• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Basics of battle

DeletedUser28180

I am new to this.

I can't find a simple walkthrough of how battles work. I know it goes in turns and you move your fighters according to how far they can go in the green blocks. But, how do you get them to fight the enemy? In particular, how do you get archers to fire? Do they do it automatically? I can get my hand to hand fighters next to the enemy and fighting happens but I don't know how.

The explanations talk about lots of complicated ratings. I got the tip that in the Iron Age it is a good idea to have 8 archers in your army and you will beat most opposition. I tried this and got beaten easily!!

DeletedUser26965

I got the tip that in the Iron Age it is a good idea to have 8 archers in your army and you will beat most opposition. I tried this and got beaten easily!!

Of course because that's a bad tip. The best tip I can give you, if you are defending, is there's always someone out there that can beat you. The best tip I can give you, if you are attacking, is remember there is a RNG aspect to the damage, the following is the most important paragraph regarding battles and will always be better to remember than "these 'X' units are da best/worst blah blah blah" advice you'll commonly run into from people:

"Each unit has a maximum of ten life points. The amount of damage points an attack deals is calculated using the current life points and the attack value of the attacker, the defense value of the attacked, modifiers for terrain, other bonuses (some units get bonuses if they fight against units of a particular type) and a random factor. Thus, a unit with a high attack rating deals more damage, and an uninjured unit inflicts more than a wounded one. On the other hand, high defense means good armor – the unit takes less damage. If a unit loses all its life points, it is destroyed."
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Army_and_battles