• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Bait and switch...

LaGoulue

The CNN website has an ad for FoE...the pic shows a 3D rendering of a city...I wonder how many people have been disappointed that it's a 2D world...

Johnny B. Goode

The CNN website has an ad for FoE...the pic shows a 3D rendering of a city...I wonder how many people have been disappointed that it's a 2D world...
And you think this is unique to FoE?!? I have seen countless ads for other games that had nothing to do with actual gameplay. One even said "features shown are not yet a part of the game." I have occasionally been sucked in by these deceptive ads only to find the actual game bore no resemblance to what was advertised. It's the way of the world, unfortunately.

Dursland

Where is my steel bird bringing me supplies to my city?

Seriously FoE is such a good game, they don't need to resort to deceptive ads like that. There's a lot better things they can show.

xivarmy

It's pretty standard across the (mobile) gaming industry to engage in this atm : you get ads while playing one game for another game and go "hey that looks interesting" - only to download it and find out "the ad does not resemble gameplay at all" - the times when it's even a *minor* part of gameplay are actually the exception. Sometimes even being a completely different genre than depicted (we advertised a cute little puzzle game ; turns out it's another clone of those P2W army games) - nothing as minor as "this is just a 2d projection not a real 3d game!".

At least the robo-dactyl picture doesn't look like anything more than a flavorful steam-punky picture :p I don't imagine anyone would develop an expectation that that's an actual gameplay footage :)

And hey, when you've got turturrets in industrial age (not that most players would), you even kinda can feel like that :)

stymie of Suwannee

Don’t break my suspension of disbelief. My WW1 troops having smited strange monsters underwater seems more likely than my WW2 troops plugging into the internet to fight CyberNinjas and MechaSamurais, via bus port, I presume. They sound like very dumb movies. Or very good movies. But probably both. (As the Armored Cars floated through the coral and kelp field, everyone cheered,”Blaa-bl-bl-bl!”)

LaGoulue

Shadow Legends is the same...a beautiful pic of a female character who ends up being nothing more than a fighter in a line, only able to move forward and back. You never see any of the characters up close so the beautiful detail is worthless. I'm judging by a youtube posting but it seems one step above a board game.