• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Booby Traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser34111

Idea:
Booby Traps:

The idea is that city owners can find an/or purchase upgradeable booby traps that they can place on buildings. The presence of these booby traps would be completely hidden from the view of everyone except the building owner. These booby traps will start with a 10% chance of going off and will be upgradeable/levelable up to a 100% chance of going off by the owner. The traps and upgrades should be inexpensive and easily available. When a player attacks another player’s city and tries to plunder a building that has a booby trap the traps percent determines if the trap goes off. If the trap fails, the plunderer gets to steal the goods. If the trap goes off the plunderer looses 200% of what he/she was attempting to steal and their attacking army is wiped out.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
There was a similar idea moved to the unformatted ideas. I am attempting to properly format my idea as well as expand on the idea to improve it.

Reasons:

There are several reasons:
1. Since this is somewhat of a historical game it would not be uncommon for a conquered country, province, city, town, or village to leave behind booby traps as they fled just before the city fell. The conquerors would be aware that this was a possibility, but not aware of the exact location of these traps. This would enhance the game by bringing that same mystery to this game.
2. As the game stands now, it is heavily skewed in favor of the attacker/plunderer and the defender is left with very little recourse. City shields are prohibitively expensive, especially for new/low-era players and the effectiveness of defense bonuses is not very apparent. Standard cliché responses like “collect on time” or “fight back” or “level your GBs” are really not helpful and not everyone has the luxury of being able to live their lives according to a schedule set by a video game.

3. This will level the playing field when it comes to attacking/plundering.

4. This will also cause anyone who wants to attack/plunder to take a moment and consider whether it is worth the risk.

5. This will add a unique dimension to the game that mimics real life conquering of a city

Explain why you think this is either a necessary or enhancing addition to the game.

It is necessary to the game because at present there is no recourse for those being plundered. Generally, they are plundered because their preferred game play style is different from those who seem to derive some kind of enjoyment out of stealing from others.

While a plunderer may say what is 5 FPs, that same player may have been plundered 10 times for a total of 50 FPs or they may be early enough in the game that they only produce 20 FPs a day and people steal 10 of them, how are they to make any progress if everything they have is being stolen?

Details:
Base level booby traps can be found in incidents, given as quest rewards, given as event rewards, purchased with FPs or even built by a new goods or military building introduced during Iron age when attacking/plundering is introduced to the game.

The basics of how it would work is that the city owner acquires booby traps with a base-level probability going off of 10%. The city owner attaches the traps to any building they like kind of like a building upgrade kit is used now.

Each new booby trap is obtained as a selection kit where the person using it can either choose to get a new level 1 booby trap (10% probability of detonating) or can upgrade an existing booby trap (each upgrade adds another 10% probability of detonating to the traps probability of going off) to a maximum of a 100% chance of detenaantion.

The booby traps and their level of probability would be completely invisible to everyone except the city owner

If an attacker defeats the city defenders, they are presented with the option to plunder

If they choose to try and plunder a building protected by a trap the traps current probability score is run.

If the trap fails, the plunderer gets to steal the items they are after

If the trap is tripped, the plunderer’s entire attacking army is killed and they lose 200% of what they were trying to steal. For example. They try to plunder a Terrace Farm for 5 FPs, the trap is triggered. The plunderer’s attacking army is wiped out and they are penalized 200% (10 FPs in this example) for detonating the trap.

The trap automatically resets in case a different player attempts to plunder that same building

If a plunderer does not have sufficient FPs, specific goods, or supplies in their inventory to cover their loss when a trap detonates the game will run a negative total.

Before FPs, specific goods, or supplies can be added to their respective counters to create a positive balance any negatives will have to be reconciled by the player earning more of that item.
In the event that the negative is in FPs, the player may at their choice opt to reconcile the negative from a balance of FPs they have in their inventory, collecting their city, or waiting for the 1 FP/hour timer to reconcile the negative.

