• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Attack/Attack Defense Ratio

blueskydwg

I've done a little searching for anything on this topic but didn't find anything.
If you know of a prior discussion please direct me to that thread.

I'm wondering what might be an effective attack to attack defense ratio.
Once Inno began to introduce high level event buildings that have attack defense I've been working to improve that part of my game.
With the addition of the Fiore building I'm now close to 2:1.
My plan is to continue to focus on attack defense, but not sure where the best level might be.

Thoughts? Discussion?

Johnny B. Goode

My priority is always on attack for attacking army. That being said, if something is available and I have room for it (or there's something less productive I can replace) I will also always place buildings with defense for attacking army. Am I aiming for a certain ratio? No. The pitfall there is that it puts a thought in the back of your head that you have to find more defense every time you find more attack. The best approach, IMHO, is to always add both when possible and not worry about what the ratio between them is.

blueskydwg

Something else to consider is how much any new boost is going to impact your current level.
A 20% boost if you are currently at 100 is massive. But 20% when you are at 1,800 is not that much.
So that's another reason I'm focusing right now on attack defense. The change there is a greater percent change than on the attack.
Food for thought.

Ebeondi Asi

I believe no one has a real answer. all the answers are based on theories and none on actually testing the troops with varies ratios. All the main liners (and actually that is just a handful of original players) say 2:3 or 1:2 but they All are based on old times and self justified theories when no one have much attack army Defense. not one person had 1:1 available to try out.
Let alone 2:3 ratios.
I have 2000%D and around 1750% Attack in three cities..Just happened that way
My general desire is to have a 1:1 balance. (mainly because there is no guild to really know)
Anyway I belive the old notion of 2:3 and 1:2 are not valid. They are just old players stories. Nor are my notions of 1:1 valid because that is a guess too!
And until someone with a lot ot time and several cites tries out what is all possible in the real game and keeps track until statisticallly valid samples have been kept.. it is fantasy conjecture.

As for adding 20% or 30%... yes it matters even at my levels. When it is a matter of a few more fights instead of having to swap in GbG every percent matters.. every last one.
And about fighting.. which troops you use also matters for the ratio. If you use late moving troops? or first to move? Who manages to hit first is what matters. So the distance they can hit.. (and why Hover Tanks are so popular, because nothing can hit them in the first round. (at least until the highest Eras) )
If yo use late moving troops, they go well with Rogues.. If you use early/ first to move troops Rogues are a huge mistake. Anyway that stuff also intertwines with attack defense ratios. and why I think it is near impossible to claim "this ratio" players champion, fits all.

Last edited:

blueskydwg

Make sense - there really isn't a one answer fits all.
I would like to get to 2 attack to 1 attack/defense - just because it feels right.
To completely ignore attack/defense is shortsighted - which I think many of us have done since that feature has really just been introduced by Inno in recent event buildings

I'm in SAV in main world, and FE in Beta.
In main I'm using 3 power dragons and 5 rogues in GbG - unless I hit 8 ghost busters at high attrition - then I go with 8 cannons.

It "seems" that as I've added attack/defense I can get my attrition levels up - usually on auto up to 90 and even 100. As I add attack/defense it should go higher. We'll see.

Agent327

Make sense - there really isn't a one answer fits all.
I would like to get to 2 attack to 1 attack/defense - just because it feels right.
To completely ignore attack/defense is shortsighted - which I think many of us have done since that feature has really just been introduced by Inno in recent event buildings

I'm in SAV in main world, and FE in Beta.
In main I'm using 3 power dragons and 5 rogues in GbG - unless I hit 8 ghost busters at high attrition - then I go with 8 cannons.

It "seems" that as I've added attack/defense I can get my attrition levels up - usually on auto up to 90 and even 100. As I add attack/defense it should go higher. We'll see.

A big factor is the age you are in. You are in SAV. Energy Cannons start first, which is a factor. You are dealing with keen eye. AO is a factor as well. Wounded units can do less damage, so what you need most of all for your units is attack. Forget about the defense part. Even 3 on 1 will be no problem.

