• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Champion unit in Winter event

DeletedUser14229

does it improve as you advance in age, or is it just an IA unit?

DeletedUser

Nope; Champs don't age with your city.
Neither the units, nor the building. They're at the age you won them.(So keeping them in your inv untill you reach next era doesn't help...)

DeletedUser2145

Both units and the Champion's Retreat building remain in the age you won them. However, the building can be upgraded using a Renovation Kit (assuming you've acquired one). The units obviously cannot be upgraded.

DeletedUser14229

so if I get this renovation kit, then I can make the Champ Retreat be strong in the following age also? so on and so forth?

I just don't want to waste the stars on it now, in Iron Age, when I will be in EMA tonight, and it be totally obsolete and worthless in LMA. Is it a waste?

DeletedUser8152

I wouldn't get it if I were at the end of an age. But then I don't think they are all that great anyway.

DeletedUser12587

i won a champion's retreat but have no idea what its purpose is. can someone please tell me?

thanks

DeletedUser6163

Champion unit gives an attack/defense bonus to the army when it is killed in battle, only applicable once after the first champ is killed. Having multiple champions doesn't multiply the bonus. I agree in early ages they are not any or much different than the fast unit of that age, but from Modern Era on the Champion turns into a heavy unit. Contemporary Era champs are the bomb diggity.

DeletedUser

Champion unit gives an attack/defense bonus to the army when it is killed in battle, only applicable once after the first champ is killed. Having multiple champions doesn't multiply the bonus. I agree in early ages they are not any or much different than the fast unit of that age, but from Modern Era on the Champion turns into a heavy unit. Contemporary Era champs are the bomb diggity.
yes, from modern era turn into heavy unit but still fighting as a fast unit

-----update-----
I have modern age champion and they are declared as a fast unit and not as a heavy unit

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1862

Both units and the Champion's Retreat building remain in the age you won them. However, the building can be upgraded using a Renovation Kit (assuming you've acquired one). The units obviously cannot be upgraded.
Does this mean that if you've trained a Champion in one age (attached to the building), then use the Reno kit to upgrade the building, the unit itself will still be of the age it was trained in? So to get an 'upgraded' Champion, you'd need to kill it and train a new one? Or would the unit upgrade with the building when you used the Reno Kit?

DeletedUser

Already trained Champions stay the age they're trained in.
So yes: In order to get "upgraded" champions you need to kill off the old ones first.
Alcatraz will produce the upgraded champions(if any) anyway.

DeletedUser1862

I'd assumed the Alcatraz would produce the 'upgraded' version, since it's supposed to build from the building, but I don't have one of those yet and was wondering if it was actually worth it.
Thanks for the info (stored away).

DeletedUser10207

If you upgrade a champ building, you will lose the attached units you have that are that age but keep any unattached units typically. The champs are one of the best units to have in the later ages. Just be sure to pick up a renovation kit to be able to upgrade in the future.

DeletedUser14276

I'm kind of new. Where do you pick up renovation kits, as a prize in the winter event?

DeletedUser1862

I think the Reno kits are given as prizes during the special events for event buildings. Since you're kinda new, I'd guess that you wouldn't have much use for them yet even if you'd gotten them.

DeletedUser2145

If the Renovation Kit is offered in the winter event it'll be one of the daily specials.

DeletedUser

Even if you're new, the renovation-kit is QUITE worthwile.
If you can muster the patience to keep it in your inventory untill you've entered the last era of the tech-tree...

DeletedUser14276

Well, I scored a champion retreat a couple days ago, & thought it would be boss, assuming it would level with me, but if it doesn't, then I'll need a renovate kit. Do they show up elsewhere?

DeletedUser11279

I f you have a Champion Retreat Building and a Renovation Kit, hold off until you get to the Colonial Age or Higher to use the Renovation Kit. Champions are not all that great in the lower Ages, but using a Champion in the Colonial, Industrial or Progressive age as a Defending unit is awesome.