• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Submitted Building Sizes in the Name

dad e oh

I'll start by saying I've only been playing about two months. I play on a PC. The following suggestion is something I would find helpful as a new player. In the 'header' of each building is the name and age in parens (Bronze Age), (Iron Age), etc. I would like to see the building size also with the 'x,y' dimensions. e.g. (3x3), (4x3), (3x4). I would know a 4x3 building would 'lean/point' to the right and a 3x4 building would 'lean/point' to the left. As I'm learning the game I am constantly going back to the build menu and finding the right category (Goods, Production, Cultural, Military, etc.) scrolling left/right to find the building and its dimensions. I know buildings cannot be rotated and that their orientation is part of the strategy of the game. Obviously, the 'square' buildings are easy, 3x3, 4x4 to see.

This would be most useful when trying to rearrange my city when adding space and moving buildings. When I 'hover' over the building if i could see the 'x,y' dimensions, along with the name and age, it would help in deciding if and where to move the building, without going to the build menu to look up the dimensions. I suppose I could click 'move' to see if it fits, but seeing the dimensions on the building would help me strategize the planning of my city. I'm only in the Early Middle Age now, but I've seen some advanced Age cities with some large buildings. I think the dimensions on a building could/would be useful. Example: 'Goat Farm (Iron Age)' could be 'Goat Farm (Iron Age) (4x5)' or 'Goat Farm (Iron Age - 4x5)'.

Would it affect game play, I don't think so. It would simply be additional information to the player(s).

It could not be abused. Again, it is only informational.

I don't know if this has been suggested before. So, I offer it here for consideration. It is something the developers would need to decide to add. I would find it helpful as a newbie. Thanks

dad e oh
Yorkton

P.S. I thought I had a good percentage of votes. For those voting 'no', I would be interested in your reason(s). Thanks. (6/29/2022)

Last edited:

Lord Hamilton

I totally agree i have been playing for 2 years and i still need to pick up the building move it to count the open squares a real pain in the butt.

Snek

I think this will make arranging my [very ugly] city a lot easier. I think this change would benefit many players greatly.

Sharmon the Impaler

I voted yes , anyone in the space ages and all the expansions may likely follow suit. It's an exercise all in it self counting the squares and when you have 1500 things to move around during a rebuild it is a real pain. It has no exploits and would be as simple as adding a class to the building name that adds it to the name without altering the original class.

Lord Hamilton

As shown in the attached images, this info is already in the Building/Reconstruction Menu. I see no real benifit to changing all building names to read (for example) "Botanical Rotunda (3x3)", when the size is already shown in the menu's. For that reason, I'm a Nay.
View attachment 19700View attachment 19701
I make small changes in my town very often this mostly avoids a full overhaul of the entire city in that future, for this reason its a good idea.

dad e oh

As shown in the attached images, this info is already in the Building/Reconstruction Menu. I see no real benifit to changing all building names to read (for example) "Botanical Rotunda (3x3)", when the size is already shown in the menu's. For that reason, I'm a Nay.
View attachment 19700View attachment 19701
Ok, it's in the Reconstruction Menu. I am referring to regular game play. I don't need to or want to go to the Reconstruction Menu to rearrange the entire city. I'm looking for the additional information for small changes as I'm playing and building. And, yes, it's on the Building Menu. As I said, I am continually going to the Building Menu, selecting the right 'category', scrolling left/right to find the building, then click on the building to see the dimensions. Then i close the Building menu and go back to my city and locate the building in question. At a minimum that's 4-5 mouse clicks, possibly more. With the dimensions in the name I could simply 'mouse over/hover over' the building and see the information I'm looking for with zero mouse clicks. I see it as a time saver.

Last edited:

CDmark

I like it, I too make small changes at times, not using reconstruction mode so it would be helpful. Event buildings are not in the building menu. In fact, I only have 2 buildings that are in the "buildings menu". The first is a military building for troops via Traz and the other is blacksmiths (I can remember that one, 2x2, lol). So I am a yes

Lord Corwin

Yay. It would be useful in regular game play for the same reason it's useful in the reconstruction menu. I don't think it needs to be in the header, but somewhere in the pop-up that appears when you hover - again, just as in the reconstruction menu.

dad e oh

I like it, I too make small changes at times, not using reconstruction mode so it would be helpful. Event buildings are not in the building menu. In fact, I only have 2 buildings that are in the "buildings menu". The first is a military building for troops via Traz and the other is blacksmiths (I can remember that one, 2x2, lol). So I am a yes
Thank you. I did not know or realize Event buildings are not in the building menu. That means finding the dimensions is a bit more difficult, probably by picking up the building and counting squares. This gets even more difficult in advanced ages with very tall buildings in a crowded city (from what I have seen of some advanced cities).

dad e oh

Yay. It would be useful in regular game play for the same reason it's useful in the reconstruction menu. I don't think it needs to be in the header, but somewhere in the pop-up that appears when you hover - again, just as in the reconstruction menu.
Okay, I'll modify my request/suggestion. The size/dimensions doesn't necessarily need to be in the header, but somewhere on the 'pop up' that shows when you hover over the building. Like it does from the construction menus.

Dominator - X

I vote yes. I have asked this very question many times as to why it is not already there, especially for moving just a few buildings around. You can use the Recon Mode. But it is more work than needed. I use the Helper (Town Overview). It does not show the dimensions, per se, but you can use nearby roads or similar buildings that are nearby roads to figure out the dimensions quickly. But, yeah, it would be preferable to have them in the hover profile.