Visual Aids:
I do not have any visual aids, but I think the idea is pretty clear without them

Balance:
This will positively impact game play for those that suffer at the hands of plunderers and will bring much needed balance to the game. No longer will plunderers be able to take advantage of other players without potential cost to themselves.

Abuse Prevention:
The only possible exploit for abuse is if a city owner takes the time and effort to booby trap every plunderable building to 100%. This would effectively negate his ability to be plundered. However, the number of buildings and the level at which the city owner traps them at is controlled by the city owners’ own tolerance for dealing with plunderers. Some may trap every building to 100% and if that happens plunderers will learn not to try and steal from that city. More than likely though city owners will not trap every building to 100% and instead will only trap buildings that they specifically want to protect and even then may only trap them at a probability of less than 100%

Summary:
Undoubtedly, those who really enjoy plundering will object to this as it will bring the game into balance and could cost them instead of rewarding them with nearly free rewards. However, this would be a benefit to far more people than it would upset. Some questions that may still need to be answered would include:

Can the coding for this be done similar to bolt-on code that is used now to upgrade building?

BruteForceAttack

Let me correct the Balance Section.

To Balance :) : The plunderer will get an option to nuke the city, These nukes will start with a 10% chance of going off and will be upgradeable/levelable up to a 100% chance of going off by the owner. The nukes and upgrades should be inexpensive and easily available. If the nuke triggers and plunderer wins then he will be able to loot 2 buildings. If the buildings are not ready, the loser will lose fps/goods etc from inventory, if the loser doesn't have enough of the resources then system will track the -ve balance as well....and so on.

Nicholas002

counter proposal: inverse booby trap that is upgradable just like the one you describe, but you put it on your neighbor’s buildings. When it trips, the plunderer gets 5x the plunder, and the defending army units are wiped out. This would bring more balance to the game, as it would encourage people to get better at playing forge of empires, and not try to whimp out, by crying on the forum when they are getting outplayed.

Agent327

Booby traps have been suggested several times before. You can find them not only in the unformatted section.

While the idea is interesting, it is on the Do Not Suggest List in more than one way.

I'll move it to Discussions to keep it open.

Falconwing

Level the playing field? Do you know how hard it is to plunder a competent player? Very hard.

The attacker takes all the risk. Not only do we have to attack and win, we have to do so without incurring too many troop loses. Defending troops don't die or even get wounded past the attack. Then, we have to get lucky and find something worth plundering in the first place. We can't plunder anything that has been motivated. Can't plunder GB's or gawdamn WW's. We have to get lucky (or check back often) to find the sweet spot when stuff is ready, but not already collected by the owner. The majority of my plunder is 4hr houses and the occasional 8hr fp. (although, I have been on a train robbing tear lately, call me Jesse James)

You know what really levels the field? Attacking them back and plundering them.

DevaCat

This idea is not necessary to the game, and people are not getting plundered because their preferred game play style is different, and there are indeed recourses for those being plundered.

They just will not do what is necessary. They are plundered because they suck at the game, and instead of taking good advice and learning how to deal with it they come here with craptastic ideas about how to change the game to make it easier for them to continue to suck at it without them exerting any effort at all.

I have an idea. If plundering is so awfully disturbing, why not delete this game and find a nice safe little farm game instead?

Graviton

A tl,dr proposal based upon a single, faulty asssertion: "It is necessary to the game because at present there is no recourse for those being plundered. "

False. Do some more reading.

"... those who really enjoy plundering will object to this ..."

Well, yeah. But even people like me, who rarely plunder, will object to it because it's based on a faulty assertion and places far too much value on the paltry amount of goods/coins/supplies/FPs that are lost to plunder.

DeletedUser34111

Wow, talk about a lot of hostility and negativity!

I thought that this was a place to discuss new ideas and find ways to improve the game, apparently I was wrong.

