• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Changelog 1.71 Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser4770

Hi!

Please discuss the 1.71 changes here :). We are interested in your comments, concerns and suggestions!

Yours,
FoE Team

qaccy

Non-stop events! :mad: Have mercy. :)

Right? However, I think quest events are a nice way to let players get some premium items here and there without feeling like they 'have to' buy diamonds in order to win (like the currency events). I do think the quests should be more varied, if not simplified, though. For instance:

1. Quests that require you to complete a specific production could instead ask for any production. I know this is possible as it was seen in the final quest for the Valentine's event! This would allow players to continue their normal/preferred production cycles and still get quests done, as opposed to the current model where players may be forced to select options that they don't like. It seems to me that quests most often ask for 5-minute or 24-hour productions, when a significant portion of players uses 4- and 8-hour cycles.
2. Quests to research a technology, scout a province, and acquire a province should be re-evaluated as these, again, may cause players to feel forced to change their playstyle (I personally groan when I see these quests, because they feel more like work than fun). Some players choose to remain in a specific age for a prolonged period of time, and these quests can eventually cause them to either advance beyond the capabilities of their production/military, or to advance to a new age when they perhaps may not be ready for it. Yes, advancement is definitely a core aspect of the game but we all achieve that in different ways and I believe that events should be open to that.

All that being said, events are still an extra opportunity to get free stuff which is always nice!

DeletedUser6163

The drummer being given the rally ability is still not going to make it worth using in the later ages. Maybe a little better to use in Bronze/Iron Age and maybe EMA depending on the setup. If Inno wanted to improve it in such a way to make it useful for more players they should allow units like the drummer to age up in a way similar to the champion retreat so it has at least stats similar to other military of the player's age.

It's just one of those "improvements" some of us look at and roll our eyes and move on to the next thing because it's not going to affect how we use that drummer one way or another.

DeletedUser8152

The drummer is closer now though. Just looking at raw numbers, you lose 1/8 = 12.5% of your combat force. Each remaining unit lasts (on average) 10% longer from the hit point. The effect of the boosts is harder to characterize, but if you're at even attack vs defense, +6% attack/defense bonus is worth about +/-6% damage (on average). So in an even fight the defense bonus means your units will last 16% longer, and they will be doing 6% more damage.

So it is close... you give up a net -6.5% attack damage but your net defense strength goes up by 3.5%. That still seems like a loss, but the AI might waste a hit or two on the drummer. So it could be that you come out ahead. Combine that with the +4% bonus from the drummer school itself and I think it's not so terrible any more.

qaccy

The drummer is closer now though. Just looking at raw numbers, you lose 1/8 = 12.5% of your combat force. Each remaining unit lasts (on average) 10% longer from the hit point. The effect of the boosts is harder to characterize, but if you're at even attack vs defense, +6% attack/defense bonus is worth about +/-6% damage (on average). So in an even fight the defense bonus means your units will last 16% longer, and they will be doing 6% more damage.

So it is close... you give up a net -6.5% attack damage but your net defense strength goes up by 3.5%. That still seems like a loss, but the AI might waste a hit or two on the drummer. So it could be that you come out ahead. Combine that with the +4% bonus from the drummer school itself and I think it's not so terrible any more.

I don't believe that it should be mathed out so much to be rationalized (players using them in High Middle Ages and below don't, because they're effective even as fighters in those ages), and while I can't say for sure I doubt that's Inno's intent either. Merely going off the amount of points awarded by drummers, it's clear to me that their intent is to be utilized only by low-age, possibly new-to-the-game players. They followed the drummer's precedent with the upcoming color guard, which makes me think that, were Champions to be released by today's dev team, even they'd follow a similar pattern of being ageless, providing their bonuses but having 10/10 stats give or take and being useless in higher ages.

I'll stress again that this post is all pure speculation on my part with a bit of hyperbole, but the question in my mind is: Why didn't Inno consider late-age players in regards to these new units?

DeletedUser13452

It is an improvement, no doubt, but still falls short of making it useful for high ages. I have found it useful through EMA and now might like it for HMA, but that's about it.

DeletedUser8152

I suppose one thing my quick analysis leaves out is that you probably already have some pretty large boosts (from GBs, unit bonuses, and terrain). I think the 6% bonus just goes off the base attack and defense numbers. So a unit with base attack 100 would get +6, but it might actually be attacking at 200 due to other bonuses. That means the net improvement is just 3%, not really 6%. But of course you lost a real 100% from the missing unit. So yeah, it probably still isn't worth using.

(Not to mention the significant problem that drummers don't play well with rogues... they could have changed that for us!)

DeletedUser1753

Was it intentional to break the invite a friend button in the social bar? The popup doesn't appear anymore

amg777

Anyone know if the new drummer boost applies to (1) units in city defense and (2) units in GvG defense armies?

DeletedUser9184

Anyone know if the new drummer boost applies to (1) units in city defense and (2) units in GvG defense armies?
Yes to both: think of it as the morale bonus, just with a different effect: instead of adding 1HP, it adds 6% attack and defense
(Note this unit still has its moral bonus as well).

amg777

Thanks ByeorDie...I expect drummers will become common in IA GvG defense armies, where it's weak a/d isn't such a problem.