Ebeondi Asi

A big factor is the age you are in. You are in SAV. Energy Cannons start first, which is a factor. You are dealing with keen eye. AO is a factor as well. Wounded units can do less damage, so what you need most of all for your units is attack. Forget about the defense part. Even 3 on 1 will be no problem.
I am in SAM. IN PVP I can fight Venus. and yes Energy cannons. If I did not have a huge defense, I would be toast. Instead I beat them, even though Venus Energy cannons shoot first. (all eight before my Sentinels get to fire once.) So..tell me again how I need no defense?

Ebeondi Asi

seems fair game to respond. You want it to be private, make it a private message. otherwise it is free to discuss.

Emberguard

I do 1:1 purely to keep it simple. I don't have any logical or mathematical formula for "yes, this is the amount you should have at this ratio" beyond observing the results of levelling Great Buildings and facing against GBG AI.

If we did a thorough examination on the math for how attack and defense boost effects stats, then we'd have a definitive answer. Probably easiest to use Stickmen for the math if you were to test now given you have those at the start prior to the castle boosts swinging into effect.

One thing I will say though, there's always a minimum 1 damage no matter what your stats are. So if you ever reach a point where you can't take anymore damage then you're better off raising stats of Attack anyway

Ebeondi Asi

One thing I will say though, there's always a minimum 1 damage no matter what your stats are. So if you ever reach a point where you can't take anymore damage then you're better off raising stats of Attack anyway

Yes.The one place it can be tested in GbG. as your attrition rises, the damage will too. If you are at your max attrition and still getting only a few damage. you know you have enough defense. It is kind of hard to know, mainy because of all the different attacking troops in the lineup, but for high attack numbers it may be the only place you can see. and should be able to be averaged out some. Plus the AI is not an exact thing. it does have variables.. and who is going to manual battle in GbG?
The other place on might be able to see (if your attack and defense are not super high already) is PvP the plus there is you can fight the exact same opponemnt over and over, and thus keep track if how tihngs are going. and in PvP it is really asy to manual battle anytime one wants to.
It still is hard to do well
(For myself i probably could use more Attack army defense (Now 2000%) since fighting high powered Venus in PvP I am losing two troops most of the time. So even 2000%D is not enough for SAM vs Venus with high values. If it really was only one unit of damage from each Venus hit I woud think I would be only losing one Sentinel troop. at most. (the attack bonus from Venus troops should figure in too. but that just makes my head start spinning. As does any real attempt to figure out what is the right amount 'in theory'...

Lord Pest

No matter how high your defense is you will lose at least 1 hit point even if a lowly spearman hits your SAV unit. So offense % is more important as it will get you more 1 hit kills.

Ebeondi Asi

So offense % is more important as it will get you more 1 hit kills.
that is very related to who moves first or who can hit first. all matters of Era, and the other stats of each individual troop. If I go first and can hit your guy first, your attack stat is meaningless. only your defense stat matters to your survival.
(at this point only a few Era troops are a sure bet to go first and be able to hit too, on the first move)
So if you are in Venus Era and use Energy Cannon (they move first) you may get away with little defense. Until you are up against other Energy Cannon that have good defense! Because no matter how big your attack number, a strong defense number is going to beat you.Since it ruins your one shot kill strategy.
But I agree in general it may work as a strategy. but it is a weak strategy. just like using all cannon. it may work most of the time. but the moment you are up against flying troops (in most Eras) you automatically lose and the attacker has zero damage to boot!. LOL

Last edited:

Darkest.Knight

I've never paid much attention to def, found early that it takes way too much to increase the number of hits required to die. I'm up to 90 attritions w/o too much trouble, just coincidentally i've been running def at 60% of attack. I don't think my def will ever be equal to my attack, I would rather add extra attack. We all have our opinions about how we should progress, having lost to many players w/utlra def I decided they sacrificed too much attack for def, higher number of hits to kill me and way to slow to ever do high numbers of fights. Since my goal for "winning the game" is to be rank1 I'm pretty much obligated to be a fighter, like it or not it is where u can the get the most game pts. Still slowly moving up in rank, rank224 at the moment but pretty slow now, found that higher rank players pay more attention to rank and more often than not respond when passed. Been up to 222 but they "said" buzz off and moved ahead w/conviction, it'll be a while before I advance again. There's a slow poke about 3M ahead of me that I'll catch in a few days.