My idea may not be perfect as it is and may require refinement, but the hostility in some of these replies is not something I expected.

To address some of the statements above:

I know it is in the unformatted section, that is why I did my best to format it properly.
I looked through the do not suggest list and there was nothing that I found specifically about booby traps
The attacker may risk losing a few troops, but what heavy plunderer does not have high-level attack buildings and Alcatraz, this is an invalid statement. The person being plundered loses way more than the plunderer. Further, the game is skewed in favor of the plunderer and while there may be some minimal recourse i.e. city shields, they are prohibitively expensive especially for new or low-age players. There really is no other real recourse a player has to protect themselves, thus the game is out of balance.
People are not plundered because they suck at the game. This ridiculous statement assumes that in order to play and/or be successful in this game one has to be a daily plunderer. That is a false statement and a ridiculous argument. Lots of people play this game lots of different ways for lots of different reasons. to assume someone sucks at playing because they play differently than you is rude, arrogant, and childish.
Why shouldn't the person being plundered have the chance of profiting off the plunderer? This is simply the inverse of what is currently being done. To make it fair, both parties need to stand a chance to win or lose.
Throughout history invading armies have had to deal with booby traps in conquered territory, why should this be any different.
Players who whine about others who want to improve the attack/plunder metric just because the idea is different need to grow up. You complain when people whine about being plundered and you whine when someone comes up with an idea to balance that aspect of the game. What you are really saying is I am inflexible and unwilling to consider any changes that might interfere with my own personal play style.

You all can continue to whine and cry about this or you can grow up and we can work together to come up with a better solution to improve the game. My idea was never intended to be the final solution, just a first draft for discussion and constructive criticism. Apparently, this group is incapable of constructive criticism and only capable of hostility and childish behavior.

Nicholas002

I thought that this was a place to discuss new ideas and find ways to improve the game, apparently I was wrong.

My idea may not be perfect as it is and may require refinement, but the hostility in some of these replies is not something I expected.

I know it is in the unformatted section, that is why I did my best to format it properly.
I looked through the do not suggest list and there was nothing that I found specifically about booby traps
The attacker may risk losing a few troops, but what heavy plunderer does not have high-level attack buildings and Alcatraz, this is an invalid statement. The person being plundered loses way more than the plunderer. Further, the game is skewed in favor of the plunderer and while there may be some minimal recourse i.e. city shields, they are prohibitively expensive especially for new or low-age players. There really is no other real recourse a player has to protect themselves, thus the game is out of balance.
People are not plundered because they suck at the game. This ridiculous statement assumes that in order to play and/or be successful in this game one has to be a daily plunderer. That is a false statement and a ridiculous argument. Lots of people play this game lots of different ways for lots of different reasons. to assume someone sucks at playing because they play differently than you is rude, arrogant, and childish.
Why shouldn't the person being plundered have the chance of profiting off the plunderer? This is simply the inverse of what is currently being done. To make it fair, both parties need to stand a chance to win or lose.
Throughout history invading armies have had to deal with booby traps in conquered territory, why should this be any different.
Players who whine about others who want to improve the attack/plunder metric just because the idea is different need to grow up. You complain when people whine about being plundered and you whine when someone comes up with an idea to balance that aspect of the game. What you are really saying is I am inflexible and unwilling to consider any changes that might interfere with my own personal play style.

You all can continue to whine and cry about this or you can grow up and we can work together to come up with a better solution to improve the game. My idea was never intended to be the final solution, just a first draft for discussion and constructive criticism. Apparently, this group is incapable of constructive criticism and only capable of hostility and childish behavior.
My my my. Would you like some cheese with your whine?

if your idea is inherently bad, how do you expect constructive criticism?

