• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Amurica

PJS299

Happy Independence Day!

I hope you all have an amazing day, and enjoy the celebrations. I pray that our country stays free, and that we will still be the leader of the free world. Happy 4th y'all!

Johnny B. Goode

Due to the overuse, misuse, and illegal use of fireworks, this has become my least favorite holiday. I much prefer the summer bookends of Memorial Day and Labor Day.

PJS299

Meh. Fireworks are a fun way to celebrate. Unless you're in California, then they're fine. But you do have to clean up the scraps afterward... Where I live, people shoot them off from June 20th to July 10th. It's pretty crazy. They are overused, but I laugh when I hear fireworks on June 20th at 3 AM. I haven't heard of much misuse or illegal use, though that might just be where I live...

UBERhelp1

What kills me is people shooting them off a) in residential areas with lots of homes around, and b) at 3 in the afternoon. Like, if you're going to be an idiot, at least shoot off the fireworks when you can actually see them.

PJS299

I live in a GIANT neighborhood. One of the biggest in the state. There are so many subdivisions I can't remember the count. Anyway, people shoot them off all around here. People complain on the app "Nextdoor" (neighborhood social platform), that they can't sleep, and they rant about how the HOA needs to do better. In the end, the normal neighbors and I don't care, but some of the Karen's call the police and start fights and things. It's funny to watch. Nobody is stupid enough to shoot them off during the day, though. We also hear gunshots occasionally, which doesn't make sense. There is no place to hunt around the area, and they all have fancy ($900,000) houses with crazy security. I mean, I have a gun, but most people don't. And I don't randomly go out and just shoot for no reason. :D My neighborhood is the place where everything is paved and nice, yet everyone has 90,000 dollar trucks with all the lifts and suspension and accessories. They speed down the main road, and I just make fun of them. When it actually comes to off-roading, even with those big trucks, they probably wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

It's pretty crazy...

Johnny B. Goode

Meh. Fireworks are a fun way to celebrate. Unless you're in California, then they're fine. But you do have to clean up the scraps afterward... Where I live, people shoot them off from June 20th to July 10th. It's pretty crazy. They are overused, but I laugh when I hear fireworks on June 20th at 3 AM. I haven't heard of much misuse or illegal use, though that might just be where I live...
My wife is a nurse in a major metropolitan hospital's surgery department. On the night/morning of July 3/4 they were working all night on people who had injured themselves (mostly hand injuries) from illegal fireworks. Including one guy today that had blown his left hand completely off to the wrist. Fireworks, other than public/commercial displays, are for the most part illegal in most of the metro area. Google fireworks accidents and see what comes up. Last year more than 10,000 fireworks related injuries treated in ERs and 11 fireworks related deaths. Not a fun way to celebrate.

PJS299

My wife is a nurse in a major metropolitan hospital's surgery department. On the night/morning of July 3/4 they were working all night on people who had injured themselves (mostly hand injuries) from illegal fireworks. Including one guy today that had blown his left hand completely off to the wrist. Fireworks, other than public/commercial displays, are for the most part illegal in most of the metro area. Google fireworks accidents and see what comes up. Last year more than 10,000 fireworks related injuries treated in ERs and 11 fireworks related deaths. Not a fun way to celebrate.
But they are a fun way to celebrate. That's why people still do them, even when some get injured.
Regardless of if they are illegal in your area, they still are a fun way to celebrate. That's why America spent $2.3 billion on fireworks.

Expletive Deleted

My fingers are worth the risk of a good time.

UBERhelp1

But they are a fun way to celebrate. That's why people still do them, even when some get injured.
Regardless of if they are illegal in your area, they still are a fun way to celebrate. That's why America spent $2.3 billion on fireworks.
My fingers are worth the risk of a good time.
And this is the exact reason that so many people get injured. It's like saying that street racing is fun even though some people get hurt. If you want to race, go to the track. Don't endanger yourself (and especially other people) for a kick. If you want to shoot a gun, go to a range and learn how to use it properly. If you want to shoot off fireworks, it's probably best to not do it fiddling in the middle of the night while drinking.

Johnny B. Goode

Replace "fireworks" with "illegal substances" and see if your logic holds up. :rolleyes:

Expletive Deleted

That is the single worst post I've seen in 8+ years on this Forum. Imagine trying to play FoE with one hand...or less. What a maroon!
I can work it with the crabclaw.

And this is the exact reason that so many people get injured. It's like saying that street racing is fun even though some people get hurt. If you want to race, go to the track. Don't endanger yourself (and especially other people) for a kick. If you want to shoot a gun, go to a range and learn how to use it properly. If you want to shoot off fireworks, it's probably best to not do it fiddling in the middle of the night while drinking.

I won't disagree that it's "best" or "proper" to do things safely and responsibly. But I'd rather live with risks than die bored

Graviton

Exactly. Just ignore the wet blankets here and enjoy your fireworks. The thread was started just to say Happy 4th and it got rained on, as usual.

PJS299

Replace "fireworks" with "illegal substances" and see if your logic holds up. :rolleyes:
Um... illegal substances and fireworks are very different things. There's a reason why I said fireworks are fun, and not drugs are fun. Neighborhoods don't say, "come to the green space for our 5th annual 4th of July drug show!" They do fireworks. So actually, your logic doesn't work.

And just because they're illegal where you live doesn't mean that they should be illegal everywhere. Washington DC has a fireworks show for goodness’ sake! Fireworks are fun when done properly, and many people use them to celebrate. The majority of people don't get injured, and just because a couple do doesn't mean that the people that use them properly should have their fun taken away. It's called capitalism. Buy what you want. You should have the freedom as long as it's on your property.

PJS299

But that's the problem. Street racing is fun, regardless of if people get hurt. It sounds horrible, but the people that street race have fun, and if someone gets hurt, then they don't really care. That's why people shoot fireworks, because they are fun. If they weren't fun, then why would people do them? Like I said above, the majority of people don't get injured, and most people do them properly. They are fun.