutting arms.

yWB5o8V.png

So you have decorations, which are not really good in providing happiness since they give less when polished, and eat up the valuable aid actions from your friends, neighbors, and guild members for their smaller size. I would get rid of them and replace them with cultural buildings.

vQZym55.png

So you have one long stretch of road running on one side of the town hall, and your town hall is hiked up to the northern edge. This is rather inefficient because you are wasting the other side of the road connected to the town hall, when it can be connected to other buildings. Good road placement (as will be seen later) requires that roads stick out from the town hall with only 1 or 2 road pieces of the road actually touching the sides of the town.

smuCdX4.png

You also have roads (circled in red) that are bordering the edge of the town, which is a red flag for inefficient city layouts. You are wasting that valuable road segment by having it run on the edge of the town, and only having 1 side touching a building, and the other wasted by touching nothing.

FMoHIaV.png

Now this is a very problematic section of roads that are circled in red Your hunter and potteries in between those two rows are connected by two sides of roads, which is inefficient because you've wasted one side of road. Also, you have connected the hunter with the long side of road, which should be connected on the shorter side (as a general rule) to save up space. Your longhouse also breaks this "place roads on the short side" rule too. Also, general advice is that if you have a corner/turn in a street, put a 2x2 on the corner, as that reduces the amount of space wasted from the building covering two sides of street.

9K1KS3V.png

You also have stilt houses, and huts, which might produce more coin, but really, you want to stick with only chalets, as chalets provide a lot more population for their space, and while you can get more coins from guild hopping and other sources, you will always need more space, so stick to only houses with the highest population densities so you dedicate more space to production buildings, military buildings, etc.

6aZfdMl.png

Also, one last thing I forgot to mention is that you have this big loop, which is inefficient because you're just connecting buildings on two sides in multiple occasions. Avoid doing loops, as long winding roads generally are the better option.

So I did some rearranging with your town on the city planner to give you a general idea of how just how much space you save from optimizing your city layout.
knR2dXo.png

And it looks like with a more efficient city layout just by rearranging what we have here., we have about 4 expansions worth of extra space. How neat is that!

So here are a couple of pointers and general things you can learn just from this layout:
XaYleYG.png

So the most efficient city layouts consist of all sides of the town hall being used to have branched out roads, and each road touches the town hall with only 1 or 2 pieces of road.

Knb3uUW.png

Notice how we have 8 buildings (circled in black) in this layout only connected by one piece of road (sections labeled in red), and we have saved up a lot of space as a result.

RV7wMMp.png

And we also connected some of our buildings on the short end and saved up road as a result.

kiy5irG.png

And we placed our memorials away from roads and into inconvenient areas because they don't need a road. Later in the game, you don't want decorations, and dead space is best used then to put in watchfires or victory towers.

Hopefully this city layout stuff is beginning to make sense, and feel free to ask more questions if needed.

P.S. You'll need 2 spearfighter barracks and 2 slinger ranges to fight the Iron Age Continent Map.

@xivarmy also provided an excellent guide on city layouts here: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/a-model-for-evaluating-layouts.24204/

DeletedUser39299

wow. thanks for your time. I have some old Sim City road habits. From years ago. Weirdly, i had fixed some of that space since last checking this forum, but could do better, not realizing the town hall sides work themselves like a road. I really liked the tutorial you linked me too last time even thought I probably will never be so absolutely efficient in a game, but will do better.
I didn't know there was a city planner.

thanks for all that time and advice.

Ohhh. I found out why I wasn't advancing in research. One mobile I had started out doing research AND paying for it to complete it, then I began to not think or notice the paying. So , although they were done they werent finalized so to speak.
I used my pile of coins to pay them all off, but forge points and do more research. Now , Im mostly where I should be.

Thanks again.

DeletedUser39299

If you are unable to research further, it is because you lack the necessary resources to unlock the next technologies. Each technology lists the resources need to unlock that technology. On the PC, hover over the $ icon. Early on, the only resources needed are coins and supplies. Do you have a good stock of them?

Build houses to collect coins. Build Pottery or other production buildings to collect supplies.
Ohhh, I had tons. I was doing the research but forgetting or not realizing to pay, takes another click. They look done but are not really.

Thanks.

DeletedUser38090

I really liked the tutorial you linked me too last time even thought I probably will never be so absolutely efficient in a game, but will do better.
Yeah, it takes a lot of practice to get used to looking out for what makes the most efficient road layout. I'm still learning a couple of things everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

not realizing the town hall sides work themselves like a road.
I think you misunderstood. It's not /like/ a road but rather that only one square of road has to touch the town hall in order for a stretch of road to function.

That and you can attach from as many different places on the town hall as you want. You just don't need to have an entire side covered as the buildings only need to touch any road that's activated by the town hall