• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Challenge: Never Sell a Building

UBERhelp1

It was about New Year's when I wanted to shake things up and a start a new city. But I didn't want to make a normal city. Instead, I thought I'd try a little challenge: never deleting a building. The rules I'm following are as below:
  1. Once you place a building, you can not delete/sell it EXCEPT for the one case where an abortable (story or bonus) quest asks you to delete a building, and you need to do so to progress further.
    • However, roads can be upgraded from age to age, but again, not deleted.
    • Other buildings can also be upgraded (such as residentials), but only if they are of the same age.
  2. You are allowed to move buildings.
  3. No GB above your current age, and no trading down goods from above your current age.
So with that in mind, I started my city on Dilmun and this is what it looks like after the first week or so.
PLaCejO.png

I didn't realize until I looked back on it that you don't need to build the Fruit Farm (it's an abortable quest). I did place down the two blacksmiths and warrior's barracks though, the former for RQs and the latter for fighting on the cMap. I'm definitely going to need some

So far it hasn't been too hard, but I'm saving as much space (haven't placed expansions) for when I move to the Iron Age. Overall, my goal is to keep this city going for at least a year and see how far I can get. I originally planned to guild hop for RQs and blueprints, but I didn't realize just how few guilds were on Dilmun that are free to join, so I've basically hopped every >1 member, non-application guild already.

I also decided to make a video about it, and plan on making monthly updates to the series, and also posting here.

xivarmy

You need to build a fruit farm for the oracle line anyways i think don't you?

Fair Trade (Bronze Age) requires you to make some bananas. And if it's abortable, that's new :)

(Though if by your rules you're allowed to sell it at "Make Room for the Great Building" because you have to sell 1 building, that would seem an opportune moment to toss it)

UBERhelp1

You need to build a fruit farm for the oracle line anyways i think don't you?

Fair Trade (Bronze Age) requires you to make some bananas. And if it's abortable, that's new :)

(Though if by your rules you're allowed to sell it at "Make Room for the Great Building" because you have to sell 1 building, that would seem an opportune moment to toss it)
I ended up selling the hunter for that quest. Should have done fruit farm, but I hadn't gotten diamonds from that RQ (never did, btw, since it would take me 2 days). That explains it though. I was looking through the footage yesterday and was wondering why I would even have decided to build it in the first place :p

xivarmy

I ended up selling the hunter for that quest. Should have done fruit farm, but I hadn't gotten diamonds from that RQ (never did, btw, since it would take me 2 days). That explains it though. I was looking through the footage yesterday and was wondering why I would even have decided to build it in the first place :p
The warrior barracks is the one that gives me the most question "why?" in your town atm. But I have no idea how many sell quests are in your near future as it's not something I'd usually look into :p I would either want 2 spear barracks (because an instant-army does have longterm usefulness even if you never get a chance to dump em - EMA PvP arena in particular, 2 spear barracks is wonderful to start), or a stone thrower if I was going to splurge on an unremovable BA barracks to make fighting a bit further on continent more viable pre-iron age (ballista camp isn't til the end of iron age, but stone throwers work in most of the same places).

Interesting question: How are you approaching events?

They often tell you to build a bunch of things - which you then wouldn't be able to sell. Are you going to just stop on them at that point? Try to line up story quests to mesh? If an event quest told you to sell a building (not sure if they do), would that "count" as an unabortable quest?

Are you allowed to downgrade and reupgrade residential buildings by your rules for gaining population? And do the same with roads for happiness?

UBERhelp1

They often tell you to build a bunch of things - which you then wouldn't be able to sell. Are you going to just stop on them at that point? Try to line up story quests to mesh? If an event quest told you to sell a building (not sure if they do), would that "count" as an unabortable quest?

Are you allowed to downgrade and reupgrade residential buildings by your rules for gaining population? And do the same with roads for happiness?
Events are nonessential so will only be doing what I can. Don't want to fill my entire city up for each event and then get stuck :)

And I suppose yes, I could upgrade/downgrade residentials for population quests. The only problem comes where I'd actually need free population. Since I won't be able to rely on event buildings too much, the population for the most part will be needed to support any buildings, at least until I can get the prints for a ToB. As for roads, I don't see why not, though it could run through coins/supplies a little faster than I'd like.

xivarmy

Events are nonessential so will only be doing what I can. Don't want to fill my entire city up for each event and then get stuck :)

And I suppose yes, I could upgrade/downgrade residentials for population quests. The only problem comes where I'd actually need free population. Since I won't be able to rely on event buildings too much, the population for the most part will be needed to support any buildings, at least until I can get the prints for a ToB. As for roads, I don't see why not, though it could run through coins/supplies a little faster than I'd like.
You could also save up some stuff you "want" until the next event to build - i.e. let's say you want to put up some level 2 faces or gates. You could wait til an event quest tells you "time to build decorations" to put them up.

UBERhelp1

You could also save up some stuff you "want" until the next event to build - i.e. let's say you want to put up some level 2 faces or gates. You could wait til an event quest tells you "time to build decorations" to put them up.
True, but I bet most event questlines would have far too many building... building quests to make it possible to make it all the way to a fully leveled main building.

Emberguard

I started a challenge like that once..... and very quickly forgot to continue it xD

I didn't realize until I looked back on it that you don't need to build the Fruit Farm (it's an abortable quest).
But is the Oracle of Delphi Questline abortable?

Unless you're not doing any Quests until halfway through Iron Age Questline then you're going to have to do the Oracle of Delphi, and that requires a Fruit Farm

Mor-Rioghain

I started a challenge like that once..... and very quickly forgot to continue it xD

Unless you're not doing any Quests until halfway through Iron Age Questline then you're going to have to do the Oracle of Delphi, and that requires a Fruit Farm
Yes.

UBERhelp1

I.... did not know that. I guess I'm learning all kinds of new things today :D

Mor-Rioghain

No. not abortable. RIP that fruit farm.
Yes, I just looked up the questline on the Wiki and realized that I was incorrect; the questline is not abortable. Hmmm, I'd forgotten that. Sorry! Was just coming back to correct my post when I saw yours. :)

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

So... here's an update. Nothing too interesting honestly, but finished off the Forge Bowl event with some Classical Garden Kits. I didn't have the time to get the Epic kits on the last day unfortunately. Here's my current layout:
1677804339709.png

I did manage to pick up a lot of goods and units though, and I've also placed a few IA buildings.

Emberguard

Question. Does your requirements extend to Cultural Settlements?

Technically you probably could do all of them without deleting.... it'd just take significantly longer xD

xivarmy

Technically you probably could do all of them without deleting.... it'd just take significantly longer xD
I actually had looked into something *close* to this at some point - where instead of delete and rebuild you just buy enough expansions to keep the things you need (because those delete, build culture, delete, build production cycles are what drives me most batty about settlements). It's a *lot* more expansions to have both culture and production up at the same time!

I still allowed for deletion of obsolete buildings of course, so it'd be a bit harder still :p

UBERhelp1

I think it would be possible but definitely a pain. I don't think the overall settlement would be bad (houses + goods buildings) but diplomacy would be absolutely horrible. You would need so many expansions....