• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Best Town Hall Location

• Thread starter DeletedUser6172
  • Start date

DeletedUser6172

If you click on your building menu, and select a piece of roadway, you'll be able to see the scope of your entire city.
  • The dark green grid is 40x40 and, on the initial load screen all cities are centered edge to edge horizontally (without consideration of the Action popup) and are centered vertically between the top edge of the profile bar and the top of the screen. You can easily look at the chopped off corners of your own city, to verify this positioning.
  • The bright green grid is initially 16x16, and it's offset 8 squares toward the upper left of the 40x40 grid. The lower corner of the Town Hall, for a brand new city, is exactly in the center of the 40x40 grid.
  • Your Town Hall cannot be motivated nor polished, so there's NO NEED for it to occupy valuable real estate on your initial load screen. Immediately drag it up into the top corner of your 16x16 grid, and then add your first several sectors above the Town Hall so that you can rather quickly get your Town Hall either mostly or entirely off of the initial load screen.
  • Military buildings and Goods buildings can't be motivated nor polished either, so parking them up against the two exposed sides of your Town Hall makes really good sense.
While we're on the subject:
  • Burying your Great Buildings under the action menu makes a lot of sense.
  • Placing your Cultural buildings along to lower right edge of the 16x16 grid also makes sense, as you'll probably need some polishes for a while, but you can gradually shift your Cultural buildings off the rightmost side of your screen once you're able to lock in the 120% productivity bonus, and no longer need the polishes.
CONCLUSION

Your city will be far more VISITOR FRIENDLY if you reserve the PRIME REAL ESTATE on your initial load screen for your "best visitor clicks."
  • Immediately move your Town Hall to the top corner of the initial 16x16 grid, and build upwards until it doesn't occupy any of your prime real estate. Likewise for Military buildings and Goods buildings.
  • Let the Action Menu popup cover your Great Buildings.
  • Place large Cultural Buildings along the right edge of your city where they'll be handy to polish for a while, but will eventually disappear off to the right of your screen.
  • Finally - don't piss off your visitors by hiding decorations, with FAKE STARS, behind your large Cultural buildings.

DeletedUser4844

This seems like it fits more in the guides section then the questions section. No sign of a question here.

Also, although this is good advice if your primary focus in building your city is to maximize the ease with which visitors can motivate/polish your stuff, it is not necessarily the best advice in terms of maximizing the efficient use of space in your city. More specifically, in general, it's a good idea to place the largest buildings at the edges of your cities, and try to have rows and columns line up as well as possible, in order to minimize road space necessary to connect everything. Also, if you do find you have a few extra spaces you can't efficiently use which are behind a great building, then placing decorations there may tbe the only way you CAN use that space.

DeletedUser6172

My question, for which I could not find an answer anywhere in any forum, was about the positioning of the initial load screen.
Once I had sorted out that question, the ideal location of the Town Hall came along for the ride.

Great Buildings can't be Motivated in any case, so you missed my point. The confusion arises when a hidden decoration creates a FAKE STAR behind a large CULTURAL building.

The guides, which I did look at, are all substantially more elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4844

Great Buildings can't be Motivated in any case, so you missed my point. The confusion arises when a hidden decoration creates a FAKE STAR behind a large CULTURAL building.
I missread what you were talking about, yes. Even so, you might still put decorations behind cultural buildings for a similar reason. Sometimes you can't fit the culural building so it fills up all the space in your city, and so there is a gap there. As you said, where possible, it is better to place the decoration in front of a cultural building then behind it, for precisely the reason you mentioned.

On a further note, the latest announcement of a new update stated that motivated buildings will now have a star, just like culural buildings do, so in the future placing decorations behind buiildings which can be motivated will also be a bad idea if you can avoid it.