• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Amurica

PJS299

Well, happy fourth, y'all. I hope that some people had fun, like I did. Don't let a couple of people spoil your celebration. It started with happy fourth, and of course some people had to totally derail the thread and start arguing. Thanks JBG, and Mor Rioghain! Y'all really like to argue! I don't know why y'all don't like me. It seems everything I post y'all both argue with. Fireworks are fun, and that's that. If you use them properly, then they are a great way to celebrate. Thanks for arguing and making posts with no rhyme or reason! That seems to be y'alls MO.

Johnny B. Goode

Um... illegal substances and fireworks are very different things.
You stated how much Americans spend on fireworks as justification for using them even if they're illegal. Americans spend way more than that on illegal substances, so tell me again how they're different. It's your logic that's faulty, not mine.
Washington DC has a fireworks show for goodness’ sake!
Speaking of things that are very different. Fireworks shows are done by professionals and are legal. Individuals with no training and frequently no sense of safety/risk shooting off illegal fireworks in neighborhoods is not the same thing. At all.
The majority of people don't get injured, and just because a couple do doesn't mean that the people that use them properly should have their fun taken away.
A couple?!? Tens of thousands is not "a couple". Not to mention the property damage to other people who are not the ones shooting off fireworks, as well as to the people doing it. House fires, for one. And you know who pays for that? All of us that have insurance bear the cost.
You should have the freedom as long as it's on your property.
Dude, they don't stay on your property. They endanger everyone in the area, and sometimes beyond the immediate area. Especially in areas under drought conditions.

Graviton

Well, happy fourth, y'all. I hope that some people had fun, like I did. Don't let a couple of people spoil your celebration. It started with happy fourth, and of course some people had to totally derail the thread and start arguing. Thanks JBG, and Mor Rioghain! Y'all really like to argue! I don't know why y'all don't like me. It seems everything I post y'all both argue with. Fireworks are fun, and that's that. If you use them properly, then they are a great way to celebrate. Thanks for arguing and making posts with no rhyme or reason! That seems to be y'alls MO.

JB argues with everybody about everything, don't sweat it. We had a fun holiday as well, fireworks included. The whole neighborhood was setting them off, it was a great display. No house fires and no flying fingers, just like 99% of everybody else who shot them off.

UBERhelp1

And just because they're illegal where you live doesn't mean that they should be illegal everywhere. Washington DC has a fireworks show for goodness’ sake! Fireworks are fun when done properly, and many people use them to celebrate. The majority of people don't get injured, and just because a couple do doesn't mean that the people that use them properly should have their fun taken away. It's called capitalism. Buy what you want. You should have the freedom as long as it's on your property.
There's a big difference between a professionally put on fireworks display and an amateur guy with a lighter. I agree. A professional show is great! But do I trust my neighbor down the street to do it? Absolutely not. The problem is that unless you've got a freakin' farm or something, those fireworks can very easily leave your property, and you can't control what happens after that.

But that's the problem. Street racing is fun, regardless of if people get hurt. It sounds horrible, but the people that street race have fun, and if someone gets hurt, then they don't really care. That's why people shoot fireworks, because they are fun. If they weren't fun, then why would people do them? Like I said above, the majority of people don't get injured, and most people do them properly. They are fun.
So in other words, what you're saying is do what you think is fun, damn the laws?

We've had a local kid get killed by fireworks. I've had to clean up my yard from fireworks that neighbors, or even people a couple of streets over, have shot off. That's not just "having fun on your own property."

Darkest.Knight

The forum is supposed to be about the "game," this is a meaningless thread and is a total waste of space. It would be nice if "players" could stay on an appropriate topic.

PJS299

endanger everyone in the area
That's hilarious.
Speaking of things that are very different. Fireworks shows are done by professionals and are legal. Individuals with no training and frequently no sense of safety/risk shooting off illegal fireworks in neighborhoods is not the same thing. At all.
So only people that are professionally trained to read should be allowed to get books? If drugs and fireworks are the same, then why not everything else?

PJS299

I'm ending my part here. I'm not giving up, I just think everyone needs to chill out. You guys brought this thread way off-topic, and I don't like it. Next time, think before you post. Thanks, @Graviton, for providing info and clarity. The rest of y'all need to take a chill pill. You can keep arguing, but I'm not responding. You know my opinion.

If a moderator could lock this, it would be great, please and thank you.

Johnny B. Goode

That's hilarious.
Yeah, it's all fun and games until some idiot's bottle rocket or Roman candle ends up on your roof.
So only people that are professionally trained to read should be allowed to get books? If drugs and fireworks are the same, then why not everything else?
Obfuscation seems to be your M.O. Maybe you should try reading a few books instead of trying to defend ridiculous viewpoints on the internet.

PJS299

I'm going to break my promise real quick.

1. Confirmation bias
2. Where I live, fireworks are perfectly legal. People celebrate America here, because we love our country.

Ok. I'm not going to post anymore. I just had to say that, because a certain person keeps saying they are illegal. Like I said before, I'm not giving up, I just don't feel like arguing with anyone. I saw this quote, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down and then beat you with experience.” I'm not saying anyone is stupid, I just really like that quote and felt like sharing. Anyway, y'all know my opinion, so there's no need for me to waste brain cells on proving my point over and over. Thanks for driving this thread off-topic, and have a great life. Again, I'm (supposedly) not posting in here again, but it was fun to read your arguments, and watch you insult me. That Darwin one was hilarious, and you know it is fun discussing safety with future Darwin Award recipients. :cool: You just had to add that emoji in there. lol 10-year-old.

Sorry, I don't mean to insult. Treat others the way you want to be treated, you know. I hate how people always argue about such trivial things, though it is kind of funny sometimes. Anyway, goodbye. Not posting in this thread again (allegedly).

Again, moderators, if you could lock this thread it would be nice, because it obviously isn't going to get back on topic or serve any purpose. Thanks! (You probably won't, but still).

And no bad feelings. I've got no beef with you, I think. You just hate me, but whatever.

Johnny B. Goode

I hate how people always argue about such trivial things,
I don't think people getting their hands blown off is trivial to them. And I think your compatriot who made the ridiculous statement that the fun was worth the risk would change his tune real quick if he actually suffered a fireworks injury.
Where I live, fireworks are perfectly legal. People celebrate America here, because we love our country.
It has little to do with loving your country, it has more to do with whether you have respect for your fellow citizens...and yourself. And people who claim to love their country, yet have no respect for fellow citizens are fooling themselves...and no one else.

Expletive Deleted

So. Just to clarify.
Someone that uses legal fireworks in an area they are allowed.
While understanding the risks involved and accepting the personal responsibility that requires.

Is somehow irresponsible, disrespectful and some kind of fool.

Sounds like you definitely understand the concept of the holiday.

Johnny B. Goode

To clarify my position, using small firecrackers and things like sparklers on your own property, supervised by a responsible adult (a rare thing these days) is okay by me. Using anything that shoots off, like a bottle rocket, fountain, or Roman candle, is what I object to. Do yourself all the harm you want. Just don't put the rest of us at risk. Common sense and respect.