• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Cheating on FP swaps

Fizxguy

I have discovered recently that a number of players in my guild have been "short changing" me on their FP swaps. Is cheating like this a normal expectation in the game? i.e. Is it part of the game to steal from Guild Members? It seems that this type of behavior destroys the "trust" relationship of the guild? I guess I'm okay to adapt to this new reality but I'd like some guidance on whether this practice is widespread. Also, is there any way of "auditing" other players contributions by time other than keeping you own log?

DeletedUser13838

There isn't a means that's embedded in the game but you can ask all your swap partners to post a message to the thread. If there's a discrepancy it would be straightforward to show but might take a little work. For example, someone has 60 fps on your GB but the msgs posted by the player totals 75.

sirblu

I have discovered recently that a number of players in my guild have been "short changing" me on their FP swaps. Is cheating like this a normal expectation in the game? i.e. Is it part of the game to steal from Guild Members? It seems that this type of behavior destroys the "trust" relationship of the guild? I guess I'm okay to adapt to this new reality but I'd like some guidance on whether this practice is widespread. Also, is there any way of "auditing" other players contributions by time other than keeping you own log?

I would contact the Guildmates you think have offended you to see if was perhaps just a oversight or a communication issue or a mis-understand of what was expected. Als contact the Guild Founder for direction.

Fizxguy

Thanks for the reply. I understand that FP swap cheating is not "normal". I had done as you suggested. In one case the member said it was an error and corrected it immediately. In the second case, I got a Trump-like obfuscating reply and no action. After 20 minutes I went back and changed the thread back to my GB. I let the member know and copied one of the guild leaders. I got another obfuscating reply and the member left the conversation. I finally figured out where the "search" entry is for the forum and found one other thread on the topic that confirms that cheating on FP swaps is frowned upon in that guild anyway. Thanks

spnnr

I recently came across this phenomenon, but from my experience (across 4 guilds) only a small minority (less than 6%) of the players have done it with about 1/2 of those intentionally seeking to defraud. Those that I have found involved I have PMed and those who chose to ignore it have been removed from the threads by the thread admins or booted. Cheating and parasitic behavior is irksome to say the least.

As for keeping a check -its difficult , but guildies should accept the personal responsibility of checking fps they donate and recieve and report it to the guild leaders if resolution hasn't occured via PM.

DeletedUser

It is extra work to keep track, and can sometimes be really difficult when there are multiple donors and it is a fairly low level GB that might level quickly. However, as a guild leader myself, if shortchanging is confirmed and/or an evasive reply/no reply is received when contacted, the offending player would hit the exit door very hard and very fast. :D

ODragon

When you post (and not so easy if you are posting in multiple swap threads), post the GB you want them to add to and your current total.

LoA 53

So when you see the next person, you will know if you got everything. (IE, you are at 63 or not.)

DeletedUser28670

Contact your friendly Guild Leaders and Founder(s) so they can kick these players or reprimand them.

But do remember to contact the players and ask them if it was an accident first.

This practice is NOT allowed in most if not all guilds and is not widespread or encouraged.

Mustapha00

I can count the number of times this has happened on less than one hand- thankfully.

In each case, including one recently, the Guild leaders conducted an investigation, heard from both players involved and ended up kicking the person who shortchanged- exactly as it should be. If your Guild has any ethics at all, they'll do something similar.

DeletedUser11463

Only 1 time did we have a player who short-changed a bunch of people. He was quickly booted. Often something happens when 2 people post at the same time. Both end up putting their points on the first person, so the 2nd person gets skipped. One solution: Post in the thread first, get out of the thread, then wait 20 seconds or so, then hop back in. If you are still showing and the expected person is just up from you, then you are good to go. Then drop the points on that person.
Thieves suck and should be booted from the guild if it was an intentional act.

DeletedUser27889

We had this one time with a newer member, turned out this member didn't understand how the swap thread worked and would put the points on when he had them. IE they thought a 5 point thread means in 5 hours you put on your accumulated hourly points. They just didn't understand everyone expected them to put the points on right away.

Unfortunately the member that first noticed their points weren't on right away took to guild chat to call the offender a traitor and badmouth them as a thief. That's why it's important to talk to people, or pass it up to your leadership to talk for you, it could just be a simple misunderstanding.