Emberguard

If this were implemented I’d want it to fully replace all other plunder protection. Why? Because while the initial defending army being attacked may be skewed in the attackers favour (AI is not as good as manual fighting) it’s already heavily skewed in the defenders favour once you’re in the city. Everything except the attack is fully in the hands of the plundered. You also have a city shield that prevents players from attacking at all

Rather then altering the outcome after losing the battle I’d prefer the options available to the defender for the battle itself to be increased in a way that won’t reduce production in the city

DeletedUser34111

If this were implemented I’d want it to fully replace all other plunder protection. Why? Because while the initial defending army being attacked may be skewed in the attackers favour (AI is not as good as manual fighting) it’s already heavily skewed in the defenders favour once you’re in the city. Everything except the attack is fully in the hands of the plundered. You also have a city shield that prevents players from attacking at all

The city shield is useless, especially for new or low-era players as it costs more tavern silver than most of them can generate. As the city owner the only thing in my hands is to level certain GBs to increase a defense percentage, yet even with high-level Defense GBs attackers still just walk through my defenses. The GB defenses percentages really do not appear to have any effect on defeating attackers. Aside from those two things the city owner has no other recourse.

However, I would be fine with eliminating the defensive GBs in favor of booby traps

DeletedUser34111

My my my. Would you like some cheese with your whine?

if your idea is inherently bad, how do you expect constructive criticism?

It is only inherently bad to you. It is actually a great idea and would inject a bit of realism while at the same time providing the city owner with some kind of realistic defense. Further, it is not just my idea. The idea was generated by several players. I just formalized it and submitted it.

Emberguard

. The GB defenses percentages really do not appear to have any effect on defeating attackers.
As an attacker, I find a huge difference between those with boosts and those who don’t bother.

The real difference will be between whether your opponent has rogues, yet to get all three main attacking GBs, get them to lvl 10 or get them hyper lvl’d. Which stage of development the attacker has will determine your needs for boosts as a defender. Also the amount of neighbours who bother with boosts will have an effect on how far a plunderer can get through the hood before they have to stop

The city shield is useless, especially for new or low-era players as it costs more tavern silver than most of them can generate
That doesn’t make it useless. That makes it time dependant. No one is unable to generate enough silver to buy a city shield. They may not like the cost or be able to buy it 24/7 indefinitely, but that’s different from it not being an option or being useless.

BruteForceAttack

Attacker can Attack, You can Defend
You: but Defense is no good, because of AI
ok, then increase your City Defense and Attack.
You: but they can still get thru
It will still hurt the attacker a lot if you have high city defense and City Attack. e.g. with Deal Castle, St Basil etc
You: That's a lot
Ok Put city shield
You: It costs a lot and not worth it
Ok Collect on Time
You: I cant
Sync all your collections to 24hrs, and then from pc with once click and 5 diamonds you can collect everything in one shot
You: I'm only on mobile
Set notifications so that you get alert on your app and collect...
You: I cant collect when i'm at work etc
ok, then sync up all your collection to 24 hrs and collect when you are not at work etc....
ok, reduce buildings that plunderers like. e.g use cf+ arc to make goods instead of goods buildings.

See there is so many ways to prevent/reduce getting plundered..

Your proposal is totally one sided and punishes the attacker simply because you cannot collect your city on time. Come up with something that includes anit booby trap as well as balance. For your idea to be taken seriously.

DeletedUser34111

Wow man wow man , 1. this is not formatted to the requirements or even in the right sub-forum 2. Subbmitted :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: , isdn't submitted in anyway shape of form to the devs.
Ok semantics police. I pulled the guide form this page and filled it out according to the instructions. So unless someone changed the formatting rules without changing the format template it is formatted correctly. Secondly, I did not place the thread here I placed it where it was supposed to go with a poll as instructed. A moderator moved it. I submitted it for the discussion area as I was instructed to do in the instructions. It is no wonder new ideas never get any traction in this game when you have people who are more concerned about semantics than a civil discussion of an idea.

