• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Army of what?

DeletedUser27062

If any of you went to my city, you'd see that I put most of my focus in farming goods and trading. It's not a large city by any means, but I have virtually no defense and no army. I obviously need to put something together but I'm not sure where to start.

Halp!

DeletedUser25273

Artillery, Long Range units. It depends somewhat on the age, and somewhat what people are attacking with as to what makes a good defense. If you are getting attacked regularly, you also want to change things around frequently so attackers can't adjust there attacking force to do best against your defense.

DeletedUser27062

I'm actually not getting attacked very much at all. But I can't keep using goods to negotiate lands. I can't keep up with the demand. I need to fight too.

DeletedUser25273

Building an army to Fight offensively is a bit different than building a good defensive army. Building an offensive army will definitely help your defense though.

First bit of advice is that it is good to have an assortment of offensive units. You can normally do ok without the long range units, but you want an assortment of the other 4. For the continent and GE, you get too see what you will be fighting, so choosing the right units is important.

Second, while perhaps not as important in EMA, soon you will be reaching the point where having a reasonable offensive boost gets very important. The first few percent don't do much, but by the time you get to +30% you will start to see a difference, particularly in the damage you take. In EMA you should have a Zeus that you are starting to level, which by itself won't do much until it has lots of levels, but the Cathedral of Aachen is just becoming available, and together they will give you enough to start to make a difference.

One side point, if you are looking for an army to primarily do the continent at a reasonably slow pace, and you do some GE, you may be able to pick up enough unattached units there to not need all 4 basic barracks, but us a few unattached units that you get as rewards.

One other big thing, more for GE than the continent, is to try to win a Rogue Hideout in an event. Rogues are possible one of the most valuable units in the game. The continent AI understands them, and fights against them better, but even there, adding a couple of rogues to your army can boost its power a lot.

DeletedUser27062

Hmmmm....I don't have Zeus yet. Right now all I have are 2 archery ranges and I'm working on building a ballista camp. I do have a champions retreat though!

DeletedUser25273

As I said, in EMA itself, the Zeus isn't that important, but as you move up it becomes more important for fighting. (In fact, the first two levels tend to have ZERO benefit to your army as +6% doesn't add anything until your unit has a attack or defense of 9 (6% x 8 = 0.48 which gets rounded down).

At your era, Champions are really just slightly improved fast units, and the biggest improvement is the Chivalry bonus, which you only get with just a single champion in your army.

You are talking about Iron age units, and unless you are still very early in EMA, you likely have some better units in EMA. Mercenaries make a good core for an army (unless the opponent has lots of heavies). Archers vs Mounted Archers is always the debate, Archers do more damage than Mounted Archers, but Mounted Archers have a mobility that is rare in the game. I found the early artillery pieces were not that great for an attacking army as they didn't do that much damage and are very fragile. One or two might be able to serve as cleanup in an army.