DeletedUser34111

Attacker can Attack, You can Defend
You: but Defense is no good, because of AI
ok, then increase your City Defense and Attack.
You: but they can still get thru
It will still hurt the attacker a lot if you have high city defense and City Attack. e.g. with Deal Castle, St Basil etc
You: That's a lot
Ok Put city shield
You: It costs a lot and not worth it
Ok Collect on Time
You: I cant
Sync all your collections to 24hrs, and then from pc with once click and 5 diamonds you can collect everything in one shot
You: I'm only on mobile
Set notifications so that you get alert on your app and collect...
You: I cant collect when i'm at work etc
ok, then sync up all your collection to 24 hrs and collect when you are not at work etc....
ok, reduce buildings that plunderers like. e.g use cf+ arc to make goods instead of goods buildings.

See there is so many ways to prevent/reduce getting plundered..

Your proposal is totally one sided and punishes the attacker simply because you cannot collect your city on time. Come up with something that includes anit booby trap as well as balance. For your idea to be taken seriously.
You certainly placed a lot of words in my mouth in that post. We never once discussed the ridiculous advice of "collect on time". Why is that ridiculous? Because it assumes that everyone who plays is willing to order their life around a video game. Most people play video games to relax and enjoy they do not plan work, meals, sleep, vacations, and bathroom breaks around a game timer. The idea is not one-sided, although it is admittedly skewed slightly in favor of the defender on purpose, however, the way the game is set up now is one-sided in favor of the attacker. If you do not like the idea then offer something useful to refine it instead of just bashing it.

Sure I can, and have, built high-level defense buildings but the defense bonuses provided by the building do not show any evidence of actually having any effect on protecting a city. If something has no effect how does that help?

I have used a city shield in the past. I have a lot of tavern silver it is not an issue for me. However, the players that get plundered most frequently are new or low era and may even still be finishing their tavern. They do not have the unrealistically high number of tavern silver required to purchase a city shield. Perhaps a better solution then is to bring the price of the city shield into reality.

So far no one here has actually offered any good reasons why this idea is not a good idea. All I see are comments that can be summarized by I do not like it because as a plunderer I might lose something of value to me or use the existing options to defend your city, which obviously do not work or we would not be having this conversation or the cliche collect on time which is the most useless statement ever made when it comes to this entire discussion.

So if you really do not like the idea then offer some original, logical, well-defined reasons why it is not a good idea and offer some solutions to improve the idea instead of just bashing me for trying to make a difference. So far, this forum has not been any better or more effective than the Facebook site.

DevaCat

This is the place to discuss new ideas among other things. Unfortunately yours is not new, and if you had looked harder you would know this and perhaps understood the general response you are getting. You are confusing exasperation with hostility.

I nowhere suggested that to be successful one has to be a daily plunderer. That is your red herring. Your following ad hominem attack is itself childish -- I said nothing about people who play differently. If you want constructive criticism it's better to avoid that sort of bs.

I will restate simply: people who continue to be plundered after being given plenty of means to avoid or mitigate it suck at the game. They do not want to do the work to improve their game experience and instead come here to try to convince others to help them change the game to suit their own personal game style. You think this aspect of the game is unbalanced and unfair. Others disagree.

Collect on time is excellent advice because it works. Too much work for you to arrange your collections for a time convenient for a busy working adult? Too bad.

I do not like your idea, and have zero interest in offering solutions to improve it. If you consider this bashing, not much I can do about how you receive criticism.

Graviton

So far no one here has actually offered any good reasons why this idea is not a good idea.

I thought mine was good: your premise and your assumptions are flawed which makes this idea fruit of the poisonous tree. Being plundered doesn't happen that often; it can be mitigated in several ways; and it's not that big a deal in the first place.

... the cliche collect on time which is the most useless statement ever made when it comes to this entire discussion.

Except that it's the only absolutely, 100% effective method of avoiding being plundered. That makes it the most useful statement ever made when it comes to this discussion. The second most useful statement ever made when it comes to this discussion is to adjust your perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.